TCC Brake Switch circuit - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 8:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

TCC Brake Switch circuit

How are you guys connecting this circuit to the brake switch? I just came across a switch that looks to be from PSI conversion, but not sure if it can be used In place of my original brake switch, 64 Malibu. Donít have a link to the pic but found it on Ls1tech.

64 Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

85 Monte Carlo SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 9:12 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: TCC Brake Switch circuit

That is the switch I'm using to control the torque converter clutch on my 70 El Camino with a 4L60E transmission. I don't have a copy of their instructions here but they were very easy to follow as long as you have similar wire colors as the stock wiring harness had. No major problems here except as noted below.

My only complaint was that the body of their switch is made of plastic and those plastic threads did not fit tightly enough in the brake pedal mount to retain a good adjustment for brake light actuation. But I went to a specialty nut and bolt place and got a thin, low profile nut to thread onto these plastic threads. Problem solved.

I bought extra nuts because it seemed silly to buy only one; they were mere pennies each in cost. I found one of them the other day and will send it to you if you need it.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 9:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

I might take you up on that. Iíll need to get the switch here and see if it fits on my mount. I wouldnít think there would be much difference between your 70 and my 64 but it may fit. Iíll pm you if I need them, but it may be a little while. Iím close to firing it up and still trying to button up some of the wires left, the tcc seems to be the last, the switch should take care of that.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 8:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Think I used an 80's S10 brake switch, works like factory.

If you don't want to change the switch you can run a relay to reverse the polarity for the TCC. It needs power w/ key on, brake off, then no power with brake on.

Get a run of the mill accessory relay (normally referred to as 30 or 40 amp relay), needs to have 5 pins.

Keyed power to Pin 30
TCC wire to pin 87A
brake light wire to Pin 85
Ground to Pin 86

This will allowed keyed power to go from Pin 30 to 87A. When you hit the brakes the 12V from the brake wire energizes the relay, keyed power is removed from 87A. Done.

Good luck!

*EDIT* Here's my rat's nest.. If I remember right, drilled a 1/2" hole in the clutch pedal bumper and ran a switch for the clutch too. Use it for safety start and cruise control signal.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 4:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Thanks Jeff, ran into the relay wiring diagram after I posted, have a switch on the way.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 7:54 PM
Team Member
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes64 View Post
Thanks Jeff, ran into the relay wiring diagram after I posted, have a switch on the way.

You could just pull the switch you already have in your Monte.
GM# 25524848

LS Swap

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 11:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Full disclosure, I have not done an LS swap. But...I have done both a torque converter lock up and a 3rd tail light conversion in my 67. IIRC, I used either an S10 or early 80's Camaro brake light switch for the TC. Mechanical threads worked. Color code on the brake wires were the same. Made a small adapter pig tail for the TC. But you could cut and crimp wires.

The later 3rd tail light used an brake switch after '86 (of course) from a full size B-Body (Caprice, etc.). honestly, I think my 90's ZR-1 switch would also work. Not suggesting you should do the tail light. The point is that a later switch is an easy swap. Pay Help! brand, Napa or used prices.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 8:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOiBoy View Post
You could just pull the switch you already have in your Monte.
GM# 25524848
Ha, whole different issue, doesn't work the way it should.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in