6.0 LS2 swap in 67 Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

6.0 LS2 swap in 67 Chevelle

I really simply bought a beautiful 67 Chevelle that was done by an older gentleman a number of years ago. It only has 110 mikes on a GM 6.0 create engine and was not a cheap build. It seems to have bad driveline angles as it vibrates badly and looks visually trans tail down and need some help. It looks to have energy suspension swap mounts on it currently.

1st post, thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Re: 6.0 LS2 swap in 67 Chevelle

Welcome. You are in the correct place.
So are you wanting to troubleshoot driveline issues to begin with?
Or are you headed straight for an LS swap? My guess is driveline issues may still be there, you may want to fix the potential issues before you start changing things.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

The swap is currently complete. I’ve put maybe 50 miles on the car and can tell that it has a driveline vibration. After looking at it last night it is definitely tipped down at the trans and the trans dipstick is also on the tunnel. It has energy suspension mounts on it. Found that out only because of the pics of the the parts in the build photos I got with the car.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

If there was a mount that brought the engine slightly forward, or at least more level it would likely work better? I can then adjust pinion angles with adjustable rear control arms once the engine/trans angle is lessened.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 3:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Download the Tremec driveline angle app on your phone and follow the steps. It'll let you know if you have too much angle on a u-joint. Likely the u-joint at the trans is the issue. If you can't easily raise the tailshaft you could buy a driveshaft with a CV joint on the tailshaft end. they'll take up to 6-7 degrees of angle.

https://www.driveshaftshop.com/domes...-or-muscle-car

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 4:54 PM Thread Starter

I think that my driveline angles are way off. I will get it up on a hoist and do the calculations, but see that the trans is angles way down compared to the diff. MY need trans shims and adjustable rear control arms to fix. Seems like the motor could come down and forward a little to help??
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 11:00 PM
Tech Team
Rick

The driveline angles on my 70 El Camino (an A-body) are perfect using the Holley forward bias engine mounts on the frame with model year 2000 Camaro mounts on the engine - matches the Holley mounts perfectly. I'm not sure how they work on a 67 but they have to be better than what you are describing. I was also able to retain the use of my stock transmission cross member but moved back a little for my 4L60E transmission.

There was no need to change the pinion angle at the differential with these Holley mounts or carve up the sheet metal on my EC floor. My only wish was that I had beat on the sheet metal a little adjacent to where my trans cooling lines emerge from the transmission to give them a little more room. This is with a 5.3 liter LS engine out of a 1999 GMC Sierra.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 3:01 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN67 View Post
I think that my driveline angles are way off. I will get it up on a hoist and do the calculations, but see that the trans is angles way down compared to the diff. MY need trans shims and adjustable rear control arms to fix. Seems like the motor could come down and forward a little to help??

In order to get correct measurements, you'll need to have the suspension loaded, so hopefully you know someone with a 4 post lift.
71350SS and davewho1 like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 9:02 AM
Tech Team
Todd

The forward-bias engine mounting brackets that are part of the Hooker Blackheart (mistakenly referred to as Holley by many people)1964-67 A-body LS swap system are based around the use of the same 4th-gen GM F-body engine mounts that B52Bombardier1 mentions above in his post and provide the lowest possible engine mounting position available for this swap application to address the issues you are encountering. Obtaining the low installed engine height they provide requires the use of a Holley 302-3 oil pan also, since there is no other available oil pan that has the same sump length or front end profile (both the depth of the front of the pan and the radius of its edges are critical for fitment). Although the combined use of the engine mount set up and the Holley 302-3 oil pan will greatly improve your drivetrain geometry situation, you need to be aware that I know of no other headers, besides the Hooker Blackheart mid-length and long-tube headers that will fit the engine at this optimized position. The Hooker LS cast iron exhaust manifolds will fit also. Here's a few images that depict what I've described here...the clearance shown between the inner tie rod and the Holley oil pan is with the steering at full lock and shows how important the specific geometry of the oil pan is. There are also rear-bias engine mounting brackets available within the system, but they are really only suitable for use with the GM legacy transmissions (TH350, TH400, ect...)if no cutting of the floor/tunnel is desired by the user.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	597364   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	597366   Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	597368   Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	597370  

Jeff65SS, pannetron and Dave26 like this.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 2:44 PM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

Hooker Cast Headers fit like a glove. I too have the 1" forward offset mounts. 2* tranny down 1* driveshaft down and 2* pinion up.
LS3 with 4L70 12 bolt posi 3:73
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 8:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the information. I have to check which oil pan was used but I know for sure that energy suspension mounts have been used for both the engine and transmission. In looking at clearances it looks as though I have a fair bit of space between the top of the crossmember and front oil pan, maybe a couple inches? I also seem to have plenty of clearance for steering. My brother has a hoist to use and I am aware that the suspension needs to be loaded. Are use my digital angle finder and work out the driveline and angles. . My assumption is that I need to shim the transmission up and use adjustable rear upper control arms in the rear to push the pinion angle down.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 9:03 PM Thread Starter

Also it looks as though I have the mid length headers on it. I guess my guestion is if the energy mounts have a good history of placing the engine in a good location and if I just need to address driveline angles? If not then I can buy new mounts and go from there as long as game mounts are compatible with other manufacturers?
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 9:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN67 View Post
I really simply bought a beautiful 67 Chevelle that was done by an older gentleman a number of years ago. It only has 110 mikes on a GM 6.0 create engine and was not a cheap build. It seems to have bad driveline angles as it vibrates badly and looks visually trans tail down and need some help. It looks to have energy suspension swap mounts on it currently.

1st post, thanks in advance
Driveline vibration can be caused by bad driveshaft u-joints. They may need to be replaced. Cheap to do.

You mentioned the trans looking like it's tail is too low; have you tried raising it 1/4" at a time to see if that helps ?

You can use an angle finder to check your driveline angles

https://www.harborfreight.com/dial-g...q=angle+finder

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

I have a gauge like the one you linked to. I have not raised the tail shaft yet, just ordered some shins. Plan to buy upper rear adjustable control arms and get the driveline alignment figured out.
pannetron likes this.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 19, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage

If you can't get your drive line angles within a good range, another option might be to get a Driveshaft Shop driveshaft with a front CV joint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in