Exhaust advice - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By rpol78

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 18, 5:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Exhaust advice

Getting ready to temporarily install the exhaust from the original 350 that was in the Malibu when I got it and wondered if you think it would be worth it given that the L99 in my restomod (link below) has the catalytic converters still in place.

Here's a link to a short video of the sound when the Malibu was still running:
http://nick.mcn.org/restomodpics/VID...091938_394.mp4

I like that sound and I hope that it will be similar, maybe a little lest rumble because of the cats. What do you guys think? Is it worth the effort to do the install or do you have some particular recommendation? When I finally figure out the exhaust I will probably have the whole thing redone by someone who knows what they are doing.

TIA, Nick

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 18, 8:27 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage
Re: Exhaust advice

Im sorry but what exactly is the question? Cat delete?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 18, 8:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampoerna415 View Post
Im sorry but what exactly is the question? Cat delete?
Sorry if I wasn't clear... I'm keeping the cats and the entire smog system along with the displacement on demand.

If you don't like the sound, there may not be any reason to reply; on the other hand...

Do you think the sound your hear is worth the effort to do the temporary install or do you have some particular recommendation? Or, do you think the L99 with cats will cause the sound to be changed so significantly that they won't sound anything like the sound in the video?

Just trying to get to a logical starting point with the exhaust...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 9:37 AM
Tech Team

Nick, I'll take a shot

My personal opinion is it won't sound like the 350. If you listen to an old school camaro vs the new camaro the LS has a different sound. It's kind of like a big block has a different sound than a small block running through the same exhaust. In addition, mufflers, pipe configuration (i.e. x pipe vs no x), headers vs manifolds, etc all impact the sound that comes out the exhaust tip on a given engine.

I have an L99 with a maggie (plus planning other mods) that I'm putting in my '67 but haven't gotten near the point of hearing it run. I'm running the hooker blackheart headers and am planning on running the complete hooker blackheart 3" exhaust on it so it will breathe. It will more than likely have a unique sound and if I wan't to change it up I'll look at different mufflers.

Is your current exhaust 2 1/2" or ?, mandrel bent or not, what type of mufflers? Are you planning on leaving the L99 completely stock (i.e. cam swap, headers, etc)?

By the way the work you've done on the car is pretty impressive.
pcguy likes this.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
Nick, I'll take a shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post

My personal opinion is it won't sound like the 350. If you listen to an old school camaro vs the new camaro the LS has a different sound. It's kind of like a big block has a different sound than a small block running through the same exhaust. In addition, mufflers, pipe configuration (i.e. x pipe vs no x), headers vs manifolds, etc all impact the sound that comes out the exhaust tip on a given engine.

I have an L99 with a maggie (plus planning other mods) that I'm putting in my '67 but haven't gotten near the point of hearing it run. I'm running the hooker blackheart headers and am planning on running the complete hooker blackheart 3" exhaust on it so it will breathe. It will more than likely have a unique sound and if I wan't to change it up I'll look at different mufflers.

Is your current exhaust 2 1/2" or ?, mandrel bent or not, what type of mufflers? Are you planning on leaving the L99 completely stock (i.e. cam swap, headers, etc)?

By the way the work you've done on the car is pretty impressive.

Stock L99 exhaust manifolds, 2-1/2" all mandrel and no x-pipe (I think that was the stock L99 setup, at least that was how it was when I got the donor) and the mufflers are Flow Masters (the slightly longer variety, but no markings, probably knockoffs). No plans on changing the performance aspect of the car, (the C6ZR1 fills that gap nicely); it's just a touring show car and maybe really a trailer queen. Since I posted this I have mocked up the original muffler parts so the I can tack them together for a test when I finally start the beast.

Many thanks for the response and the kind words on the project.

Nick

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

My '06 GTO had an SLP Loudmouth 2 catback and it sounded pretty awesome. I also really liked the sound of the Spintechs on LS engines. Personally, I don't like the Flowmaster sound. Every Mustang on earth had Flowmasters in the '90s and I got burned out on them. And I agree, an LS sounds different than earlier V8s, regardless of mufflers.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

BTW, just had a chance to look at your build thread; your project is very impressive not to mention the shop you have... WOW

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 11:30 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy View Post
BTW, just had a chance to look at your build thread; your project is very impressive not to mention the shop you have... WOW
Thanks Nick. Actually it's good to have friends as the shots with the frame machine, paint booth, etc were at a life long friend of mines body shop.

I had flowmasters on my Camaro at one point but didn't like the droning at certain RPMs so is switch to dynomax turbo mufflers but kept the flowmaster 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent pipes. If it was mine, I'd get the final exhaust in place with the cats (since CA emissions are pretty strict) and if I didn't like the sound I'd play around with the mufflers. As long as you're using a standard length/offset or straight through mufflers they'd be pretty easy to swap out.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 18, 2:21 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

LS has a different firing order than SBC chevy, between that and the heads, it will sound different. If you like the exhaust, try it. Get it installed as inexpensively as possible, if you don't like it, then change it.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in