Going lsx in a 72 El Camino - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 6:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Going lsx in a 72 El Camino

Been a long time since I've posted here. I've decided to go LSx. Right now I'm thinking a 5.3. My goals really are just to get better fuel economy, reliability and parts readily available at the local parts store. My plan in the next couple years is to take the El camino and a covnverted camper trailer across the country to fly paramotors and see where life takes me from there. A little more power will be nice but I need to squeeze every drop of fuel I can. And yes I've thought of just selling the Camino and getting prius but, nahhh.
Currently I have a bone stock 350(72 block but not numbers matching) with a quadrajet and a 200-4r transmission. Currently I get 14-16 mpg, and it's a great running combo. The main bearings have had a bit of a knock for the last 30,000 miles and oil pressure is pretty low when I run it for awhile so the motor is getting close to the end.

My questions for right now are:
1. What would be the advantages of using the matching 4l60e over just leaving the 200-4r in place? I have the CK performance lockup kit and it works fairly decently and it's been a good transmission other than a bad leaky front seal currently. Allegedly, the transmission had been built up by a performance shop when I bought it but I have no confirmation at the moment.

2. 5.3 or 6.0? Will the extra power of a 6.0 help get better mileage while towing or is the 5.3 the king of mpg no matter what?

Thank you all for reading this I'm 100% sure I'll be posting more questions as this progresses

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 8:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Re: Going lsx in a 72 El Camino

I'm not far from you and I have a 409 for sale out of a 58 Impala.

Seriously though. I have a 99 Silverado LQ4 6.0 iron block, iron heads and 4L80 with about 175,000 miles for sale. It's still in the truck and you can hear it run.

I need a 350 core to replace my Impala 409 so maybe we can work something out to achieve both our goals.
fasst450 likes this.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 8:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Dream66, I need to update my profile, I live in Buffalo NY now. Man that would have worked well for both of us!

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 8:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

You might wait on making a tranny decision until you find the engine you want; it may have a tranny already mated to it. Be wary of a 6Lnn as that will cause you to have to modify the floor/tunnel.

Good luck, Nick

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794705
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 4:42 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy View Post
You might wait on making a tranny decision until you find the engine you want; it may have a tranny already mated to it. Be wary of a 6Lnn as that will cause you to have to modify the floor/tunnel.

Good luck, Nick
A 4L80E might also require some floor pan massage.

There's plenty written about LS engine swaps into A-body vehicles and I've done one myself. I went with a Gen III LM7 5.3 engine, 4L60E transmission, Holley 302-2 oil pan, Holley one inch forward bias engine mounts and Hooker Blackheart headers. It all has fit perfectly as designed for A-body vehicles.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
BigOiBoy likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 4:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Going to pick up a 5.3 tonight. Ill let you guys know how it turns out, I may have gotten a smoking deal or a smoked motor/ couple decent parts for a 100 bucks

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 5:39 PM
Tech Team
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasst450 View Post
Dream66, I need to update my profile, I live in Buffalo NY now. Man that would have worked well for both of us!

Road Trip!!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 6:03 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Don't forget to grab the drive by wire throttle pedal, the wiring harness and the Powertrain Control Module. All very valuable to this swap.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 8:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

Well, i got a set of 706 heads, truck intake and a 5.3 block. It turns over so thats a good sign. For 100 bucks I did alright

shovelrick likes this.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 18, 9:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Did you get the computer parts or still have to get that stuff? will the 200r4 bolt up to an LS? if so and if your happy with the OD trans you already have save your $$$ instead of buying another trans, just my opinion

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 8:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Wow... thought I got a great deal on my 5.3 @ 300. Between the 5.3 or 6.0, the 6.0 will probably net the same MPG you're already getting. All Chevy auto transmission will bolt right up, so if you want to keep your 200-4R, you might only need to modify the flex plate.

But, I'm surprised at your MPG #s. Before I tore mine apart, I was getting 17-18 highway and that's with the TH350, but 2.73 rear gearing. I would likely have done better had I known some of the issues I've since discovered after tearing it apart (like the HEI being run off the resistance wire, stretched timing chain making making timing adjustments almost pointless, vacuum leaks, etc).

That 5.3 was originally intended for my El Camino, but I've since rethought that and decided to stay with the SBC. I will eventually go with an OD trans and change out the rear gearing for something like 3.42 or 3.73. I'm dumping the carb and got an Edelbrock EFI kit.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 18, 9:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
neil

I ended up selling that 5.3 i bought and picked up a pullout from an 02 Silverado with harness and computer for $500.
I'm still debating on the transmission situation. If I were to keep the 200-4r I would need to get a new t.v. cable bracket which may or may not cause me to have to ditch the cruise control cable.
So far my parts list is:
-Holley 320-2 oil pan
-I.c.t adapter plates with my current motor mounts
-Summit brand ls swap manifolds(pretty sure they are identical to the hooker manifolds minus $100)
-I.c.t. billet sanden 508 high mount ac bracket for truck spacing
-Smaller power steering pulley.
-PSI standalone harness

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 9:25 AM
clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasst450 View Post
I ended up selling that 5.3 i bought and picked up a pullout from an 02 Silverado with harness and computer for $500.
I'm still debating on the transmission situation. If I were to keep the 200-4r I would need to get a new t.v. cable bracket which may or may not cause me to have to ditch the cruise control cable.
So far my parts list is:
-Holley 320-2 oil pan
-I.c.t adapter plates with my current motor mounts
-Summit brand ls swap manifolds(pretty sure they are identical to the hooker manifolds minus $100)
-I.c.t. billet sanden 508 high mount ac bracket for truck spacing
-Smaller power steering pulley.
-PSI standalone harness

Congratulations on the project!!! I love to see people build these cars to drive. You are taking on a big and great project. There will be times you may want to spend more money because, "well, I have gone this far". I am installing a T56 behind a 6.0 and reinforcing the frame to pull a small camper. My view on the LS model automatic transmission is that you may want to use it for the same reasons you want to use an LS engine. I think the 6.0 is a good move. Even if fuel mileage is a wash it is less damaging to the 6.0 to pull through the mountains. The truck intake and accessories drive will fit under your hood and clear your frame and the truck intake will provide excellent torque for pulling.

I can't wait to see your project!
fasst450 likes this.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 18, 7:17 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Paramotors!?!?!?! AIRBORNE man!

my kid ( a budding fabricator) and I would love to see and/or help you to get experience with an LS swap. Over in Hamburg.
71350SS likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in