Prefered Fuel Lines - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 8:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Prefered Fuel Lines

Thinking a little ahead, I will be looking to purchase fuel lines in the near future. This will be for my 03 6.0L truck which will be swapped in my 64. If I'm not mistaken it will need 3/8 pressure with a 5/16 return? Looking at recommendations for type, steel, nicop, braided? I know at some point the hard lines will have to convert to soft, would it be easier to use soft for complete run? This swap will stay mostly stock, also looking into Tanks Inc. My build is currently with the frame on jack stands and powder coated and most of the suspension is installed, motor is not installed. I welcome all comments.

64 Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

85 Monte Carlo SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 9:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: Prefered Fuel Lines

I would use some type of hard lines along the frame, I used a pre bent Right Stuff steel (wasn't SS) 3/8th" for my BB

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 10:50 AM
Tech Team
Aaron

Garage

I have a set of the stainless hard lines for fuel injection that I ended up using. Id sell them to you cheap.

Donuts on your lawn.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 1:22 PM
Tech Team
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes64 View Post
Thinking a little ahead, I will be looking to purchase fuel lines in the near future. This will be for my 03 6.0L truck which will be swapped in my 64. If I'm not mistaken it will need 3/8 pressure with a 5/16 return? Looking at recommendations for type, steel, nicop, braided? I know at some point the hard lines will have to convert to soft, would it be easier to use soft for complete run? This swap will stay mostly stock, also looking into Tanks Inc. My build is currently with the frame on jack stands and powder coated and most of the suspension is installed, motor is not installed. I welcome all comments.
I'm running a Tanks, Inc. setup with steel 3/8" inlet and return the entire way other than a foot or so on each end to connect to the tank and fuel rail. I used reproduction prebent lines and cut them in the rear; I rebent the front to run up the firewall instead of through the frame so I wouldn't have to flip my fuel rail.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 9:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I ran 3/8 Nicopp with premade teflon soft lines at each end. Can't say as to if it works well or not yet...but hopefully I can answer that in the coming months.

Build thread-

Album -
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 10:52 AM
Tech Team
autumngold

aeromotive 8 an

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 10:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Stu

Stock style nylon line. Flawless and easy. A few bucks worth of fitting and line that is dirt cheap.

L92 / 200-4r -> T56 71
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 9:49 AM
Team Member
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
Stock style nylon line. Flawless and easy. A few bucks worth of fitting and line that is dirt cheap.
X2

$12
Nylon Fuel Line 3/8 Inch x 10 Ft
Part No 800-075

LS Swap

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOiBoy View Post
X2

$12
Nylon Fuel Line 3/8 Inch x 10 Ft
Part No 800-075
X3
I used 3/8" nylon for everything, even the 5/16 connections. You can get 5/16 fitting with barbs for 3/8 line. BUT putting 3/8 nylon onto 3/8 AN barbs is MUCH harder than onto the plastic quick disconnect fittings or other stuff. I may remove the one I did and use something else on that one fitting.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 1:17 PM
Team Member
Les

Garage

Michael,

Tanks Inc makes a filter/regulator similar to the Corvette unit, at less than 1/2 the cost. The unit mounts near the fuel tank and eliminates the need to run a return line from the engine.

LS Fuel Filter Regulator

Les

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 3:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarkul View Post
Michael,

Tanks Inc makes a filter/regulator similar to the Corvette unit, at less than 1/2 the cost. The unit mounts near the fuel tank and eliminates the need to run a return line from the engine.

LS Fuel Filter Regulator
I got mine from RockAuto, looks identical to that, even the ground wire. And that fitting they show male-male disconnect to AN-6 is what leaked for me. I replaced it with a 3/8 male quick disconnect to 3/8 nylon barb connection.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 3:21 PM
Tech Team
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarkul View Post
Michael,

LS Fuel Filter Regulator
This would require changing the fuel rail. Not worth it in my opinion.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 3:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkMC View Post
This would require changing the fuel rail. Not worth it in my opinion.
Maybe not, should work with just plug/capping the return fitting from the rail.
Also, like I mentioned earlier, even if something is 5/16, you may be able to buy all the same 3/8 line (whatever you choose) and use 5/16 fittings on the ends that connect to the return lines. May save you in the long run, and help when/if you goof.
An example https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-164...origin=keyword
And installing those connectors on tubing is not easy, but not hard either. And NO HEAT IS NEEDED. I watched a ton of videos, and almost all use heat gun/boiling water, and that way softens the nylon tube, I don't trust it. The Dorman tool presses the fitting in cool, like a caulking gun. I made a split block to hold the tubing in my vise, put a socket with extension over the end of the fitting to spread the load. Then I used spray silicone (REALLY HELPS) and worked the end of the tubing a bit with a rod to open it a smidge, then just pounded the fitting right in, easy peasy.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 3:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Also, when using those fittings, put the colored clip on the steel line, then push the fitting over the line and clip, same as it comes apart. (Color matches the steel line size, green=5/16, blueish 3/8)

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 10:13 PM
Team Member
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Maybe not, should work with just plug/capping the return fitting from the rail.
Also, like I mentioned earlier, even if something is 5/16, you may be able to buy all the same 3/8 line (whatever you choose) and use 5/16 fittings on the ends that connect to the return lines. May save you in the long run, and help when/if you goof.
An example https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-164...origin=keyword
And installing those connectors on tubing is not easy, but not hard either. And NO HEAT IS NEEDED. I watched a ton of videos, and almost all use heat gun/boiling water, and that way softens the nylon tube, I don't trust it. The Dorman tool presses the fitting in cool, like a caulking gun. I made a split block to hold the tubing in my vise, put a socket with extension over the end of the fitting to spread the load. Then I used spray silicone (REALLY HELPS) and worked the end of the tubing a bit with a rod to open it a smidge, then just pounded the fitting right in, easy peasy.

Here's how to do it without the $100 tool.

How To: Nylon fuel line without $$expensive$$ tool. | NastyZ28.com
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

LS Swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 487 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.