71 Chevelle Dash light problem solved - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBub

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

71 Chevelle Dash light problem solved

Changed my dash out on my 71 Chevelle and replaced all the bulbs. Got it all together and could not get the 5 small lights at the top to work that screws in the circuit board. Been using a flash light at night to see the gas gauge for the last 12 years.
Could not find the power source until today. On the left side (driver side) at the top of the instrument panel there is a light socket that runs the power and ground. I don't recall seeing this when I pulled the dash. This part of the top instrument panel uses 4 bulbs with sockets with no wires and 1 bulb and socket with 2 wires that runs the power and ground. Therefore all 5 screw into the circuit board strip and work when I pull the headlights on..

thanks for looking.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 05, 3:29 PM

Re: 71 Chevelle Dash light problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcchevelle
This part of the top instrument panel uses 4 bulbs with sockets with no wires and 1 bulb and socket with 2 wires that runs the power and ground. Therefore all 5 screw into the circuit board strip and work when I pull the headlights on..

Is this on a sweep dash or SS cluster?

My sweep is missing lights on right half of the dash. The flash light for the gas gauge trick is getting old.

Do you know who sells these light sockets?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 05, 5:53 PM

I found my source for the dash light sockets and bulb....
NPD
72-82 Use wedge-style bulb, w/.5" base hole.
C-9744-150 $2.25

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 05, 10:24 PM
Tech Team

72chevy, they have them at auto zone for like 3 bucks

Last edited by 72silverchevelle; Jun 4th, 05 at 1:58 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 12, 12:10 PM
Tech Team
Richie

I have a 71 with the ss dash my signal lights are not working nor when the hazard light when switch is on. Outside the car it works. So how do you change the bulb? Did you have to pull the whole dash out to reach the bulb holders? PS all the other lights work when I turn on the head lights.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 18, 5:22 PM
CoatofArms

Garage

You can get to most of the lights just by unscrewing the dash cover, they come out with 1/8 turn. I test them in the Temp. light socket that comes on with ignition to accessory power and is easy to reach. For more room you can move the loudspeaker and unbolt 3 dash frame to frame bolts and the steering column bolts which will get another 2 inches to get your hands on the light sockets. There's only 1 ground to chassis from the whole cluster, but the printed circuit board has 4 sheet metal screws into the cluster metal grounding the copper ribbon circuits. If the lights test good and still aren't coming on, check those ground screws. From there a turn signal issue may be in the column at the arm switch, brights from the floor dimmer, ebrake from the ebrake switch etc. The clock in this car didn't work since 72 until I tightened the power connector it kicked right on. I also picked a pod screw and added a ground wire to new a chassis spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash1.30.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	512594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash1.00.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	512602  
LeoP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 775 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.