1970 chevelle 396/350hp - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 15, 6:39 PM Thread Starter
Don

1970 chevelle 396/350hp

hello,
my 70 chevelle 396/350 (all stock) with quadrajet , stock manifold starts fine when cold,
if I say go to the store and try to start after 15-20 min its hard to start.
I have read the other forums on todays gas , boiling carb etc.
I was wondering if a stock gm heat shield pn#3969837 might help the situation.
the carb has just been restored by custom carb and flow benched fine.
other than that the car runs fine driving down the road.
I add leaded octane booster with each fill up .

thank you
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 15, 7:10 PM
Tech Team
Richard

Re: 1970 chevelle 396/350hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by z10pacecar View Post
I was wondering if a stock gm heat shield pn#3969837 might help the situation.
I'm sure it would, but it's outa my league at 175 bucks. Here's what I would do:

I'd study the photo in this link and make my own aluminum shield from a piece of scrap aluminum, maybe 1/16" thickness....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1969-197...-/271848568696
This would be a good project for a jigsaw. Lay out your pattern on the aluminum with a black Sharpie and go for it. If it's not exactly right when you get it cut out, customize it with a pair of tin snips or Dremel cutoff wheel...
http://studio939.zenfolio.com/img/s3...22108670-4.jpg

Then I'd buy a thick gasket from these guys....I like the part number 1710 that's 0.234" thick, close to the bottom of the page.....
http://quadrajetparts.com/quadrajet-...128_25_37.html

Finally, I'd wrap the fuel line with heat wrap anywhere it comes close to any of the exhaust, from the rear of the car to the front....
Here's a 1/2" diameter by 10' length roll for under 20 bucks....Or you may be able to find some other type heat wrap at Lowes or Home Depot or your local hardware store.....

Richard
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 15, 8:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

When you are done with all the work, Look and see if your engine has the correct- 1970- 350-396-454 starter and Short solinoid.
NOTE: 396s-454s do not use a standard Chevy V-8 Starter. The 350 / 396 / 454 starters are HI-Perf. They have different fields and a different aramature. Trivia,,, A 307 Starter will start a COLD-LS-6, But not a hot one.
If the Batt. cables are good, along with a good Batt. & grounds. I may be the starter.
Let us know what the issue is / was .
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 15, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Im with Bob. But we need to know if it cranks hard or cranks forever?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 15, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Don

thank you everyone for your replies,
the car cranks forever
I have checked the choke operation with the air cleaner off. It's fine.
I checked the starter on the lift and it's correct.
I will try the heat shield option and see how it goes.
next week is endless summer cruise weekend in Ocean City Md an I want to take the car. I know it will make the 400 mile round trip journey I just didn't want to crank it a million times in between.
I guess that's why I love these old cars,
they really teach you patience and finesse, a trait that seems to be lacking these days.

thanks
Don
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 15, 10:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

You said it cranks when hot. My question is.... When it is hot, Does it crank the engine like the plugs are out. If it spins the engine at the same " SPEED " when cranking-- HOT or COLD.
You do not have a starter issue. It has to be Fuel or Electric.---
Bob
Also, Make sure when the engine is cranking, The Solinoid is " BACK FEEDING " the (DIST.) Points (if equipped) with a FULL 12 Volts. Check ALL IGN. " Wires & Connections " In the start or cranking "KEY " position, The resistance wire is " By Passed ". When the engine is operating, The DIST. operates on LESS than 12 Vts. The resistance wire DROPPPPPS the voltage,, Direct (resistance wire) voltage to dist. when the engine is operating, I guess its around 7-10 Vts. Throw this in, A Q-Jet that may have issues?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1604 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.