Gas pedal throttle accelerator linkage assembly - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 15, 6:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Blake

Gas pedal throttle accelerator linkage assembly

I broke this while lowering my engine, the thing got caught onto the engine and broke off.

Does anyone know where I can find this? I looked everywhere and I'm only finding things made before and after this.

The pivot itself is fine, its just the cast iron rod that needs to be replaced. I could try welding the little piece back on, however it wouldn't fun to have it come loose again.

I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-Nova-...d88aba&vxp=mtr
It's for a Camaro. The only problem is that the throttle bar pivot support thing will not fit on my firewall... and the throttle bar is longer than the one I have right at the pedal part. To make this work I would have to use my old bar pivot support and cut pedal part of the bar shorter, and then join my old one. The part that goes through the firewall measures 4 inches, like mine. All that work and I could just make my own, but then I have to worry about specific angles, and bends. I just don't see why I can't find anything for my year. It makes no sense.

It's for a 1966 Chevelle that used to have an inline 6, but has a v8 now.

Thanks

Last edited by blackbird307; Sep 7th, 15 at 7:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 15, 8:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
sam

Garage
Re: Gas pedal throttle accelerator linkage assembly

When I broke mine on my 67, I went cable, and ordered lokar pedal and cable. Pedal bolts to same holes as original linkage.

1967 Royal Plum, 434BB, AFR Heads, 3.90 gears, New Chris Straub Hyd Roller!, 200r4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 15, 8:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Blake

I was looking at the gas pedal assemblies etc after 66, and it seems they have gotten longer.

I may be able to fix it by getting some rod, cutting it just over 4 inches length and then cut the broken part off and weld the new length on. After I grind part of it away to create that half circle shake. I think I may try that first.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 15, 6:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Nobody sells these new but I found one on ebay for 30 bucks. Looks old and rusted but you only need the shaft that slides through. The Lokar version is way more expensive and not original.

Ain't no way you are making that part from scratch to look or perform anything like the original.

Used original version for 30 bucks at the top of the page> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Origina...item43e235ba83

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 1:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Blake

Unfortunately I lost the bid war. But I managed to fix my old throttle rod by cutting off the remainder of the 4 inches up to the stop. I got a 3/8 in rod and welded it onto the throttle lever. I then added a 3/8 inch washer to it and welded that. I shortened it to exactly 4 inches (from washer to end of key) by cutting off the remainder. After I grinded away some metal in order to make the groove for the level itself. I physically tested the welds after grinding away the slack, and proved to be durable. For the original application, it works great!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 3:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird307 View Post
Unfortunately I lost the bid war. But I managed to fix my old throttle rod by cutting off the remainder of the 4 inches up to the stop. I got a 3/8 in rod and welded it onto the throttle lever. I then added a 3/8 inch washer to it and welded that. I shortened it to exactly 4 inches (from washer to end of key) by cutting off the remainder. After I grinded away some metal in order to make the groove for the level itself. I physically tested the welds after grinding away the slack, and proved to be durable. For the original application, it works great!
Good idea there just welding on the rod rather than trying to make the entire part from scratch which would have been a real pain.

Winning the bid would have been easier but I like the idea of fixing the original parts when ever possible. Nice work.

For the rod that goes to the carburetor, I used the original rod, had it chromed then used a die and threaded the end at 1/4" 28-TPI then installed a Heim joint with ball end female threaded from McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rod-ends/=yztmru

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 15, 3:50 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Looks like you did a great job on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1619 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.