Dies when clutch is pressed in - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 5th, 09, 9:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Send a message via Yahoo to SHughes
Dies when clutch is pressed in

I am totally stumped here!!

I have a Jeep with a SBC 327, mild/decent cam, manual trans, and a Holley Commander 950 TBI system. I run a full exhaust with a Catalytic converter as well as an HEI.

It was running just fine for a long time, (I just got this from a friend). Suddenly it started to die when disengaging the clutch to slow down.

- I changed the fuel filter and flushed the fuel lines w/ compressed air(thought it wasn't getting gas).
- Changed the ENTIRE ignition system (it was old and wanted to upgrade, plus I wnated to esure it was in good working order).
- I had the Holley ECU reflashed (my laptop wouldn't connect to it, firmware/software issues).
- I drained the fuel tank and refilled with fresh gas (thought there may have been water in it or just been bad gas).

It first started when I was about 45 minutes from home...it seemed to be OK on the trip back home...over time it got so bad I could only go about five minutes down the road...now I can't even get to the end of the block!!

Only thing that comes to mind right now is the Cat may be plugged or something...can't imagine why though. There seems to be plenty of fuel pressure at the TBI, I don't have a way to check it though.

Anyone have any other ideas...maybe experience with the Commander 950...Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1968 Malibu, Medium Spiral Grey Metallic With White Ice Clear Coat. Fully Kustom Black and Grey Interior. 383cid SBC (cracked block...FML), TH-350, 4.56-10 Bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 5th, 09, 10:19 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino
Re: Dies when clutch is pressed in

Bad ground?
Losing the electrical connection when the clutch is not engaged?

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 09, 9:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Grounds are good...been checked and cleaned twice by two people.

Losing a connection when clutch disengaged makes no sense to me. It's not like there are wiers hangin down around ny cluthc linkage or something. And it fires right back up when you pop the cluthch. But runs like crap after words.

1968 Malibu, Medium Spiral Grey Metallic With White Ice Clear Coat. Fully Kustom Black and Grey Interior. 383cid SBC (cracked block...FML), TH-350, 4.56-10 Bolt.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 09, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

I've got it narrowed down to the TBI tuning.

A coupl sensors have been replaced, may still need to change the O2 sensor.

Anyone in SOMD have experience tuning a Holley TBI system that can help me out?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 09, 12:45 PM
Team Member
gus

a good way to check the cat is to remove the o2 sensor in front of it, then drive it.

70 ss 396 4 spd.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 09, 4:14 PM
Tech Team
vin

you can check the convertor by using a vacumn gauge you should have about 30 inches at a good port in manifold
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 5:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

It is a tuning issue. i have it somewhat fixed.

when slowing down and suddenly geting off the gas, the RPM drops about 300 under idle speed, then catches back up. that was the problem, RPM drops too low and dies. BUt no I have to have the idel up around 1100, it runs fine but still needs work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3899 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.