How to seal an intake? - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 04, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
I have taken off my aluminum intake to try and fix a leak near the distributor. I have had people tell me to use the cork gaskets and some tell me not too. What is your guys opinion on the best way to reinstall an aluminum intake onto aluminum heads to keep it from leaking. (especially near the distributor)

Perry
1966 Malibu
355, 4 speed with 3.73 gear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best 1/4 mile e.t. 13.74
Best 1/4 mile MPH 100.68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 04, 9:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

First, GET EVERTHING CLEAN AND DRY. Use brake cleaner to completely degrease the top end. Then use "printo seal" gaskets. Throw away the end seals. Use Hi Tack around the water ports and lay the sides (there is a "correct side up" marker on them. Lay a bead of Black Silicone (I use 598B black) 1/4" or so across both ends and extend it up onto the side gaskets at the corners. Let the silicone sit for about 15 minutes, then drop the manifold straight down onto the engine then install all bolts using a sealer on the threads. You should also use SAE washers on all the bolts to get a proper torque. Torque starting at the center and circle your way out to the ends. Let it sit for 18 to 24 hours before you add water or try to start. After starting and warming engine, recheck torque on all bolts. You will have NO leaks, well at least on the intake. Don't forget to install the new Distributor gasket.

Dave Bradley
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 1:26 AM
Team Member

I have always had good luck with Fel-Pro's rubber end seals, with an added dab of silicone at the ends. But doing it like Dave described will result in a custom made silicone seal that fits your engine and intake perfectly, and pretty much never leaks. Only reason I don't do it like that is that I'm such a worry-wart, and would rather risk a small oil leak, rather than a big blob of silicone falling down in my engine if I screw up when mounting the intake. I know that chances of that happening are slim to none if you just let it dry, but still... [img]smile.gif[/img]

1969 Malibu in progress

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 05, 6:03 PM
Gold Member
Rob

Looking at my the ends of my ZZ4 intake it looks like GM has laid a bead of silcone down.

598 Ultra Black by Loctite "guaranteed not to leak". It is a true OEM hi-temp silcone, meets GM Spec. Much better than the gold/copper silcone

I use this on my coppergaskets for my headers. They have never leaked.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 05, 8:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gerry

Garage
Just a bead of black silicone has always woked for me.
Gerry....

1970 Black Cherry SS396
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 05, 10:37 AM

when I put my afr heads on I had a problem sealing the back of the intake. I always have just used rtv on the ends but this one had a pretty big gap and on the third attempt to seal it I ended up using a bead of rtv, then the cork end gasket, then another bead of rtv on top and that finaly sealed it. Also I found out from afr
that they make spacers for the ends if you have a large gap on the ends.
which was going to be my next step but I didn't need them after I did the rtv,cork,rtv sandwich
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 3:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Richy Rich

Send a message via AIM to Hi-po SS 454
Follow d1_bradley's instructions, except I use a high temp. aluminum color silicone sealer which matches the color of an aluminum manifold, for got the name of it, but it works for me.

Rich
71 SS MJ 468" 570 HP 608 Torque Hyd Roller M22W (autogear) Muncie 4 sp 12B 3.55 posi...
76 TA SOLD
01 HD Deuce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Walk around vid:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 1:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

follow what the others have said, but i have gone 1 step further and turned the intake over, and roughed up the seal area(100 grit) on the ends to give the sealer something to grip on-i have had the oil slip between the sealer and manifold in some rare cases

when your credit cards are maxed, have the limits raised
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 6:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Garage
PST by Loctite is a very good thread sealant. Judging by the number of broken intakes and carb bases that I have seen, it is a good idea to use a torque wrench and do everything to spec. This will pretty well guarantee no broken parts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 2:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up putting the black 598 silicone on the ends up onto the ends of the gaskets too. Seems to be working but will not be able to tell for sure until I can take it out and drive it some. Redoing the front end so will be a few more days. Just let it idle for 5 min. or so so far.

Perry
1966 Malibu
355, 4 speed with 3.73 gear

Best 1/4 mile e.t. 13.74
Best 1/4 mile MPH 100.68
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 7:22 PM
Team Member
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally posted by oregonchevelle:
will not be able to tell for sure until I can take it out and drive it some.
Looks like its gonna rain from now till June, you already missed your chance!

Jeremy

factory 4-sp, rally gauges, hidden headlights

1970 K-20

1962 Pontiac Catalina Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5525 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.