Equus OBD-II Scan Tool ... Worth the Investment?? - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 04, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Wade

Anyone out there have on of these code readers? (see link, lower left hand side of ad)
http://checkerauto.inserts2online.co...rpStoreID=1769
I've been wondering if its worth the $100 investment. I've heard of people that have 'em and start throwing parts at their car, and still end up going to a mechanic, but I've also heard that they're worth it just for the ability to clear trouble codes.

Any input is welcome!!!

Crud ... link expired .... The one I'm considering is the Equus #3100 Code Reader.

-Wade
1969 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe
I earn a seven-figure salary ... Unfortunately, there's a decimal point involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 04, 11:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Your link doesnt work but IMO what I think of as a code reader is pretty unless unless it does live data and updates fairly quickly. Here is a link to a scanner which I think is okay for a DIY guy. CP9145

best regards
Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 04, 8:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Wade

Your link didn't work either Is this the one? http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16151

Here's a link that works ... I think (for the Equus 3100)
http://www.iequus.com/item.asp?cid=10&pid=3100

One of the features listed is "Automatic refresh updates data every 15 seconds when connected to the vehicle", does that qualify as "updates fairly quickly"? I have read some reviews on this code reader, and most of them are good, only really saw one negative review. I do respect the knowledge of individuals on this site, and I do remember someone here having (at least) a similar tool.

-Wade
I earn a seven-figure salary ... Unfortunately, there's a decimal point involved.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 04, 3:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage
I have an Auto-Xray, www.autoxray.com It's not the cheapest thing out there, but it works on OBDI and II, ford, GM Chrysler, and imports. It paid for itself the first time I used it on my Z28. BTW, the one I have is older than the one on the website, and I believe Summit still sells it a lot cheaper than shown on the Autoxray site.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 04, 7:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

I also have an AutoXray. Mine does lots but no storage. If I had it to do over, I'd get the one with storage ability. I've also had good success with mine. Real handy when you "need to know".
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 04, 8:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Wade

That Equius DOES NOT do live data. Pulling codes is fine but if you cannot monitor such things as MAF TPS voltage O2sensor voltage, fuel trim, EGR positon, etc it is not worth the money IMO. You might as well let autozone pull a code The link I posted IS a working link to amazon.com which has theCP9145 scanner(not the 9135) for 209.99. I dont think you'll find one with its capablities for much cheaper. 9135 is the actron scanner you linked to. There are quite a few scanners out such as autoxray which makes some good scanners too. The important thing is one that lets you look at whats happening. Its your money.. I see it as an expensive code reader not a scanner.
Jack

best regards
Jack

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 04, 8:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Wade

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll save my $$.

-Wade
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 04, 9:53 PM

I use an auto x-ray handheld and for the vw/audi stuff I use "vagcom" software on a pc
but I just wanted to say that if you have a laptop or palm pilot there are also several good onbd2 programs you can use
http://www.auterraweb.com/
http://www.autotap.com/
http://www.nology.com/pdadyno.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5576 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.