Timing Problem???? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 02, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

So as I had done probably 30 times before I started from scratch and set the timing TDC pointed the rotor at the #1 spark plug just as always same everything. Then tried to start it... Nothing as usual. Moved the rotor one slot to the right of TDC just in case... Nothing. Moved it one slot to the left of TDC just in case... Nothing. I left it there and came back a little latter and just rotated the distributor as I had an uncountable number of times and tried it start it again. It sputtered like it was about to start which gave me hope. So I just laid on the gas and cranked it over and it kept sputtering and sputtering then bam... It started (Ran like crap but started) So of course I set it back to TDC and tried it start it again. Nothing. Then back to one slot left of TDC and it started again. So with the timing set perfectly and the car at TDC it doesn't start but when I set the rotor pointing at the #2 spark plug when it should be at the #1 it starts. Once again it runs like crap and at about 2000 RPM it starts to miss in every cylinder. So anyways my dad's best guess was that maybe the timing chain jumped a tooth. I've started a new posting in the Engine section about this timing chain problem just trying to find out more about what the symtoms would be. It seems that might be it. Please let me know all you can about it. Hey but it started right? And that's a major start. It's still a mystery as to why it decided to this time rather than the previous 30. Could it be that maybe some water got in the carborator? Oh well thanks for all the help here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6609 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.