Lean at WOT - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 2:05 PM Thread Starter

Lean at WOT

Ok, new to the site. But have found a ton of good information over the years here. My problem is this; car starts and ideals fine and even light cruise at a low high 13-14 afr. Tip into say going from 35 to 45 it jumps lean, like 15.5-16.2. The harder you roll into the throttle the higher and faster it goes lean. Stab the throttle and it goes way lean pegs the gauge and stays there, let out it comes right back down.

Electric fuel pump
Msd 6 plus
Distributor locked out at 36 degree have messed with it +&- 4 degrees
Head are reworked 781 castings bigger valves ported polished and milled a bit
10:1 compression
Mild hydraulic flat tapper cam
Carb Q series 950hp dp
Curently 82/90 jets worked up from 72/80 in 2 number increments
Power valve is currently a 5.0 had a 4.5 in it.
30cc diaphragms front rear pink cams with 33/35 nozzle.
11-12 vacuum at idle. I know my pv needs a little more tuning.

Jets sized seem to be getting rather big (4 over what it came from quick fuel with)

Any suggestions? Other than read the plugs, I’m not great at it hence the afr.
Keep jumping jets???
Has not blow black smoke at all yet. Would like to not get that far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 2:24 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage
Re: Lean at WOT

Start by switching your power valve to a 6.5 or even a 7.5. What you are seeing is the lean transition between the primaries and secondaries.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 2:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

"Distributor locked out at 36 degree have messed with it +&- 4 degrees" Oh, yet another Top Fuel/Funny Car engine for the street. No hope to get the main jets sorted out to correct the WOT leanness. I'd also think the Idle Transfer Slots are also too far open, too, idle right up on the moon.
Johnny Bravo likes this.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 2:37 PM Thread Starter

Idle transfer slots .025 when I bolted the carb on and on had to give it less than an1/8 of a turn to idle at 950 rpm. If you think it’s a top fuel motor on the streets it is not and if you know so much about it enlighten me please. Thank you for the suggestion on the 6.5 pv I have one laying around I’ll try. I would think the main circuit take over at some point if it was only the primary-secondary transfer.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 9:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCGbody View Post
Idle transfer slots .025 when I bolted the carb on and on had to give it less than an1/8 of a turn to idle at 950 rpm. If you think itís a top fuel motor on the streets it is not and if you know so much about it enlighten me please. Thank you for the suggestion on the 6.5 pv I have one laying around Iíll try. I would think the main circuit take over at some point if it was only the primary-secondary transfer.

QCGbody== I suggest you search under the name of Dave Ray and prepare to be astounded, don't say I didn't warn you!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 12:54 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Oh boy....

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 8:38 AM Thread Starter

LeoP, thanks for the warning. Not sure what info/help I was suppose to pick up on from his comment.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 3:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Why should I really care? I have fixed one heck of a lot more of these "locked out for the street" setups, it isn't funny. And, the next mess, "The DYNO tuning says to...(fill in the blank). But, you know more than anybody, that is why you are here telling us all about how great your Top Fuel/Funny Car set up engine for the street runs, aren't you.

Now, what compression ratio, what cam OVERALL duration (NOT .050), and what intake valve CLOSING degree, intake manifold, carb, SPARK PLUG GAPS, please?

BTW, I am an engine design engineer, worked for Holley in Pro-Stock carbs, Duntov in Chevy Skunk Works, and helped develop the large coil in cap HEI, still do that work for a major factory on their MotoGP World Championship bike engines, and used to race my very own AA/Fuel Altered drag car, big block Chevy, against all those Hemi's. Let me know when you wish to fire YOUR cannon at my position...again, sir, I'll be ready, you won't.

NOTE, since you seem to think it is lean on the top end, I will think you have already checked fuel pump delivery, pressure, and volume, fuel line(s), tank and tank venting (tank cap, or positive tank venting), and float levels, other factors in the fuel system. You have, haven't you?
mr 4 speed and jrkrace like this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 5:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage

Carbs are the devil's playthings! They are evil! ;-)

'66 Chevelle w/ custom 6.2L Gen IV LS, E-Force, E67 ECU; LT headers, T56 Magnum; DSE suspension; Baer brakes
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 6:05 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
Why should I really care? I have fixed one heck of a lot more of these "locked out for the street" setups, it isn't funny. And, the next mess, "The DYNO tuning says to...(fill in the blank). But, you know more than anybody, that is why you are here telling us all about how great your Top Fuel/Funny Car set up engine for the street runs, aren't you.

Now, what compression ratio, what cam OVERALL duration (NOT .050), and what intake valve CLOSING degree, intake manifold, carb, SPARK PLUG GAPS, please?

BTW, I am an engine design engineer, worked for Holley in Pro-Stock carbs, Duntov in Chevy Skunk Works, and helped develop the large coil in cap HEI, still do that work for a major factory on their MotoGP World Championship bike engines, and used to race my very own AA/Fuel Altered drag car, big block Chevy, against all those Hemi's. Let me know when you wish to fire YOUR cannon at my position...again, sir, I'll be ready, you won't.

NOTE, since you seem to think it is lean on the top end, I will think you have already checked fuel pump delivery, pressure, and volume, fuel line(s), tank and tank venting (tank cap, or positive tank venting), and float levels, other factors in the fuel system. You have, haven't you?
There is no need to quote you on this but I just want to say thank you for being a part of this forum. You are valued and respected person here. You saw those folks take up for you. I myself may have given you some bs in the past and i'm sorry if I did. But I hope you can continue giving good advise here even if the folks that won't take it please remember I still do.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Look Dave, you don’t have to care at all. Never asked you to, simply asked if the jet sizes were out of the question or I should look somewhere else. Also not sure what you have against my setup, iv gathered you don’t like a locked out distributor. Congrats on the coil in cap distributor and the extensive resume. I also never claimed to know it all, clearly I’m here asking for help and advice. My dad died in the middle of this build and just recently decided to take a stab at it alone now. I have a part number for the cam and the closest thing to cam card I can find. 10:1 compression same as stated in original post. .035 plug gap. Floats are 1/3 up the sight glass 6.5 psi fuel pressure, vented cell. -8 fuel line cell to carb. I’m sure I missed something you asked or commented about in your post. If you don’t care, don’t reply. That being said thanks to the folks who have offered help and info. Honestly I felt pretty good about joining this site and looking for some guidance so far all you have implied is that I’m wrong wrong wrong. So thank you Dave, you have helped so much! I can’t thank you enough!
77sonic likes this.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 4:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Please, remind me when another topic like this one comes up, so I can go fix someone else's setup to work correctly.

You just aren't worth attempting to help, you never needed help with it in the first place, did you.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 6:05 PM Thread Starter

Clearly I do not have it figured out. That’s why I asked for help/recommendations in the fist place. I have only listed what I have done and what I know for sure. If something I have shared is so out of wake and off the spectrum let me know, if not and it’s close and on the right track let me know. Just looking for some guidance here is all. Yet another post from you with no suggestion or real information. I did not seek you out specifically. After 50plus year in the industry maybe tech team is where you don’t wanna be anymore. I never asked for dyno numbers or a full blown tune to throw in my car.

Sorry if I have wasted your precious time with a post and a question that you chose comment on but offer little to no valuable content. Thanks for all your help, hope your small body hei distributor catches on one of these days, might even slap one in my car. Have a good day Dave
Johnny Bravo likes this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 9:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Not saying you won't get the help you need here but some over here can help.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/raci...d93a2bfc129958

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Thank you 77 cruiser I will check out the link you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in