Replace Edelbrock 1406 1557 or re-build? How do I get idle down? - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Replace Edelbrock 1406 1557 or re-build? How do I get idle down?

Not sure when this carb was built and depending on build date, if I should replace or re-build. Canít get the engine to idle at less than 1100 and not stumble or stop at stop sign with foot on brake and transmission in Drive (Or Reverse). Other than that engine rums fine. What does the 1557 mean? I found a source that said in 2008 they stared using a year code and then a Julian date. Maybe before that did they use Julian date/year. So 1557 would mean the 155th day of 1997or 155 th day of 2007? Or day/month/year meaning may 15th 1997 or 2007.

Iíve checked for vacuum leaks and found none. Also adjusted air mixture screws. Itís on a performer intake, then adapter, then insulator, then carb. I also played with timing, now set at 14 adv with VC adding 20, HEI distributor, no idea of cam, Chevy 350, 305 heads, no idea if valves enlarged, roller rockers and engine compression from 160-170..Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 2:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Replace Edelbrock 1406 1557 or re-build? How do I get idle down?

I'd rebuild it. No reason it shouldn't run fine. Pull it apart, clean it, and put it back together to stock specs... And then tune from there if needed. Much cheaper than replacing it.

It you never rebuilt a carb, its pretty easy work...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 8:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Disconnect the vacuum advance and make all adjustments with it disconnected.. I never use the vacuum advance. I set my initial somewhere between 18 to 22 with 10 to 14 mechanical coming in slowly all in by 2800..

Sounds like the timing needs advanced...

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 9:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
Disconnect the vacuum advance and make all adjustments with it disconnected.. I never use the vacuum advance. I set my initial somewhere between 18 to 22 with 10 to 14 mechanical coming in slowly all in by 2800..

Sounds like the timing needs advanced...

Set base timing with VC plugged. I Not sure if I had the VC plugged when setting the air mixture screws. At idle I have Base 14 plus about 20 VC advance, that 34 when sitting at the stop sign as I don't think the distributor has added anything at 1100 rpm.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 5:57 PM
Senior Tech Team

So, if I read it right, you now have

14 deg/INITIAL
20 deg/VACUUM ADVANCE on full manifold vacuum, for
34 deg/IDLE

That is way too many degrees of IDLE timing NOT KNOWING the rest of the engine, a basic start point would be 14 initial, add 10 vacuum advance degrees, full manifold vacuum, for 24 IDLE degrees timing.

Then, 14 INITIAL, and 20 to 22 mechanical advance degrees for a total INITIAL and MECHANICAL would be 34 to 36 degrees.

How many degrees if mechanical advance timing?

Not knowing the engine, nor cam in use, nor carb, hard to help more than that. Post some info.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 7:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Dave is correct. But, it wouldn't be a bad time to buy a 650 Holley with Vacuum secondaries.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 8:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks guys. I just got the car about 2 weeks ago, No information from previous owner on when the engine was built, which I think was about 1997 or what is in it.

Eledbrock carb 1406 dated 1557 which I think was 155th day of 1997

Edelbrock Preformer Intake (can't find a part # or a date) Then an adapter, then a heat insulator.

Heads are 14033601 dated E253 I think from May 25th of 1983 Not sure on valve size

Block is a 350 Casting number 3970010 a 2 or 4 bolt truck block V0510TKB I think 1983 or 1986. No idea if it has been bored; but doesn't appear to have been decked.

Transmission is a TH 350

I think this was all put together in 1997 and only about 4K miles the last 19 years.

The distributor is a deco remedy high ignition. No ideal of the cam.

When I have the base set at 14 degrees and then I plug in the VC the advance jumps up to 28 ( I haven't looked at the VC part number, so don't know anything about what it is suppose to do) Not sure what the mechanical add on is or when it comes in. How would I determine that along with what the VC is suppose to do? Car does not ping when going to WOT up a hill.

Car runs fine if I have idle set to 1100 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	607598  

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 8:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

For a stock-type 350 with a spreadbore intake you can't do better than a Street Demon 625 IMHO

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-1901/overview/

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 9:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Distributor is a HEI Delco Remey, don't see anything else except a 8H casted inside housing.

VC is stamped 324 20 Looks like this

Found this article on nastyZ28, it seems like I have a similar issue. I need to read a few times to understand

Limiting HEI vacuum advance... the easy way | NastyZ28.com

Last edited by Jim_66SS; Nov 11th, 19 at 9:25 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 12:12 AM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

I don't know about the carb, but did you try the basic tune up? plugs, wires, cap and rotor? Fix the basic stuff first, then dial in the timing and go from there.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 8:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

New wires, two set of plugs. Did not replace cap or rotor. Wondering if there is a good way to check when mechanical comes in and what the total mechanical is? Do I just run the accelerator from under the hood while checking the timing while the VC is plugged?

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 2:17 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

Why chase timing specs when the problem can be carb related only? Does the choke fully open? Does the fast idle cam hang up? Not saying the timing is not the problem, but you need to address the simple things such as sticky choke or linkage before chasing down another path.Just my 2 cents worth.
potent rodent likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 3:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

No choke problems or fast idle issues. No distributor issues unless mechanical advance. Itís the idle circuit (I think). Vacuum leak I havenít found as of this time or VC.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

You may have bent linkage allowing the secondaries to stay open a tick.
Check all linkages.
Someone may have drilled holes in throttle plates or the plates could be crooked not allowing you to turn the idle down.

I assume you have tried to turn the idle screw all the way out and have the throttle cable unhooked.
As that cable may not have enough slack in it.

EDIT I re read your post. seems you have an issue with stumbling is you go less than 1100 rpm.

Floats need to be set right.. too high and you can get dribbling fuel from the boosters at idle and this will create the issues you have.
Needle and seat not shutting off can do the same.

The 2 air mix screws are usually adjusted to 2.5 turns out for a base setting .. you turn them out more and you get a little richer and this helps in winter time when No choke is used.

I have seen some people turn them out 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn from all the way in. that is not even close to enough.
I do not know where yours are set.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I set the air mixture screws following the edelbrock video and instruction. Screws are currently 1 turn out.

Car idle at 750 rpm when sitting in the driveway. The problem happens when I put into gear and try to go forward or backward, then the car quits. If I set the idle to 1100 rpm then the car does not quite.

I will check the linkage on the secondaries.

I Have not done anything with the floats.

I will have to check the throttle cable thin, as my only experience has been with Holleys. I can turn the throttle screw out to get it to idle down from 1100 to 750 haven't gone any lower.

I will check the linkage on the secondaries and for drilled holes in the throttle plates.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in