Window Chrome - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Al

Window Chrome

65 SS here with a problem with the clips that hold the chrome around the rear window in place.
I had the car painted a couple of years ago and removed the front and rear glass. I never liked the fit and finish of the chrome that is around the windows. I gears up and had new glass installed - LOF date coded from City Glass and while the chrome was off I sent it out and had it polished. The reinstall went well until the driver side rear lower. The chrome is engaged in the clip but rides too high leaving a gap. I can push down on the chrome and it fits nicely but will not stay in place as it pops up maybe 3/16" leaving the gap. If the glass was out I would remove the clip and get one with a lower profile but removing the glass in not something I want to do at this time. So I'm considering some kind of adhesive to be squirted under the chrome and place a weight on it and let it dry. Any thoughts on what to use? I realize that future removal of the chrome will be difficult with the dried adhesive in place but I'm looking for options.
Thanks... Al

PS: Tried to post some pictures but I'm unable. I've never been able to post pictures on this site...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 11:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Window Chrome

Good Plan, Use a urethane glue dab just big enough to hold the molding dow, problem solved.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Al

I used some RTV sealer, spread it between the trim and glass, kind of worked it in with a putty knife until I was sure I had enough to make good contact. I put some weight on the trim to hold it down while it dried, let it set up and it seems to be holding nicely. Cleaning up afterwards was the worst part. I covered the glass and chrome trim with tape so it was protected, I used a sharp knife and MEK to clean the seems... Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Window Trim 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	605024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Window Trim.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	605026  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 9:25 AM
Tech Team
Stan

Either windshield urethane or RTV works well, sometimes this is the only option to dial in trim for a perfect fit. Removal of that trim piece down the road will be easier if you go with the RTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in