Mystery Oil Leak - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lew540
  • 1 Post By Don B
  • 1 Post By hjdca

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 7:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lew

Garage
Mystery Oil Leak

I have an motor oil leak that is in the frame by the passenger side door. Basically accumulates by the trans mount bolt hole in frame. The headers are clean the bottom of oil pan seems OK. I have one of those flexible oil dipstick tubes with the o ring seal on top but it feels kind of loose. It is almost like the car is running and it leaks at higher rpm car is moving and the oil is carried by the airflow to the hole in the frame by passenger side footwell or something like that. There are no oil lines anywhere on the car. The dipstick appears to be in pan though if that were leaking it would probably hit the starter which is dry. Anyone run into this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Re: Mystery Oil Leak

put some dye in the oil and a blacklight and check after driving around a bit and good luck. I think there is a kit to do it!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 7:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

I have that green die in there now. The oil is basically leaping to getting over to the frame as below/side the motor are the headers which are spotless and have no signs of burning oil. I am thinking the top of dipstick as the o ring seal seams loose - this is one of the fancy steel braided ones with the nice aluminum top. I did notice a glob of oil on dipstick handle just above the o ring so I am going to watch this.
boyd66k20 likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 7:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Clean the area very good,use brakleen or simular so there is no oil or film. Get some foot powder spray and spray the area you suspect,you should be able to pinpoint the leak using this method. Used this method many times over the years while working @ the G.M. dealership.
boyd66k20 likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 12:20 PM
Tech Team
Harry

check for an oil leak from the back intake manifold where it connects to the head in the corner of the china wall on the passengers side.. I had a leak there that took me a while to figure out. I ended up resealing the intake manifold and pushing "the right stuff" with my thumb into all four corners of the china wall, then, putting a "right stuff" bead on top of the china wall to get a good seal. This worked for me.
boyd66k20 likes this.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in