What did I screw up??? - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 6:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

What did I screw up???

Need some help guys. This is on my '69 Malibu with a 4 speed Muncie.
A few weeks ago I was mounting the tach on the steering column. I used a band clamp, (as was posted here). Evidently, that can't happen on a '69 as the column sections shift.
Having the tach mounted, it looked cool and I left it. A week or so later I tried to back the car out of the garage and I couldn't get it in reverse. Thought it was the linkage locking up. Long story short, I jammed it into reverse.
Found out later it was the tach hitting the dash that wouldn't let it go into reverse. Did move the tach.
But now back up lights don't work while car is in reverse. They are on steady all the time in other gears. When putting it in reverse lights go out.
If I grab the section of the column I can turn it by hand and turn the lights on and off. While it's turned to the left, I can't get the shifter into reverse. Turn it to the right and the shifter will go into reverse. If the shifter is in reverse, turning the column by hand will move the shifter to neutral.
Maybe some of this is normal but I never noticed it before.
Checked the electrical backup switch by firewall and seems to be ok. Checked linkage reverse rod under car seems to be ok.
Do I have to take the column apart? Hope not. I know this is long and maybe confusing.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Yes, I know I'm a flaming idiot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 6:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: What did I screw up???

Down under your MC there should be a lever coming out of the bottom of the steering column. From that lever there was a rod that ran down to the transmission that normally had to be removed if you put headers on the car. As long as you keep that lever all the way up the car will start and the steering column will lock. In that position you should mount your tach for location. The only thing your back-up lights won't work now. You need to run a switch off your linkage that will operate your reverse lights.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

Last edited by HKalin; Apr 21st, 19 at 7:01 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 6:57 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Donít fear, the backdrive rod is adjustable. Iím going to guess that when the tach was hitting the dash it caused an adjustment problem with the backdrive adjustment. Iíd disconnect the backdrive to make sure the shifter works correctly first. If it does, then put it in to reverse. Loosen the bolt on the backdrive adjuster and connect it back to the shifter. Now rotate the steering column all the way to the left and tighten the adjuster.
68-13427 and Saltherring like this.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 8:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper '69 View Post
I was mounting the tach on the steering column. I used a band clamp, (as was posted here).
Keep searching because I mounted my Tach to the underside of the "dash." Two screws up into the metal bracing for the upper lip of the plastic dash. Tach don't move no mo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602 (1).JPG
Views:	22
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	592068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0600.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	592070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0599.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	592072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0598.JPG
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	592074  

Name:	IMG_0597.JPG
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	592076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0596.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	592078  
SSJohn likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 11:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

You think you screwed up. Here is what I did in June of 1970 to my ordered SS 454 / M-22 El Camino. Buy a new tach. Drill and tap the column by the key to mount the tach, The tach is now in a fixed position and will not move. ( I am a tool & Die maker, Yep, I am real smart!) I FISHED the tach wires up through the inside of the column.
Tach is mounted & working the job is finished, LETS go for a RIDE !
My Camino is sitting in my Dads garage , Out of gear. SO,,, I start the LS-5 UP,,,, YEA BABY,,,,,,, Slap that sucker in reverse, ( Yes the back drive is still working) WELL,, OH $H!T..... The steering column starts to SMOKE, the engine starts missing, All I can smell is wires burning,,The engine quit running. I go to un/hook the Batt. I will not live long enough to forget that dumb azz thing I did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Thanks guys. Sorry I haven't acknowledged your help til now. First I had to look up backdrive to see what it was. Never heard of it. Been busy and haven't had a chance to look at it, but from what you've described sounds like something that can be fixed.
I'll confirm in the next few days.
Thanks again.
Jim
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 3:40 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Back in the day You always knew if someone had headers on a Chevy because they had to take the back drive linkage off and they would forget about turning the column to turn the lights off. I have done it so many times it is second nature. Sort of like putting seat belts on.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 7:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

I must have dumb luck. Several guys have mentioned about headers and the back drive incompatibility. I've had the body off the frame. Both on a rotisserie at different times, swapped the 307 for a big block with headers, and changed out the Saginaw for a Muncie with a Hurst Plus shifter. I hooked up everything as I disassembled it (when possible). I never adjusted the tranny linkage or back drive. Never had a problem with reverse, lights or ignition until my recent incident???
Jim
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 11:05 PM

Please explain to me how a Saginaw and a Muncie can operate the same back drive linkage. You have me very confused.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

No clue. I just reassembled what I disassembled. It's been several years ago. Would bending the rod have made it work? I might have bent the rod a little bit to make a connection but nothing major and I know I didn't buy anything.
I'm going to look at it tomorrow to see what the back drive looks like.
Jim
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 19, 7:57 AM

Do what Alan said while you're down there. Put it in reverse, loosen the nut on the swivel, rotate the rod on the column up, then tighten the swivel nut. Should be as easy as that. This pic is of an aftermarket Muncie setup. I swapped out the Saginaw for a Richmond super T10.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190426_045008_1556279818468.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	4.79 MB
ID:	592448  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 19, 7:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Don't know how this ever worked or what happened. I did everything as instructed. With the back drive rod adjusted all the way out, the rod coming from the tranny is an inch and 1/4 too short. I'll weld a piece in to reach.
Thanks everybody.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 19, 7:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Bruce, That's how I ended up mounting the tach. Come to find out there were two screw holes already there. Guess it was mounted there at one time.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 19, 10:34 AM

Before you get crazy cutting and welding, what transmission is in the car? Also, attach a picture of the bracket and lever that is mounted to your frame. It sounds like you have the wrong transmission/ back drive combo. I just swapped a Saginaw for a Richmond super t10 and learned that the Muncie and Saginaw systems work opposite of each other.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Here's pics of reverse linkage on tranny and the back drive linkage. I did adjust the length of rod and I can't get to work. Johnny, what year car is that pic you posted from? Looks slightly different than mine.
When I turned column to the left had it in reverse and tightened the adjusting rod, I couldn't get it out of reverse.

Name:	IMG_20190511_155637468_HDR.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	593548

Name:	IMG_20190511_155259098_HDR.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	593550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in