Trunk key doesn't work - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 10:44 PM
Team Member
Mike

Re: Trunk key doesn't work

I had this happen on my Chevelle. Tried all the tricks but no luck. The lock mechanism failed. Drilled out the center and replaced the lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 10:54 AM
Tech Team
lou

Send a message via AIM to roadster601

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I don't know if roadster601 was referring to removing the clip and then pushing the lock out while the trunk is closed but you can't get at the clip unless the trunk is open. I don't know if you can even get your body into the trunk there are no big cutouts to crawl thru.
the clip depending how its mounted in his trunk, a bar screw driver anything long with a hook i made my own can catch it pull it out, i meant when trunk is closed.... and yes there is access maybe not your whole bodymaybe when iwas16 to get thru but something, i think when i was in a dealer what ya gonna do drill only as a last resort. so there ya go

lou
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 5:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster601 View Post
the clip depending how its mounted in his trunk, a bar screw driver anything long with a hook i made my own can catch it pull it out, i meant when trunk is closed.... and yes there is access maybe not your whole bodymaybe when iwas16 to get thru but something, i think when i was in a dealer what ya gonna do drill only as a last resort. so there ya go
I must be missing something or your referring to a different clip. On my 71 the trunk lock cylinder is held in by a retainer and then after the retainer is in all the way a screw goes thru it that bolts the retainer to the trunk lid. To get at that screw and remove the retainer the trunk has to be opened. Also the panel that is behind the rear seat has all different cut outs in it but nothing big enough to be able to crawl into the trunk. This is the retainer that holds the trunk lock cylinder in. https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/LTR-5...elle&year=1972

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

Last edited by HKalin; Apr 14th, 19 at 5:42 PM.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 8:28 AM
Tech Team
lou

Send a message via AIM to roadster601

yes your right, some cars the screw was left out by former owners, but never said to crawl in the trunk. if all fails drill out the cylinder as i did say
HKalin likes this.

lou
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 7:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Just an update on this effort. Got the old lock out with drill and other tools, not easy. Bought new lock and key but putting that in is not easy either. There is a long piece that goes with the new cylinder that goes into the slot of the locking mechanism that doesn't seem to fit and I can't figure out how to get cylinder thru the clip and have it line up properly. The old long piece must have fallen in the gap between the deck lid metal because I can't find it to see how to bend the new piece. Ugh.

I can tell you this, there is NO WAY I could have popped the lock out thru the back seat because the clip that holds it in is inside the gap between the two pieces of metal that make up the lid.

Watched Chris Craft from YouTube who did this and the cylinder and long piece he had was bent pretty severly. Haven't figured out how to bend it the right way. Plus my clip that holds the locking cylinder won't come out for me to work on it. Ugh again.

Anyway, just musing.

1970 Chevelle SS (clone)
454 cid (496 stroker)
Holley 4 bbl 750 cfm
Muncie M21 (Hurst shifter)
Long tube headers
Tuxedo Black - black interior
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I must be missing something or your referring to a different clip. On my 71 the trunk lock cylinder is held in by a retainer and then after the retainer is in all the way a screw goes thru it that bolts the retainer to the trunk lid. To get at that screw and remove the retainer the trunk has to be opened. Also the panel that is behind the rear seat has all different cut outs in it but nothing big enough to be able to crawl into the trunk. This is the retainer that holds the trunk lock cylinder in. https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/LTR-5...elle&year=1972
Yep, that's the retainer alright. I just can't get it out of the hole it goes in and if I try to put the new cylinder in it, nothing fits. Maybe I bent it when I was trying to drill/manhandle the old cylinder to get it out and I just need to get another one. Thanks for the link.

It never seems to work the first time for me.

1970 Chevelle SS (clone)
454 cid (496 stroker)
Holley 4 bbl 750 cfm
Muncie M21 (Hurst shifter)
Long tube headers
Tuxedo Black - black interior
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 7:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I had a hard time getting that clip out too and the new one didn't go back in any easier either. If I remember correctly I had to push the clip forward get something on it real good maybe channel locks and yank it out. Putting it back in I ended up using a small mallet to seat it all the way in. Just watch your paint.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in