Accelerator pedal resistance - 70 SS - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Duane

Accelerator pedal resistance - 70 SS

I have an issue that has lft me scratching my head.
I have a 7040205 Qjet on my 70 SS with original big block.
The throttle seems to operate smoothly when I depress the gas pedal full range while the car is off.
However, when I go to punch it while driving down the road it seems to get a distinct resistance when getting to the point of the secondaries opening. I've checked the cable as best I can and cannot seems to find and areas where it would be binding. Like I said, when the car is shut off the pedal goes from top to floor without and noticeable difference but when the car is driving down the road, the pedal moves freely about 2/3's of the way and seems to bind slightly until you push through it and the car launches as the secondaries open.
What could I be missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 12:02 PM
Tech Team
autumngold

Re: Accelerator pedal resistance - 70 SS

Wierd.Doesnt make sense unless your motor mounts are loose or worn causeing the motor to move when going.
duanec, boyd66k20 and 68-13427 like this.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 5:34 PM

disconnect the cable from the carb , then move the throttle arm on the carb , then start it and see if it requires more effort

im guessing its something in the throttle plate binding while under vacuum
duanec and Todds68 like this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Duane

checked the motor mounts, all looks good. Move on to the next possible cause. I can't start it at the moment but that will be the next test.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Are you sure you have good electrical grounds on your car and that the battery/alternator aren't trying to ground through the accelerator cable?

I have found some horrible grounding situations going on because of ground cables going to brackets that weren't well grounded to the block, heads or intake manifold. The cure was to ground the battery directly to the block or head.
duanec likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 19, 11:45 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

My carb linkage ball mount was rubbing the bottom of the air cleaner base as it swung straight up. I had to put a small dent in it.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 1:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Garage

Found that model Qjet is also called the R4-4MV. More info here including an exploded parts view.

My engine originally had a 4MV model, and I recall the vacuum diaphragm and lockout lever (parts 50-56 on the parts view) prevented the secondary throttle valve from opening when vacuum was high. This mechanism on the passenger side of the carb could be a cause for throttle binding during operation.
duanec and Todds68 like this.

-Frank
1970 Chevelle Malibu, one family owner
355 SBC, XE262H cam, Performer RPM heads, MSD HEI, TH200-4R trans, 3.55:1 Posi, digital gauges
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 1:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanec View Post
checked the motor mounts, all looks good. Move on to the next possible cause. I can't start it at the moment but that will be the next test.
When you can start it...open the hood, put in gear and give it some gas with brake on a bit more at a time and see if the motor mount or week motor mount is lifting on the drivers side.
Had a bad mount in a 69 impala back in the day and had similar issues as you until it finally broke...then while giving it gas going around a corner in would damn near give it full throttle= not good!
duanec likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 19, 11:20 AM
Tech Team
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu70 View Post
Found that model Qjet is also called the R4-4MV. More info here including an exploded parts view.

My engine originally had a 4MV model, and I recall the vacuum diaphragm and lockout lever (parts 50-56 on the parts view) prevented the secondary throttle valve from opening when vacuum was high. This mechanism on the passenger side of the carb could be a cause for throttle binding during operation.
This is where I'd be looking, especially since you feel resistance at the point where the secondaries are activated. I would also take it for a spin without the air cleaner.
duanec likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 9:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I had a wiring harness making my gas pedal hang up once. Check it all out..
duanec likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 8:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Duane

The motor mounts are solid. I should be able to get it out of the paint shop in about a month to try some of the other suggestions. Thanks!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 10:40 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Do you have any type of 4 hole spacer. If so - See if that is not binding somewhere. The one hole spacers not so much a problem as the hole is usually very large.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 3:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
Are you sure you have good electrical grounds on your car and that the battery/alternator aren't trying to ground through the accelerator cable?

I have found some horrible grounding situations going on because of ground cables going to brackets that weren't well grounded to the block, heads or intake manifold. The cure was to ground the battery directly to the block or head.
Wow! I would never in a hundred years expect it to be a ground issue. I will definitely check that out.
Thanks for the feedback!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 3:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I had a wiring harness making my gas pedal hang up once. Check it all out..
Another good suggestion. I'll inspect that. Thank you!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 3:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
Do you have any type of 4 hole spacer. If so - See if that is not binding somewhere. The one hole spacers not so much a problem as the hole is usually very large.
No spacer....except I do have that spongey thick-ish carb to manifold gasket. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in