Back firing through the exhaust-HELP!!! - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By wes-in-nc

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 18, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Wes

Garage
Back firing through the exhaust-HELP!!!

My daily broke down so I had to dig my Nova project out of the garage for a daily for a week or two. I drove it a few days last week to work and it was back firing through the exhaust and just running rough in general. Its a stock bottom end '76 350 with double hump heads, a cam of unknow size and a edelbrock intake with a holley 600dp. Its got a new MSD hei with new plugs and wires. I rebuilt the carb yesterday and replaced all gaskets, pumps and power valve. I took it around the block and it seemed fixed. Well today, I took it on a 25-30 trip to enjoy the car and weather and it ran terrible. Back firing through the exhaust on the slightest load and surging under part throttle. On the way back, I stopped at the local supermarket for some adult beverages and the 4 miles back home, the car ran great!!! What am I missing here???? I know my way around a toolbox but this has me flustered!! Any ideas?? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_160437.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	577040  

1967 Chevelle SS (2020 Drag week hopeful)
1971 Nova SS

Keep on keeping on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 18, 4:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: Back firing through the exhaust-HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes-in-nc View Post
My daily broke down so I had to dig my Nova project out of the garage for a daily for a week or two. I drove it a few days last week to work and it was back firing through the exhaust and just running rough in general. Its a stock bottom end '76 350 with double hump heads, a cam of unknow size and a edelbrock intake with a holley 600dp. Its got a new MSD hei with new plugs and wires. I rebuilt the carb yesterday and replaced all gaskets, pumps and power valve. I took it around the block and it seemed fixed. Well today, I took it on a 25-30 trip to enjoy the car and weather and it ran terrible. Back firing through the exhaust on the slightest load and surging under part throttle. On the way back, I stopped at the local supermarket for some adult beverages and the 4 miles back home, the car ran great!!! What am I missing here???? I know my way around a toolbox but this has me flustered!! Any ideas?? Thanks!
Sticking vacuum advance, cracked vacuum line?

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 3:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Bad tank of gas?

How long was it parked?

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 6:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Backfiring through the exh [ through the intake. different story ] with the slightest load sounds more likely to be electrical.
Check that the HEI is getting 12v or more with the engine running.

Double check initial timing [ with vac adv disconnected ]. If it checks out, do a resistance check on all the leads. Try another set of spark plugs, then another coil/module.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 8:48 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Exhaust leak, maybe? A little fresh air getting into your exhaust can complete combustion a little more to give you a backfire.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 18, 9:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Wes

Garage

Team, Thanks for all the replies!! @Pioneer4x4 , its done this with 2 completely different HEI distributers. @davewho1 , the car sat for 30 plus years but I put in a new tank and its a fresh 10 gallons…..ethanol junk though. I used the AC Delco Green shield hose but I needed gas and couldn't make it to my local "Pure" gas station, lol. @Gtogeoff , that might be something I need to look into. When I switched to HEI, I did not verify that a true 12 volts was coming though the lead that I used. @B52bombardier1 , the exhaust system is a new 2 1/2 system from Summit. It has lots of leaks. The system had terrible fitment issues. I think the kit for a Ford truck got sent to me, lol.

At first, I thought was the Holley carb but now I think its something electrical. I drove the car to work today and not a single issue. The carb is rich but that's a different issue. Thanks again for all the suggestions!!
davewho1 likes this.

1967 Chevelle SS (2020 Drag week hopeful)
1971 Nova SS

Keep on keeping on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 483 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.