Pedal travel - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 18, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Russ

Pedal travel

Hi, all. I fixed my electrical demons a couple weeks back with help from you guys (and a little bit of searching old forums). This place is always a big help.

Anyways my 69 Malibu convertible 350 is acting up again. It's a 2GV carb, and the throttle won't open enough.
When I was poking around fixing electrical bugs a couple weeks ago I noticed the throttle cable was getting old. When I was out driving it earlier this week the gas pedal suddenly didn't want to move. I could maintain about 35 MPH smooth enough, but the pedal just wouldn't push any further. Figuring that old throttle cable might be the culprit, I put a new one on.
I had a '68 Malibu years ago that snapped the cable in the passing lane on I-75. That was hairy. I had to play Frogger with no acceleration, coasting three lanes between speeding cars to the right berm so I could rig it up and make it in to work. Fortunately I worked at a Chevy dealer who had the cable in stock. That memory and the condition of the present cable convinced me to just replace it.
Well, that didn't solve a thing, except that I no longer have to worry about snapping a cable soon.
I was playing around with it tonight, disconnecting and reconnecting stuff. Tried it with and without the cable connected, but when I took the accelerator pump rod off the throttle linkage it opened wide.
Could my accelerator pump be stuck? That rod only pushes up a small bit.

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Pedal travel

Sounds like you troubleshot it right and now the issue is with the carb. Time to dig into that and correct any issue(s) there.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Russ

I wonder whether ethanol got to it. I had just filled up about 10 minutes before it acted up. Could ethanol seize the pump cup? Seems odd, since just about every station around here has some ethanol additives.
Ah, well. Time to yank the air horn.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 3:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizgolf View Post
I wonder whether ethanol got to it. I had just filled up about 10 minutes before it acted up. Could ethanol seize the pump cup? Seems odd, since just about every station around here has some ethanol additives.
Ah, well. Time to yank the air horn.
You could wonder what is going on and who knows, maybe it was just time for it to act up right after getting filled up and it was just a coincidence.

I just bought a rebuild kit for a monojet for my 230 inliner and it is to have parts to work with today's fuel. Time will tell though.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 5:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Russ

I think it was just its time. The accelerator pump blew up. The metal rod came out of the plastic boot part of the pump. Had a spare one laying around, so now it's good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 501 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.