Chirping sound in rear as 68 idles - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 2 Post By 71350SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 18, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Chirping sound in rear as 68 idles

I am considering the purchase of a 68 396....when the car idles there is a chirping noise heard from the rear of the car. The chirp is not heard under the hood, or at the front of the car.
Is it an exhaust issue, or carb ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 18, 12:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Re: Chirping sound in rear as 68 idles

Not the carb then. Exhaust rubbing on something on undercarriage, something loose under car rubbing on something else. Did you push on back of car to see if you can replicate?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 18, 12:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

See if you can hear it coming from the exhaust. I had the baffles in a muffler come loss and it made a chirping noise until it turned into a full on rattle. Sounds like you'll have to go on a chirp hunt. Hold a piece of hose or pvc pipe to your ear and track it down.

Post a video and we'll see if we can recognize the noise.

Maybe yous got a bird nest up in there???
shovelrick likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 18, 1:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

If it is an exhaust rattle you can find it easier with the engine off.Leave the tires on the ground get a piece of carboard so you can slide around under there as you check the exhaust system.The most suspect place is where it passes over the rear axle.The hangers are there to allow a certain amount of movement but not enough touch the other car parts so just grab the exhaust pipes and give them a shake. Shake the pipes up and down and side to side.If the exhaust is the noise you should be able to hear as you shake the exhaust pipes.
Also using the flat of your hand give the muffler a shot upwards if there is a loose baffle you'll be able to hear it that way.
Why don't you consider getting it looked at by someone who is familier with Chevelle's before you spend your hard earned money ?

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 18, 8:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Probably not the same issue but My parents bought a new Impala in "68",327 with a turbo 400 trans,it developed a squeak or chirp only at idle. It turned out to be the shift linkage(column shift),the end of the bell crank that went into the bracket on the frame rail would move slightly in and out as the engine idled causing the squeak,some grease occasionally stopped the noise.Also remember Mom having the $hit scared out of her when the broken motor mount caused the engine to lift and motor to accelerate,wasn't long after,the recall came out and the safety lift cables were installed. Grecian Green Impala custom,manual steering and brakes,Mom had a tough time with the steering as the steering wheel diameters were getting smaller around "68".If you suspect the erxhaust I bet you could put a prybar or a simular item into the tail pipe(s) at idle and put some pressure on it and see if the noise goes away.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 18, 9:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

With the car off look around under the car to see if you can find an area around any clamps, linkage that has shinny spots in the metal where something has been moving back and forth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 636 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.