Can you make an OEM looking fuel line? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 2:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Re: Can you make an OEM looking fuel line?

Jegs...

Front to Rear Fuel Line 1964-1967 Chevy Chevelle, 3/8 | JEGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 6:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Craig

James,
FWIW - I bought my 66 fuel line from Inline Tube and the fit was just like factory. I bought the stainless version because I was concerned about what might change in fuel specs (i.e. Alcohol content, etc.) in the future. The only comment I'd make is to be sure of your application. My car is a factory SS car and the factory fuel line runs up over the frame spring perch at the right rear, and stays outside the body mounts along the frame until it makes a 90 degree bend (see below). The AIM shows a line routing that bends inward around the inside of the frame's upper spring perch, which is clipped to the frame. I'm 100% positive that the outer routing is correct for an SS car, but make sure of what you have before ordering, because return would be a pain. My Inline Tube line had the barbed ends.
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	504082  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 7:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

buy the premade if you have to tweak it some so be it
Dont even bother with stainless it doesnt want to bend at all. Ordered one in stainless long story short spent way too much doing one out of 1/2 in had body fit issues not worth it!

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 8:03 PM
Banned
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by james a larson View Post
Hi Cory, did the OEM lines have the end barbed, I think my line is OEM where there is just spring clamps that holds the rubber hose to the fuel line; but who knows, maybe it was replaced before.
A bubble style barb at each end - yes on my OEM 66 SS
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 17, 2:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
A bubble style barb at each end - yes on my OEM 66 SS
I guess mine may have been replaced or there were different suppliers as I am almost positive it does not have the barbed end at the rear. Not able to get at the car for a few days to make sure.

Mine looks like Craig’s as it goes over the top off the frame above the spring,except there is a wire spring over the line where it could contact the frame in front of the rear wheel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 17, 3:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Craig

James,
FWIW - The picture I posted was not my car. I just posted the picture to show the outside line routing. My original line, and the Inline Tube line both had barbs at both ends and the spring guarding you described. My stainless line fit very well and didn't need to be tweaked to fit, but I do live in SE Michigan, so I picked it up at Inline Tube with no shipping involved. I'm a little anal, so I went with stainless because the newer fuels can be very corrosive and I didn't want to gamble moving forward. I also used a stainless tank and sender for the same reason. Good luck with your project and let me know if you need any other info.
Craig
BTW - a photo of my car with the Inline Tube line is included below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	504466  
LeoP likes this.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 17, 3:56 PM
Banned
Cory

FWIW - I replaced a 66 3/8" fuel line for a friend with Nickel/Copper bulk line while the car was on the frame and the bushing bolts loosened to give us an inch or so extra room. Wasn't easy but was doable. Over the axle was the hardest area.

No springs but used clear plastic hose as a protective cover in the critical rub areas.

Another thing. In the pic from the previous post notice how the fuel line has a protective black rubber sleeve as it enters the frame horn in the front.

In the pics below I show a couple of chaffed areas on a different car due to worn body bushings. On that car I located the springs in those two chaffed areas when installing a new line. Not sure if that is OEM correct but it made sense to me. I also used rubber sleeved tubing clamps with self tapping screws to secure the line to frame in several areas. The original style clamps are probably adequate but I used what I had on hand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aztec Fuel Line - 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	504474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aztec Fuel Line - 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	504482  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 17, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech Team

If you dont mind cutting and putting a union partway makes it much easier
x2 on using anything to keep the lines from rubbing. Noones going to see it anyways.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 17, 2:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

I used inline tube and I thought they were great. One if my lines was too short and I asked them to make me a longer one. They overnighted it to me and then called a few days later just to make sure it fit. I would use them again and the lines look great.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Well I decided on the Right Stuff’s OEM steel line from JEGS, it is suppose to be seamless,barbed ends, correct guards and shape for the 66 SS cars. Free shipping since I ordered some additional things, so cost turned out to be about $61. A friend suggested a clear lacquer finish.

Last edited by Jim_66SS; Dec 22nd, 17 at 1:00 PM.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 17, 1:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Cant beat the price on that one! Most clears yellow over time maybe theres stuff out now that doesnt.
If its new it will look good for a long time

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 793 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.