Cracked head ? Or...... - Chevelle Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By oldcutlass
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By BillK

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Claude

Question Cracked head ? Or......

Blew a head casket while back at about 18K miles on a custom build. In addition to white smoke and water to verify had radiator tested whichshowed at least one blown head gasket . Had Edelbrock Performance Heads milledand 'supposedly' pressure tested. Installed with Proform gaskets and properly torqued @ 170. Edelbrock Intake alsowent in with Proform. Cylinder pressureequal across all 8 cylinders. This is a383 out to 388 with a good size Webber cam. Fed by 850 cfm Holley Dual Pumper. Dynos' at 450 HP.
Six months down the road and I'm throwing a lot of clearwater 1-2oz. out the 2-8 head side (headers and dual exhaust), sporadically,when the engine is cold. Once up to 180degrees the water may , or may not, present as white smoke/steam. Doesn't appear its every gone through combustion. No blow backinto radiator at this time. No water inoil.
Took it out yesterday and, after warming with no waterdripping, I got on it several times over about a 30 mile run out. No water. No smoke. Started it today andafter about 5 minutes I get a LOT morewater than I would normally have attributed to condensation and only on the 2-8side. If the water out the tail pipe was more consistent, like every time the engine is started/run, I'd probably dismiss this as accumulated condensation.
So, I'm thinking I may have a cracked cylinder head near anexhaust valve.
Thoughts or experience with Edelbrock Performance Headscracking or? Actually any thoughtsappreciated. Getting too old to keeppulling these heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Cracked head ? Or......

Is the coolant level dropping? If not, its condensation.
LeoP and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 1:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Do a pressure or leak down test on the cooling system. Check for water in oil...Remove the oil fill and check to see if there is a white gray film on it. If you're not loosing coolant more than likely it's condensation. The cooling weather will cause more to be noticed that on hot dry days. When gas and O2 burn water vapor is released.
427L88 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 1:54 PM
Gold Member
Gene

As Al says.... I found my leak, a headgasket, around the drain back holes. Best blown gasket scenario there is I suppose. Yet, no way I would have found it w/o pressurizing the system.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 3:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

You may be able to loan or rent a cooling system pressure test kit from a local auto parts store. There is also a test kit to determine if exhaust fumes are entering the coolant system. I don't usually use that test kit. I 'll just start the engine with the pressure teat gauge attached and look for a build up in pressure and/or bubbles in the coolant or inability to keep coolant in the system. This may help you feel better and assured that you don't have a problem. or.....confirm your observations.

Common symptoms of a blown head gasket include the following:
External leaks of coolant from under the exhaust gasket
Overheating under the hood
Smoke blowing from the exhaust with a white-ish tint
Depleted coolant levels with no trace of leakage
Bubble formations in the radiator and overflow compartment
Milky discoloration of the oil

If you have time to read here's a pretty good article to give you a little heads up...https://barsleaks.com/gaskets/sympto...n-head-gasket/

Cooling system pressure test video.

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Dec 1st, 17 at 4:17 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 6:19 PM Thread Starter
Claude

Pressure tested the heads after milling and they held up. Also told me valves were all seated. Also checked the deck on the block to ensure it was still flat. I ran the liquid exhaust test (Spider Kit ) and it came out clean. There is something around 16 lbs. of pressure when engine reaches temp, maybe that is not enough. I'll get a pressure set up and we'll see where that goes. Frankly, I just missed that possibility.
It's crazy that hot or cold the exhaust shows a lot of clear water, only on the 2-8 bank...but it is sporadic, not a constant every time event that I would associate with a blown gasket.
Thanks for input. I'll add results when I run the test.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 5:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

If the head[s] 'cooked'from o'heating after the first incident, then they probably lost their heat treatment...& are soft.

Heads probably should be re-heat treated.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Claude

Wow! I'm checking with Edelbrock tech. on this possibility with aluminum heads.
In passing, my son and Aussie wife and family live in Sunshine! Small world.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 3:09 PM Thread Starter
Claude

Al,
Pressure tested this AM. Given observed symptoms this just didn't occur to me. Bottom line it holds at around 12 lbs, but push it up to 15 and it does not. Great call. I'm not looking forward to pulling the heads, but I now suspect they were not correctly milled to bring them to even or I blew the install allowing a gasket to eventually leak. Not yet giving up on a possible cracked head as the #1 side behaves as it should and I installed that one also. . Either way the heads come off. I'll add results to this string.
Thank you!
Dinasaur/Claude
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 3:11 PM Thread Starter
Claude

Thanks. Please see response to Al.
Thanks for the problem solving.
Dianasaur/Claude
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 17, 3:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinasaur View Post
Al,
Pressure tested this AM. Given observed symptoms this just didn't occur to me. Bottom line it holds at around 12 lbs, but push it up to 15 and it does not. Great call. I'm not looking forward to pulling the heads, but I now suspect they were not correctly milled to bring them to even or I blew the install allowing a gasket to eventually leak. Not yet giving up on a possible cracked head as the #1 side behaves as it should and I installed that one also. . Either way the heads come off. I'll add results to this string.
Thank you!
Dinasaur/Claude
So you'll pull the head, at that time look for areas of leakage on head and gaskets check the deck, get the heads magnafluxed for cracks, make sure the heads are not warped and make sure you have the correct gaskets.....right? May as well do a complete rebuild on the heads if they check out. Isn't it time to add a new cam now?

Where are you ClaudE? I'm in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 17, 7:51 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

If it is clear water it is condensation. Dont try to compare it to a new car where the exhaust is a lot hotter and you rarely see or smell anything at all.

Don't try to make a problem when there isn't one.
oman likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 17, 1:34 PM Thread Starter
Claude

Mr. Bill,
The consensus of my car club members agreed with you. However, this was so weird I just couldn't stand it. Pulled the heads. Small crack at # 8 exhaust valve. New heads on order.
Claude
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 17, 2:49 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinasaur View Post
Small crack at # 8 exhaust valve. New heads on order.
Claude
Claude,
Did you have the head actually pressure tested or is just a small visible crack ? If you are going to scrap the, I will take them

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 806 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.