Aluminum vs. Iron: Apples-to-Apples - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 9:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Aluminum vs. Iron: Apples-to-Apples

Recently had the opportunity to R&R a pair of iron heads and replace with aluminum. The block is an aftermarket iron.

Platform=BBC, 9.8:1(flat-top pistons), mech-roller, 100% pump-gas compatible.

Absolutely not giving ANY brands here, it is NOT about the mfr's! Both head choices are compatible with the sole exception of the material.

I'll call them heads "AL" and "CI", based on the material. Both sets were very close in runner size, not enough to have any major effect in the larger picture.

Here are the flow numbers for both sets.

Heads "AL", flow: 370/280 @ .700"
Heads "CI", flow: 375/270 @ .700"

Flow numbers for both pair throughout the entire lift range were very close. There was NO add'l extensive porting on either heads, some very simple bowl work and identical on both sets!

Unit made 795 HP/750T with the "iron" and 742 HP/725T with the "aluminum". We've been well aware of this difference between the material components for years now. Aside from our own previous testing this had come up in a long discussion with a "very-high-up" (owner) at Dart back when, mid '80's or so.

This is as close to a "true" test as we can report on, really not looking to get into any "deep" debates over this issue, "it is what it is", at least for us.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Again, I'm NOT giving any head brands due to the fact it would have made absolutely no difference in our results, we really don't care about brands due to our own very highly experienced in-house head porter. We simply wanted both pairs of heads as close to identical as possible.
jeff swisher likes this.

Jan. 2016 - New York Street Ride 7.56 @ 190 @ 3800#
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Aluminum vs. Iron: Apples-to-Apples

Gary,
is the difference the heat in the chamber is greater then the aluminum?
I "think" I've read that somewhere yrs ago.
What's the weight diff between the 2?
Thanks,

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 10:43 AM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Yep, sorta matches everything I've read or seen in the last 30 years. The "standard cure" is a bit more compression on the AI heads, but in your case that would be apples and oranges.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Alex

Sheer curiosity, what's the bore\stroke on the engine?
CNC BLOCKS N/E likes this.

'89 Pontiac 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am #1326
(No it's not a BBC, but its just as fun at 28psi)

'70 SS 396 Chevelle (4 speed, factory cowl induction with flapper and pins, sporting a 454 and emblems to match, and owned since 1985)
Currently undergoing a restoration...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Only question I have is are the iron heads aftermarket or OEM?
Even if they're aftermarket there are so many other variables involved this is hardly conclusive based on material differences alone.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 9:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

That's a pretty big swing right there. How about headflow throughout the curve? Low lift a lot better on iron ones? Chamber design?

Interesting.....got any dyno sheets to see the curve/peaks/after peaks??

JIM
CNC BLOCKS N/E and Orr89rocz like this.

'67 Vette-555"/Gforce 5 Spd/Dana 60 IRS-3.07's

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 5:58 AM
Senior Tech Team

Carl, please refrain from attacking others.

Website is up and running

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Jul 20th, 17 at 6:21 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 6:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

TBH,Im not a dragracer,so I favor the iron heads above the aluminums on the street.Theyre cheaper,and they dont mess with my ride height,lol.

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 7:18 AM
Gold Member
Gene

They actually sank my car's front end nicely. Damn boat anchors.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 10:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

For what it's worth, back in the '70's, before everybody started manufacturing aftermarket heads, there was quite a bit of testing done comparing the open chamber Big Block Chevy Aluminum Square Port Heads with the Cast Iron Square Port Heads. Both were over the counter items.

Out of the box, the Iron Heads always made a little more power. Everybody attributed it to the better heat retention of the Iron Head. On a flow bench, the Iron Head's square Exaust Ports flowed better than the Aluminum Head's Round Ports. That could have had something to do with it as well.

I ran both on my APBA Super Stock Race Boats. In that class, you could do absolutely nothing to the ports, just a "competition valve job" as described in the rule book. Honestly, I could not tell much difference in the RPM at top end.

Anecdotal at best. But all all things being equal, I preferred the Iron Heads. There were simply too many problems with the Aluminum Winter Casting Heads to justify the weight saving.

Of course, things are different now. Modern aftermarket heads are light years ahead of those old Chevy Aluminum items.
66SSFan and steelcomp like this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 12:26 PM
Tech Team
Justin

Yes, i would look at entire flow curve of the head.

It be nice if there was a test where identical cnc programs were run thru two identical castings, one being alum and one being iron, to therefore have identical copies just different material

Also, is there a difference in port surface finish comparing iron to aluminum? Could alter boundary layer flow, much like discussions on burr finishes.

Minor changes in valvetrain alignment/geometry due to thermal growth differences in alum and iron also is something i ponder. Enough to change cam lift and duration a deg or two? I dont know.

But it is interesting. Always heard heat loss in chamber from alum required alum headed deals to have more compression to make same power

1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Dart SHP 401" Twin Turbo
8.24 at 169 street car
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Unfortunately without the heads being identical with the exception of material, it isn't quite apples to apples.

I have seen other tests, I believe it was with Dart heads that showed a power increase for the aluminum heads.

I never understood the whole heat retention theory. Does it give a better burn across the chamber? We know cold air/fuel makes more power, and we know lower water temps make more power too.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 12:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

990 casting vs. 074 casting would be a fair test in my mind...

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 1:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
990 casting vs. 074 casting would be a fair test in my mind...
Those are the heads we tested back in the '70's. I doubt anything has changed.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 2:01 PM
Tech Team
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
Unfortunately without the heads being identical with the exception of material, it isn't quite apples to apples.

I have seen other tests, I believe it was with Dart heads that showed a power increase for the aluminum heads.

I never understood the whole heat retention theory. Does it give a better burn across the chamber? We know cold air/fuel makes more power, and we know lower water temps make more power too.
As long as its not fuel limited, i would think the more heat in the chamber leads to more pressure upon combustion, and thus more torque. Want cold dense air going in, combust it and turn that heat energy to pressure on the pistons. Heat lost to coolant or surroundings is energy lost.
Anylizer likes this.

1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Dart SHP 401" Twin Turbo
8.24 at 169 street car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 735 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.