Installing Moroso long wheel studs. - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 17, 9:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Installing Moroso long wheel studs.

I'm installing Moroso #46180 wheel studs in my 12 bolt with Ten Factory axles.The studs are knurled and so were the shorter studs that came in the axles.It looks like from what I have read that I can't just draw them in with a wheel nut as I did back in the day.Is there any way to install these with out pulling the axles?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 17, 10:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Installing Moroso long wheel studs.

Depends.....can you post some pics?

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 17, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396375 View Post
Is there any way to install these with out pulling the axles?
If you had a hole in the backing plate in just the right spot you should be able to thread the stud in from the back side, so yes, you should be able to do it.
Steve R likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

OK.I was more questioning the method of pulling the studs through the axle flange.A lot of people think that a press is the only proper way.After more reading I think I should be getting 5/8" studs.The car weighs 4000#s with BBC and 200 shot for 720HP and I may up the spray.Drag radials.Sounds like a few guys have broken 1/2" studs if the car hooks hard.I think I'll get 5/8" studs and remove axles to drill and tap.I just had the car painted
Thanks to all.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 12:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Since I don't have a "Press" I bought a "Ball Joint Press", and I have used it for many things besides Ball Joints. U-joints being one. I wonder if you could slip that behind the Axel and pull the studs in that way. I hope this helps.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 2:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

This stud installer will help if you have to put lots of studs in axles.
https://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/lis...0-P113889.aspx
It has bearings to deal with the forcing instead of just using washers.
Rex Auftinn likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 3:01 AM
Senior Tech Team

I would upgrade to at least 1/2 wheel studs. A couple of weeks one of the guys that races every Wednesday night sheared off his second set of 7/16 aftermarket wheels studs. This is on a mid-11 second car with probably 1000+ passes running Mickey Thompson DOT drag radials. This is something you rarely see, I think I've only seen it happen four or five times in the 500+ races I've been to, but it does happen, so why take the chance.

Steve R
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 6:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

my bug is the only car I have ever run with 7/16" studs on the drive wheels.

78 Malibu, 402, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, Hoosier 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1600cc.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 9:34 AM
Team Member
Mark

I've done this a few times with a heavy duty c-clamp and a socket over the the bolt head.
396375 likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396375 View Post
OK.I was more questioning the method of pulling the studs through the axle flange.A lot of people think that a press is the only proper way.After more reading I think I should be getting 5/8" studs.The car weighs 4000#s with BBC and 200 shot for 720HP and I may up the spray.Drag radials.Sounds like a few guys have broken 1/2" studs if the car hooks hard.I think I'll get 5/8" studs and remove axles to drill and tap.I just had the car painted
Thanks to all.
The Moroso 5/8" studs are too long. Look at the Moser stuff. The studs need too match your wheel stud depth or the smooth portion of the stud can be too long, even with the supplied spacers.
Make sure your wheels can accommodate the larger stud to begin with.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

The Moroso 46180 is a knurled press-in 1/2 inch stud. You should be fine with them. I'd myself look for the needed size from ARP, they make their own studs and the quality is second to none. Hardened stud rolling is pretty specialized and I'd assume Moroso out sources them.

With stock style wheels, I like the 1" Allstar Racing lug nuts.

With a bunch of washers and plenty lube on the threads, it's easy to pull the studs onto the axle flange. When the head contacts the backside of the flange, it'll square itself.

Do you have the needed hole in the axle flanges for the knurl? Axle flanges are hardened and are a bitch to drill. I've done several using a tapered pin reamer.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 2:02 PM
Tech Team

Can borrow a ball joint press from Advance Auto, its in their front end tool kit. It will press out and reinstall studs

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Not sure on how big of a stud it works on, but I bought a Lisle tool made for pulling studs in. I used it on my 7/16 front studs, and it worked great. I posted about it in the tool and shop forum.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 17, 7:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Nova View Post
You will be fine with 1/2 studs. IF used properly there isn't an issue. DO NOT use acorn nuts, use only shouldered lug nuts.

And trying to thread an aftermarket axle is not something I would ask many people to do, it's a pain in the butt. Cold tapping into hardened axles is a tough job. I know machine shops that will NOT do it.

Also, you do not need to run the studs any longer then a couple threads past the end of the nuts? Put wheels and lug nuts on, tighten, then hit each of the studs with a cut-off wheel to mark where to cut, remove wheel and lugs, then REINSTALL lugs nuts all the way down, cut the studs, and remove the lugs nuts. They will "re-cut" or clean the end of the cut/burr as they come off. Then you can put a small chamfer on them.
I know most axles are hardened after all the machining is done.I've already had a problem with breaking studs and it wasn't pretty.My axles have 10 holes on each flange.From what I remember the other 5 holes looked like a different pattern but the holes also looked bigger then the 1/2" ones I used.Time to pull a wheel.I guess sending them out to Motive is the only way to machine for 5/8".
Thanks
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 17, 7:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

I also forgot to mention I have a 400 with a brake.If I ever hit the bottle with the trans brake I would like to know that I had a strong rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 725 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.