Aluminum radiators and electric fans - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old May 24th, 17, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Aluminum radiators and electric fans

Electric fans don't mean it will run cooler. In fact I'd say there are a lot of people that have cooling issues with their electric fan setups.

Marcus and Greg did it right by going with a quality aluminum radiator, and big Spal fans that have a full shroud and flaps that allow flow when driving at speed. Not to mention correct thermostat and timing.

Aside from cleaning up the engine bay, Andrew posted the real reason to switch to electric fans. More powwa!

Lastly, if you do go with electric fans. Make sure you upgrade your electric system. I recommend a 150 amp alternator, and going to 6 or 4 gauge wire off the alternator to the junction block, then 8 or 10 gauge return.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old May 25th, 17, 9:06 AM
Tech Team
Henry

Dewitts "Direct Fit" rad and fan combo.

Expensive but flat out works!!
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old May 25th, 17, 1:23 PM
Team Member
Geoff Swanson

The radiator and fan links listed below are what I run here in Tucson.
We had a daytime temp yesterday of 103 and I drove my 650 HP 496" to the office.
On the way home it was 103 and the car maintained 195 degrees for the 1/2 hour ride. it is a split between city streets and highway.
I also use a 185 degree fan thermostat and a 185 bypass, high flow style thermostat in the motor with an electric water pump. The bypass thermostat is necessary to use an electric water pump as you don't have a bypass hose from the manifold to the water pump like stock set ups.
At 95 degrees to about 75 degrees ambient temp it will run 180 up to 185 until the fans come on.
On cool nights (below 60) I've cruised on the highway for 50 miles and the fans never come even close to coming on as the motor will only get to 160 degrees. Evidently the bypass thermostat allows enough flow to keep the temp down at 160.

1964 1965 1966 1967 Chevy El Camino 4 Row Core Champion Aluminum Radiator DR | eBay

Dual 11" Electric Radiator Cooling Fans W/ Shroud Extreme Cooling Twin 2800 Cfm | eBay

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old May 25th, 17, 1:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

like the dual fan setup better, if one takes a dump you can still get home
with the single you get temp fluctuations dont like that part. with a mechanical it was always constant. who cares about 10-15hp at that point

Some mfrs rate their cfm without a radiator in front of it, others do, check into it. Thicker the radiator more fan youll need.
Skeptical about cheap ebay fans claiming lots of cfm

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you

Last edited by cuisinartvette; May 25th, 17 at 10:32 PM.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old May 25th, 17, 2:20 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson67ss View Post
The radiator and fan links listed below are what I run here in Tucson.
We had a daytime temp yesterday of 103 and I drove my 650 HP 496" to the office.
On the way home it was 103 and the car maintained 195 degrees for the 1/2 hour ride. it is a split between city streets and highway.
I also use a 185 degree fan thermostat and a 185 bypass, high flow style thermostat in the motor with an electric water pump. The bypass thermostat is necessary to use an electric water pump as you don't have a bypass hose from the manifold to the water pump like stock set ups.
At 95 degrees to about 75 degrees ambient temp it will run 180 up to 185 until the fans come on.
On cool nights (below 60) I've cruised on the highway for 50 miles and the fans never come even close to coming on as the motor will only get to 160 degrees. Evidently the bypass thermostat allows enough flow to keep the temp down at 160.

1964 1965 1966 1967 Chevy El Camino 4 Row Core Champion Aluminum Radiator DR | eBay

Dual 11" Electric Radiator Cooling Fans W/ Shroud Extreme Cooling Twin 2800 Cfm | eBay
Have any pics of your setup? I've been thinking about going to this exact same setup.

67 Malibu. 496. Time slips coming soon
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old May 25th, 17, 4:29 PM
Team Member
Geoff Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads67 View Post
Have any pics of your setup? I've been thinking about going to this exact same setup.
This is the best shot I have right now. I will take another pic or 2 tonight and post it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor 3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	445954  
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old May 25th, 17, 7:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Geoff
that Efan/Shroud looks the same as the one made by SPAL I have on my 2 Tubed Core Rad

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old May 25th, 17, 7:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
Why are you guys running your fans on the highway? The airflow from speed on the highway should be more than enough. If it isn't you need to consider more flaps!
Sorry so late replying to your Post, just saw it

The Efan/Shroud I have on my Rad, see Pics in my Post # 3 which shows
6 Flaps on Top and there are 6 Flaps on the bottom
no room for any more .

The reason for the one Efan on when on the Hwy is obvious
if you had read my Post # 3 completely
the Temp Sender in the Intake is set for 175* so the one Efan comes on just before the 180* Thermostat starts to open up
and it does not Fully open until 190-5*
so the Engine runs at 180* which is about the optimum Temp for it
and the Efan stays on because it is set at 175*

" usually one Efan on when on the Hwy and 2 Efans on in City Traffic/at the Track
one Efan is on a Temp sender and the 2nd is on a Toggle Switch"

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old May 25th, 17, 10:09 PM
Team Member
Geoff Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Geoff
that Efan/Shroud looks the same as the one made by SPAL I have on my 2 Tubed Core Rad

Yes they do. Would not be uncommon if they were made in the same Chinese factory and mold. Just pull out the Spal logo and name then replace it with a blank insert and run the no names.
The fans have been in the car for two years (15K miles) without a hitch. They came with a nice wiring harness and the relays.
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old May 25th, 17, 10:14 PM
Team Member
Geoff Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
Why are you guys running your fans on the highway? The airflow from speed on the highway should be more than enough. If it isn't you need to consider more flaps!
Come to Tucson in the summer and I'll give you five minutes on a 100 degree day before you need the fans. Put your hand out the window going 75 down the highway and it feels like a convection oven.
I have thought about wiring one fan to a switch so I could manually turn it on or off in the cooler 7 months of the year if needed.
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old May 26th, 17, 11:31 AM
Tech Team
Dave

How does running a fan help cooling when you're going down the road at 35+ mph? Unless the fan itself is causing some airflow restriction by not being powered, the forced airflow through the radiator from the vehicle moving is already going to be greater than whatever the fan could move on its own.

-Dave
Rex Auftinn likes this.

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old May 26th, 17, 11:05 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I tried my two cheapo 12" fans from speedway that were allegedly 1500 cfm each on wednesday. It got to 195 idling in the garage and was climbing. No good. Took it for a drive and it went back down to the normal 160. Pulled in the garage let it idle and back to 195. I took them off packed them up and returned them. I ordered a new Dorman fan for a Ford Contour that has been mentioned here. The shroud is indeed a perfect fit on my 66 radiator. I'm going to install it tomorrow. It has a resistor for low speed built into the shroud. I think I might wire them so they both run low speed all the time with ign on and let the FiTech turn both on the high speed at 170 then off at 160. Not sure yet. I might need a bigger alternator for this setup, I think it draws 20 some amps on high speed maybe 30.

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech TKO 600 5 speed
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 12:19 AM
Team Member
Geoff Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R View Post
I tried my two cheapo 12" fans from speedway that were allegedly 1500 cfm each on wednesday. It got to 195 idling in the garage and was climbing. No good. Took it for a drive and it went back down to the normal 160. Pulled in the garage let it idle and back to 195. I took them off packed them up and returned them. I ordered a new Dorman fan for a Ford Contour that has been mentioned here. The shroud is indeed a perfect fit on my 66 radiator. I'm going to install it tomorrow. It has a resistor for low speed built into the shroud. I think I might wire them so they both run low speed all the time with ign on and let the FiTech turn both on the high speed at 170 then off at 160. Not sure yet. I might need a bigger alternator for this setup, I think it draws 20 some amps on high speed maybe 30.

What temp thermostat are you running ? A motor will never run cooler than the thermostat that is in it unless you are at speed and in very cool weather. Even if your thermostat is rated below 195 are you sure it works at its claimed temperature ?
I've always boiled water and tested the claimed temp before installing.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 5:13 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
PooManchoo2
The HP numbers are flawed.
Although the comparison between each of the*fans would be similar to each other. In real-life, all the fans*are*all fed moving air (um.. vehicle is*moving), and therefore using less power overall.
This test needs to be redone with wind speed in the dyno cell of 60mph to have relevance to actual conditions -if at all possible.
Anyway.. OE clutch fans rule. I can't stand the horrid white noise of electric fans that you often hear before the V8 rumble.

David Freiburger
PooManchoo2 People keep making this comment and it's true, but there's another thing to consider: Engine compartments, especially on older vehicles, are not free flowing. There can often be pressure under the hood at road speeds. It's not as simple as "the fan is being fed air at 60 mph, so it's not working as hard."

PooManchoo2
That may be true too, but it's also a well known fact (in almost all vehicle*cases)*that you don't even need a*fan when*at speed. This*is proof of lots of free flowing air, and proof that any fan in use*will be consuming far less power than when having to pull stationary air like when*in the dyno cell.
I'll bet that*the OE clutch fan uses less than half of what the test said it does*in real life.
In fact, I think I remember HRM (maybe while you were there) did a chassis dyno test and reported only 5 rwhp*using*an OE clutch fan.
I'll also assume that the car on the chassis dyno was fed moving air as standard.
Cheers.

Post pictures.. -or it never happened!
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old May 27th, 17, 9:30 AM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson67ss View Post
What temp thermostat are you running ? A motor will never run cooler than the thermostat that is in it unless you are at speed and in very cool weather. Even if your thermostat is rated below 195 are you sure it works at its claimed temperature ?
I've always boiled water and tested the claimed temp before installing.
I have a 160 thermostat and the temp sensor reads 160 going down the road. So with enough airflow it should be able to idle at 160 or at least 170.

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech TKO 600 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 892 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.