9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 17, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Re: Need another inch............

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
Doug, he's more abrasive than my ex wife, lol. I drove right by his shop, on the way to Moxley's to have this driveshaft made.
Enuff said,lol.

70 SS 454 LS-5 M-22 Bornwith Drivetrain-Sold New Baldwin Chevrolet
72 SS 454 El Camino W Code-427 4spd.
60',1.46, [email protected] [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elky at Cecil
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chevelle Resto Pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 7:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougA View Post
Enuff said,lol.
I last dealt with him when he was up in Belair, near the Auto Auction place, several years ago...but he was a bit more cordial and much more normal back then. I work maybe 3 miles away from where he is now....

Since the new transmission has to come out again, it's probably not the time to visit someone who I know will only piss me off further...

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
6.0 LQ4, 4L80e, 9", Turbocharged
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 7:43 AM
Tech Team
Hans

Bob,

I might be wrong here but I thought you can remove the tail housing from the transmission and then replace the bushing. It has been a while that I worked on a TH 400 but I think there is a snap rink holding the housing even after the bolts are removed, you can compress it at the tangs and the housing slides off.

I also had to buy a new, longer shaft when I recently switched to a 9" Ford.

1969 Chevelle SS, zz454HO, Sniper EFI, Bowtie 200r4, 9" with 4.11's (money pit).
2018 Toyota Tundra Limited Crew Max (DD and dog hauler)
2012 BMW 128i convertible (wife's)

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 7:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
Bob,

I might be wrong here but I thought you can remove the tail housing from the transmission and then replace the bushing. It has been a while that I worked on a TH 400 but I think there is a snap rink holding the housing even after the bolts are removed, you can compress it at the tangs and the housing slides off.

I also had to buy a new, longer shaft when I recently switched to a 9" Ford.
This is not the tailshaft housing bushing...that one is actually fine, and still where it is supposed to be.

This is actually a transmission housing bushing for the output shaft itself that somehow dislodged from the housing...trans guy said I was lucky I didn't destroy the whole transmission...

I didn't see (in video) this until I climbed under to remove the tailhousing...

What blows is that I have THREE lifts, but all were tied up, so I started, what should have been a simple job, on the ground, using jackstands, and now I get to drop it back down, so I can spin the car around on GoJacks, and push it to one of the lifts after work today...lol.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 8:06 AM
Tech Team
Hans

OK, my bad I misunderstood you.

Anyway, at least it is a cheap fix although labor intensive. I got mine apart as well, in the process of installing A/C. One of theses days I just drive it more then what I work on it and sink money into it.
rel3rd likes this.

1969 Chevelle SS, zz454HO, Sniper EFI, Bowtie 200r4, 9" with 4.11's (money pit).
2018 Toyota Tundra Limited Crew Max (DD and dog hauler)
2012 BMW 128i convertible (wife's)
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 10:59 AM
Tech Team
Bill

I know this has been sorted - but just a comment on getting a driveshaft manufactured for any that may have the need. I purchased from Precision Shaft Technologies in FL. Great customer service, fast turn around and nice piece (and price). Check out yellowbullet.com for - I would venture to say 100% positive comments/reviews.
rel3rd likes this.

71 Chevelle
Mark Jones 454
Dynamic TH400
QP 9"
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 9:26 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
This is not the tailshaft housing bushing...that one is actually fine, and still where it is supposed to be.

This is actually a transmission housing bushing for the output shaft itself that somehow dislodged from the housing...trans guy said I was lucky I didn't destroy the whole transmission...

I didn't see (in video) this until I climbed under to remove the tailhousing...

Turbo 400 output shaft bushing failure - YouTube

What blows is that I have THREE lifts, but all were tied up, so I started, what should have been a simple job, on the ground, using jackstands, and now I get to drop it back down, so I can spin the car around on GoJacks, and push it to one of the lifts after work today...lol.

When you (or the shop) change out the bushing, fit the "top hat" style version of that bushing. The standard design output shaft bushing has a propensity for working its' way loose in the Turbo 400. The flange on the top hat bushing prevents that.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 7:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaljam View Post
I know this has been sorted - but just a comment on getting a driveshaft manufactured for any that may have the need. I purchased from Precision Shaft Technologies in FL. Great customer service, fast turn around and nice piece (and price). Check out yellowbullet.com for - I would venture to say 100% positive comments/reviews.
Their prices look very encouraging. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstandring View Post
When you (or the shop) change out the bushing, fit the "top hat" style version of that bushing. The standard design output shaft bushing has a propensity for working its' way loose in the Turbo 400. The flange on the top hat bushing prevents that.
You don't happen to have a brand name or part # by some chance, do you?

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
No...that's NOT what she said last night...

I had a driveshaft made 2 years ago, after the stocker exploded through the traps at the track...

Ever since, it's had a mild vibration.
I "assumed" that I had simply hurt something else, and just lived with it...

Long story short....

Spline engagement at transmission yoke is barely over an inch, taking into consideration the shaft's length in regards to the seal...and has 1-5/8" of travel between where it is at ride height, and where it is when fully inserted onto the output shaft.

So, I think I'm about an inch short on total length, namely output shaft spline engagement ???

It doesn't even appear to be fully inside of the tailshaft housing bushing...

I have 2 options, I THINK....

One is to have/buy/make a 1" longer slip yoke, which is obviously the cheapest "fix"...

OR...

Another custom built driveshaft...

Has anyone here been in this predicament?

My yoke's length (just the part that slides through seal) is roughly 3-5/8", but I have seen one, while searching, that is 4-5/8"

Would that safely CURE the problem of my total length of driveshaft being 1 inch short?
Yes, i went with a longer yoke. Sonnax has a longer Yoke, very affordable and it is a work of art. Been in my car since this time last year with zero issues. I got mine from Summit. Search on Sonnax's website.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
Yes, i went with a longer yoke. Sonnax has a longer Yoke, very affordable and it is a work of art. Been in my car since this time last year with zero issues. I got mine from Summit. Search on Sonnax's website.
I actually got one of those, and it is sweet looking....but I found there's another issue...

Just left the driveshaft place, and the transmission place, dropping stuff off...

The problem is, I have a truck transmission, with the threaded hole on the output shaft, which originally used a stationary transmission yoke.

There is a raised "stop" that is actually part of the output shaft, that will not let any yoke slide on more than 3" from the very end

This prevents the "slip yoke" from having enough area for the yoke to slide

I had 1-5/8" total length from where yoke used to sit, to it being totally bottomed out, but still had about 1.5" of yoke tube showing.

SO....

The Turbo 400 is coming apart, hopefully today. Then I can go grab it, and get the output shaft's raised section machined down, so any yoke will be able to slide into the transmission fully...

Since the driveshaft is still too short, no matter what, as soon as transmission is back, then I can get the CORRECT "at rest" measurements, and get a new driveshaft made. I actually did go to the local guy, and he was OK TODAY....so, new tube, balanced, and the machining of the output shaft for 300, so guess that ain't too bad.....and surely could have been worse.

post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 2:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

glad your getting it fixed, $300 does not sound bad around here it is $150 for a shaft if you provide the yoke and u joints.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 17, 8:17 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Their prices look very encouraging. Thanks for the tip.

You don't happen to have a brand name or part # by some chance, do you?
Sonnax 34006-SP. Go to Sonnax Case Bushing - 34006-SP
rel3rd likes this.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 17, 8:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Need another inch............

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstandring View Post
Sonnax 34006-SP. Go to Sonnax Case Bushing - 34006-SP
Awesome. Thank you very much for that.

post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 17, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
I actually got one of those, and it is sweet looking....but I found there's another issue...

Just left the driveshaft place, and the transmission place, dropping stuff off...

The problem is, I have a truck transmission, with the threaded hole on the output shaft, which originally used a stationary transmission yoke.

There is a raised "stop" that is actually part of the output shaft, that will not let any yoke slide on more than 3" from the very end

This prevents the "slip yoke" from having enough area for the yoke to slide

I had 1-5/8" total length from where yoke used to sit, to it being totally bottomed out, but still had about 1.5" of yoke tube showing.

SO....

The Turbo 400 is coming apart, hopefully today. Then I can go grab it, and get the output shaft's raised section machined down, so any yoke will be able to slide into the transmission fully...

Since the driveshaft is still too short, no matter what, as soon as transmission is back, then I can get the CORRECT "at rest" measurements, and get a new driveshaft made. I actually did go to the local guy, and he was OK TODAY....so, new tube, balanced, and the machining of the output shaft for 300, so guess that ain't too bad.....and surely could have been worse.
You can VERY easily grind some off of that and use a regular yoke.

It is just 2 grooves for an O-ring to sit in. I ground mine down about .060 and the yoke slips in and out. I have a race trans and a slightly less race trans for my car. The race trans in an aftermarket output shaft and the less raceier trans is a bolt on yoke type. I certainly was not going to have 2 different driveshaft setups.

I ground it down with the trans together, just taped everything off, carbide burr in a die grinder.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 17, 1:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

That was what I had thought about doing myself.
The biggest there for me was the output shaft bushing was pushed out into the tailshaft housing.

It had to come apart and trans guy had an already machined output shaft.

I just got back from picking it up. Actually watched him disassemble and re-assemble it...Everything looked great, including the main housing, so I had a little good luck.

And I still may be able to use the nice yoke I bought...

Won't have the driveshaft until I get the trans back in and give him the actual measurements though. He said, probably Tuesday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 986 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.