Performance Our High Performance area

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Feb 14th, 17, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVelle View Post
For minimal cost but a bunch of work.
Being it probably has peanut ports as you assume.
I'd yank the heads off and pocket port the bowels, while changing the head gaskets to steel shims.( if it doesn't have them already.)
Just don't nick the seats and a quick hand lap after and you would be good to go. (Provided the valve job was in decent shape to begin with.)
It would take better advantage of the larger cam your intending.
I would go a little farther with the heads myself, but I can do valve jobs for me for free.
So here is why I won't pull the heads. I have a bit of OCD and I know when I pull those heads I will see a ring ridge. I will try and convince myself it will be fine right up to the point I haul it to my friend to bore and hone it then order forged dome pistons. If I leave the heads on I will never know.

My last garbage 454 made 495hp and 950ftlbs before it detonated itself to death with 14psi and a impco 425 (propane for you following at home).

I know this engine won't run 10s or possibly even 13s but it will be fun in my daily and will be a neat experiment in what will garbage make. Typically I would be more concervative and go 214/224 or something so I am trusting you guys a bit. I have a car that has gone 6.30s in the 1/8th and will hopefully go a bit quicker with this winters suspension mods. This one is just for fun.
427L88 and 66SSFan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 17, 7:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: Yes another low compression super budget 454

My '86 454 had PP heads and golf ball dish pistons, it already had steel shim head gaskets, yours probably does too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Feb 16th, 17, 1:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I suspect it has been rebuilt, I will use a bore scope to look at the pistons but really 7.8 vs 8 for a 1979 454 is hardly worth the effort to look. I still should do a compression check even if it is just on my engine stand with the starter.

Old Feb 24th, 17, 3:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

So being a tight ass, do you think I can get away with a speedway 2200-2500 th400 converter with this engine? it is $50 cheaper than the 2500-2700 and I am using a fairly high 3.23 gear. Also thinking I may try and swap in my super T-10 I have from my Camaro, eventually.
Old Mar 1st, 17, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I pulled it down to the long block. Though it is obvious that the pan and intake have been off it still has moraine bearings and a GM oil pump (though the rods are numbered). Everything looks really good. The cam had been replaced with a cam dynamics 272H10 and it appears matching springs. I will check the springs when I replace the valve guide seals but if they are good that will save me a couple bucks. I checked and it for sure has flattop pistons and if the rest is any indication it is likely stock bore.

I was planning on the erson 120721 (224/235 .542 110lsa) but with 81 degrees of overlap I am afraid the idle quality will be reduced too much.

Is a erson 120621(220/228 .542 110) with 70 deg of overlap a better choice?

I am not hung on Erson but my machinist gets a pretty good discount so if they have a cam that fits I will use one from them.
Visard would suggest a super tight LSA but it is hard to find anything tighter than a 110.

I any other experiences with cams in engines like this? My first peanut port 454 had a 204/214 and was done at 3950 on the chassis dyno. Looking for a bit more than that.

Finally I have a spare set of 3/8 comp pushrods, is it worth the expense of buying new guide plates or just keep running my 5/16? obviously the rpm of this engine will be fairly low.
Old Mar 3rd, 17, 3:23 AM
Tech Team
Kerry

How about the 221/235?

BBC Performance Hyd Cam & Lifter Kit - 306/322, 221/235@.050 .500/.512 l | USA Performance Parts

I would definitely go to 3/8" pushrods, flex of the 5/16" will cost you valve lift. Find a set of used full roller rockers as well and get the geometry set right (straub video method). Performer rpm intake.
Old Mar 7th, 17, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I ordered a E120721 (tq-50H) like I first posted. Since it is ground straight up I will probably advance it 4 degrees

Installing 3/8 guide plates from a 366t

Using a weiand 8122 because I have it, topped with the stock 800 cfm Qjet (lighter power piston spring and tuning)

Found a set of gen V/VI valve covers in my stash I will clean up and use.

Reusing the oil pump that looks great with a pink spring from a used HV pump I have.

Pretty low budget deal mostly just for tire smoke and cruising.
427L88 likes this.
Old Mar 7th, 17, 9:21 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Sounds like a simple and effective build!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Old Mar 8th, 17, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

So far my build up has cost $350 for a new cam, timing chain set, gasket set and a new damper. If my springs check good I should be done spending money on the internals.

I will need a new water pump and fuel pump and a rebuild kit for the carb, new wires, and plugs.

Then the car will get a cheap speedway converter 2200-2600

Finally a Jegs 2.5" dual kit for a 73-77 chevelle.

Trying to keep it all under a grand for the whole build.

I will drive it a few weeks to dial in the carb and dist on the street for mpg and part throttle. Then I will take it to the chassis dyno to dial in the wot.
Old Mar 10th, 17, 3:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Tell us how it comes out and maybe do a video with the engine running. I have a PP 454 in my Chevelle and I am trying to decide on a new camshaft also. I want loads of torque and plenty of vacuum for power brakes.

Eric
Old May 24th, 19, 9:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes another low compression super budget 454 part 2

So since I can't reply to the old thread and I wanted to update and to ask a question here on the same engine, I started a new post. Mods can put them together if they prefer. This is the link to my first thread.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...get-454-a.html

Here is my reply I typed out and was told I couldn't post.

So since I am obviously on top of my game with quick replies, here goes.

I finally got the 454 stabbed into the 74 crew cab and other than a super tight rear header bolt against the AC box, it went smoothly. The final idle vacuum was 15in/hg with just a little chop at 800 rpm. It ran super strong for a free no compression 454, though the speedway converter was junk (I should have known). It lasted for a few cruises around town, but after a couple John Force style 3rd gear burnouts the stock th350 wasn't up to the task.

So now it sits in my 74 crew cab in the backyard. The plan is to swap the 454 into our newly purchased 70 Sport Coupe Malibu L-48 4 speed car (built from 2 cars in the late 70s so not #s matching) and for the rest to donate parts to my wife's 74 malibu that I am working on.

Since I am never one to leave anything alone, I am having a set of 215 heads rebuilt and will add a Bowtie version of the Performer Rpm qjet.

So here is the question of the post, knowing that this engine only sees about 4K miles a summer and will eventually be replaced with a 496-505, would you add bigger valves? I don't plan on hardened seats and a trip to the strip will be few and far between.

Again, this is a 79 454 1979 lf-9 factory rated at 205hp 336ftlbs, unknown mileage, flat tops, stock oil pump, pink oil pump spring, erson e120721 296adv / 228 @ .05 intake, 306adv /235 exhaust @ .05 .542 lift 110 lsa cam, 800 cfm smab qjet, 2" hooker headers, 2 1/2 Exahust, 17749 dynomax mufflers.
Old May 24th, 19, 10:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Yes another low compression super budget 454 part 2

I would leave the 2.06/1.72 valves for what you are doing. Should be alot of fun in your 1970 Malibu 4 speed
Also,hardened exhaust seats not needed either.
71350SS, 427L88 and Hillbilly40 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 24th, 19, 10:16 AM
Levon

Merged Threads

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

Old May 24th, 19, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

i just posted a response to use l29 vortec heads but it disappeared. any way a set of these will get your compression up to 9 to 1 and work great on what youre doing
Old May 24th, 19, 10:25 AM
Levon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
i just posted a response to use l29 vortec heads but it disappeared. any way a set of these will get your compression up to 9 to 1 and work great on what youre doing
Might have posted while I was merging. Sorry.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in