Is it worth putting vortecs on a 305? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 6:05 PM Thread Starter

Is it worth putting vortecs on a 305?

Ok so back story is I bought my car about 3 years ago with a 305 with a performer intake and rv cam. It's reasonably quick with 3.73s but I wanted a little more so I bought a 350 to swap in. I don't have the time or space to build it though so it's been sitting in a shed. I honestly don't need 400hp to cruise around on a nice Saturday and have been thinking about sticking with what I have. I've been getting the tinkering bug lately though.
I have some vortec heads I bought for the 350 and am thinking about putting them on the 305 since that's something I can do with what I already have. I'll be taking care of the exhaust at the same time.
The cr with 58cc heads is 9.5:1 & the new ones are listed at 64cc but I've read they're usually closer to 62. I don't want to mill the heads in case I do end up using them on the 350. How much cr will I lose with a .015 gasket? I've heard different specs for the factory gasket but the most common is .028.
I have a q jet on the car right now and a 600 edelbrock 1405 laying around. I don't have any problems with the current carb but it really limits what intake I can use. I'd like something more performance oriented than a performer style. Maybe the summit stage 2. How will the 2 carbs compare in this application?
Any guesses how much power to expect out of this combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 6:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Is it worth putting vortecs on a 305?

Have you factored in the cost of a manifold that will fit Vortec heads. When you add up the costs involved with the swap the money might be better spent on your 350 or buying an inexpensive crate motor. If those aren't an option think about limiting your modifications to those that will directly bolt onto the 350 or spending a bit of money to make sure your 305 is dialed in.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Feb 5th, 17 at 6:36 PM. Reason: Zzzz
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 7:51 PM Thread Starter

I only have a gravel driveway to work with right now so pulling the motor isn't going to happen for a while. I would have to buy an intake anyways to put together the 350 so I'm not counting that as an expense. I'd rather not spend $400 on the q jet rpm though. I am trying to make sure that everything I use will transfer over to it. I don't like wasting money either. I'm thinking the only extra things I'll end up buying is gaskets.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 8:04 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

You can pull a motor in a gravel driveway. Just use a 4x8 sheet 3/4" plywood to roll your hoist on. I did it twice before I built my garage. It wasn't a big deal. It makes more sense to do that than swap heads then take them off again and swap engines.
BTK and Saltherring like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

GM called their engines Vortec for a long time, 20 years or more I think. What are your head casting numbers? 305's have small bores. Will the valves the 350 heads clear them? You will lose compression, which is torque. Is it worth it to gain a little flow?

Devin

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My never-ending project:
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 10:35 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

First, I would NOT buy that Summit carb. Get a proper Holley, Edelbrock, or whatever floats your boat.

Second, the thickness of your head gasket and your compression ratio change is almost meaningless for this project, IMHO. You'd more than make that up with better, Vortec heads. FWIW, keep in mind that going Vortec is great.....but you'll spend more $$$ than you think at first. Intake manifold, rocker arms, valve covers all have to change. Some mounting brackets that need the "old" intake bolt pattern to mount will not work without modification.

Having said that, when I had the factory 307 in my Malibu, I did NOTHING to it. Instead, I saved up for a 350 and slowly acquired the pieces that I needed for my swap. From my point of view (which will be different from many) any time or money that I spent on my 307 was a waste. Instead, I focused my time and money on the 350 and simply tolerated the 307 in the meantime. When I finally got around to my 350, it was....awesome. I have no regrets at all about how I did things.

Lastly, no one NEEDS a 400HP motor to go cruising on a Saturday....but it sure is fun!!
Steve R, badrad and Saltherring like this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Leave the 305 as it is. No need to throw good money after bad.
Take your time and build a stroker out of your 350 block and use the Vortec heads. None of us NEED more than 400hp on the street, but we all WANT more than what we have and once you get used to a warmed over 305, you'll WANT more.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 2:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansXcuse View Post
Ok so back story is I bought my car about 3 years ago with a 305 with a performer intake and rv cam. It's reasonably quick with 3.73s but I wanted a little more so I bought a 350 to swap in. I don't have the time or space to build it though so it's been sitting in a shed. I honestly don't need 400hp to cruise around on a nice Saturday and have been thinking about sticking with what I have. I've been getting the tinkering bug lately though.
I have some vortec heads I bought for the 350 and am thinking about putting them on the 305 since that's something I can do with what I already have. I'll be taking care of the exhaust at the same time.
The cr with 58cc heads is 9.5:1 & the new ones are listed at 64cc but I've read they're usually closer to 62. I don't want to mill the heads in case I do end up using them on the 350. How much cr will I lose with a .015 gasket? I've heard different specs for the factory gasket but the most common is .028.
I have a q jet on the car right now and a 600 edelbrock 1405 laying around. I don't have any problems with the current carb but it really limits what intake I can use. I'd like something more performance oriented than a performer style. Maybe the summit stage 2. How will the 2 carbs compare in this application?
Any guesses how much power to expect out of this combo?

So I ran the numbers and swapping over to 350 vortec heads of the 906/062 design is pretty much a wash on compression when using a steel shim gasket .015" and assuming 62 cc's, now if they are 64 cc then looking at .1-.2 drop in compression. Your still power ahead because of the better heads.

I did this swap on a 350 for dirt cheap, I bought two sets of vortec heads for 80 bucks, I researched both casting that what I had and found out they are the same, so I picked the cleanest set of the two.

I took the vortec heads apart and filed down the valve guides with a flat bastard for more lift clearance, I got a spring kit.

Vortec Head Spring/Retainer Kit - Straub Technologies

I hand lapped the valves in to clean up the pitted seats til they looked good. I was done with heads.

i f I was to do it again I would just file down the guides and just buy new springs for about 35 bucks and be really cheaper than the kit, being first time down the vortec road I did not know how the kit was getting it's clearance, so you could save a few bucks just doing some manual labor.

So no real money in the heads, in fact I sold the other pair on craigslist for 100 bucks.

With a little longer search you can probably find cheaper, but I saw these, less than 30 bucks for your steel shim gasket.

Felpro 7733SH1 Steel Shim Head Gasket Small Block Chevy 4 100 034 Bore 016 034 Thick | eBay

depending if you have rocker arms, if you need to buy some I got something like these for dirt cheap. 60 bucks

Chevy SBC 350 1.5 Ratio 7/16" Self Aligning Steel Roller Tip Rocker Arm Set

So now you should be able to slap the heads on and lash the valves, so this leaves for the intake which I bought a cheap 100 dollar rpm knock off at the time I found on ebay it was a display model, I did a quick search on ebay theres a 160 dollar cross wind intake that's just like I bought.

Professional Products 52028 Crosswind SB Chevy Vortec Aluminum Intake Manifold | eBay

So then I would invest in a very good carb you can later carry over to your 350, so I would get a very nice 750 holley vacuum secondary, even for your 305, your not going to kill a thing, about everyone on the planet would say go with a 600 cfm carb and 750 will kill the engine, HOGWASH, I have done several track outing thru my life and my sons 305 ran great with a 750 holley ( we went from a nice 600 holley I built for him to my old friend 750 cfm I have had for decades and his car didn't slow down one bit).

Valve covers, go find some stockers and clean them up, I got some for free from a friend who was going to toss them, so you might be able to do the same.

What the cost, not much around 350 bucks and a learning life lesson, you might be able to sell your current carbs and invest in a nicer 750 holley, you should be able to pick one up from ebay or craigslist for under 200 used- cheaper if you can rebuild them, I see fine good examples often or you can dish out about 300-350 for a new one.

Hope this helps and every part transfers over to a 350, so your just pre fitting your top end on a 305 is all.....lol

Hope this helps

pics of projects and whatever.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 6:03 PM Thread Starter

Good info thanks. I got the heads complete off a guy that bought the 330 hp gm crate motor, wasn't happy after the first drive and upgraded to edelbrocks. Really wish I'd asked him about the intake cause he probably would have thrown it in free. Cost me $350 with chrome gmpp valve covers & Selling my old heads almost covered that. I was thinking the same thing about the 750 holley. I wouldn't really need to do that right away either so I can wait for the right deal to come along. If nothing else I'd end up with a nice looking engine bay.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 2:21 PM Thread Starter

I found a performer rpm for a great price. That pretty much rules out the q jet but I really didn't want a low rise manifold that would be a limitation down the road.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 6:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

So use a 10 adapter plate
Vottecs dont come with big valves ignore the 58 vs ?? CC have em shaved.
Thre craz sever porting on 305 heads DONT WASTE YOUR TIME they are crap plain and simple
Get a set....make em work get anice power increase. OR if you can make things very easy and get a 350.

You can do oral surgery through one of two holes which is the easiest old saying

You can tell guys win or lose well its a305. Noone cares you win you win thats what its all about. Why spend money if youre not happy with the results
Some may disagree but after 50 yrs Ive done EVERYthing wrong many time with builds. Do it right...make it easy .Go big as you possibly can thats WHERE its at period. Have fun

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 6:49 PM
Tech Team
Shane

Can still use qjet with adapter/spacer... But don't .... Just bite the bullet and get 750 Holley double pumper... I personally am not a fan of vac secondaries , have always picked up going to mech.

I have found used ones on eBay or Craigslist for under 100.00 that need rebuilt. Just run the numbers on the front to identify.

Buy a quick fuel/aed/Holley rebuild kit. Take apart and soak everything in half pinesol half water for 2-3 days , pressure washer/rinse off. Perfect . Easy .

Or buy one new. In my opinion edelbrocks suck for performance, Holley always makes more power .

Vortecs are great heads and if your 305 has good compression and you pair it with a cam swap , xe268, voodoo equivalent.. Or isky .450 lift rule cams work well with vortecs... Just keep duration under low 230's. Cheap cam swap under 200.00 including lifters . I like the Delphi lifters skip white sells. Quality and cheap. Make a huge difference.

Headers are a must .

And shave the vortecs till the machinist hits valves .. More compression with the 350 won't matter , just add more cam (more overlap/duration)when you build it. 10.5 vortec 350 on pump doable with right cam ......

Rpm intake (or like) .... Got a good running engine.....

My .02
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 7:02 PM
Tech Team
Shane

And more money ($100.00) but Alex parts sells drop-in spring kits good to .550 I believe . Worth it to me unless u got the time to mod heads yourself.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 7:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

If you are thinking the Performer RPM is a limitation down the road you are wrong thinking that.

The RPM is an excellent manifold with a Q jet or Edelbrock or Holley.
Just tune the carb.

Here is one for ya.
355" chevy [email protected] .050" solid flat tappet 1.6 roller rockers .571" lift 106LSA ported 601 casting 305 heads 1.94-1.60 Valves.
cast rebuilder pistons.

.. Victor JR intake was tried ran it with 750 Q jet and 800 DP holley.. turdish everwhere.. 1" and 2" and 3" spacers tried.
Ported iron Q jet intake was then tried...Man that thing woke up.. many spacers and the 2 carbs were tried.. it did not care as long as you had 2" of spacers it ran the same with both carbs.

Holley strip dominator was then tried with both carbs and a 750 carter AFB.
Carbs were a wash but man great power.. a little bit better than the highly ported Qjet intake.

Then a Hurricane intake was stuck on to it with 4 corner cooling.. not quite the power as the Strip Dominator.. but more than the Qjet.
Guy stuck with the Holley 800 as the other carbs were mine and it did not matter which one was on it.

Ran mid 11's 3000 lb 411 gears 3500 stall .

All carbs can run very well in the right hands.. you just need to know the carb.. so get one you know how to tweak.
If you do not know how to tweak ,, get a how to book on the subject.

It will be the best 20 bucks you can spend.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 7:42 PM
Tech Team
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
If you are thinking the Performer RPM is a limitation down the road you are wrong thinking that.

The RPM is an excellent manifold with a Q jet or Edelbrock or Holley.
Just tune the carb.

Here is one for ya.
355" chevy [email protected] .050" solid flat tappet 1.6 roller rockers .571" lift 106LSA ported 601 casting 305 heads 1.94-1.60 Valves.
cast rebuilder pistons.

.. Victor JR intake was tried ran it with 750 Q jet and 800 DP holley.. turdish everwhere.. 1" and 2" and 3" spacers tried.
Ported iron Q jet intake was then tried...Man that thing woke up.. many spacers and the 2 carbs were tried.. it did not care as long as you had 2" of spacers it ran the same with both carbs.

Holley strip dominator was then tried with both carbs and a 750 carter AFB.
Carbs were a wash but man great power.. a little bit better than the highly ported Qjet intake.

Then a Hurricane intake was stuck on to it with 4 corner cooling.. not quite the power as the Strip Dominator.. but more than the Qjet.
Guy stuck with the Holley 800 as the other carbs were mine and it did not matter which one was on it.

Ran mid 11's 3000 lb 411 gears 3500 stall .

All carbs can run very well in the right hands.. you just need to know the carb.. so get one you know how to tweak.
If you do not know how to tweak ,, get a how to book on the subject.

It will be the best 20 bucks you can spend.
Only place you will find anything other than a Holley design carb a true performance/race motor is a class rule engine.... Ex. Super stock with qjet....

Holley dp will always pick up in my experience...

JS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 946 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.