Performance Our High Performance area

168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 8:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Big Block vs LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Bu View Post
I think it's the other way around, the LS crowd seem to think that if I drive my big block further than to a parade or a car show it will likely leave me stranded... Seriously? Oh wait, that's wrong, it's just that if it's capable of being fast it can't be reliable like a 180,000 mile junk yard motor. Who knows, maybe they are right...

Personally, I have no problem with the LS motor, other than I don't find them particularly pleasing to look at. I mean heck, if the factories solution to dolling one up is to cover it up with a big old piece of plastic... Well, it leaves a little to be desired, at least to me it does. But lord knows that can be quick... and reliable... and get good gas mileage... and evidently damn near free to own...

But me, I prefer my big block and I plan on it being quick... reliable... and get good (decent?) gas mileage... To me I've combined the best of both worlds, I have a big cube, big block with multi port EFI... it slipped right in the engine compartment of my '66, no fab no mods, nothing, slipped right in... I can select up to 4 preprogrammed 'tunes' from the comfort of the driver's seat just by turning a knob on the console... I can select 'economy' on the way to the track and when I get there just flip it on over to 'performance'... it also controls my electric fans, fuel pump, trans cooler, converter, data logs, traction control, and about 80 other things that I may or may not be smart enough to figure out... And it ought to be pretty quick, she dyno'ed at 700 hp and 680 ft lb torque... I even opted for the 4L80E 4 speed overdrive transmission to put behind her, so as I stated earlier, at 65 I'll be rolling along at less than 2K rpms.... I'm hoping for high teens in gas mileage, but we'll have to see... And though I am building her as a driver, she won't be my daily driver, a) she's way too pretty to drive in in-climate weather, and b) I have a bunch of other vehicles that need some love too, and three of them have an LS in them... But I will drive her several thousand miles a year, I'll be taking her on vacations/road trips, and beat on her like she was built to do... only time will tell...
Seriously man. I am glad you are doing it how you want to. That is how I wanted to do it. I had a friend build an engine and it blew. I had a local mechanic that everyone praised build one and give it a shot. Guess what? It blew. I was contacted by Mark Jones who said he could do it. Guess what? It blew. I build one with zero experience by having a machine shop go through it and me putting all new bearings in it. It lasts 2 years and runs 5.60's. The statement is not meant to brag. Big block guys amaze me how they try to spin it like that. What the pattern is, if a my buddy, a known local who has had success, and the great Mark Jones have all tried it and the engine blew. Maybe this is the only way it can be done.

This next statement is not a put down. You don't even know what your car runs and telling us how you have done it. Again, 8 and 7 secs for a driver is fast. Not for a race car but for a driver. Your horsepower will probably be low 10's. That is awesome if your happy with that. That is not what I wanted. I want what I have now and hope to get faster. If it blows in the process, I will throw another one in. Now they are more like a $1,000 but it's a far cry from the cost when you blow up a big block.

If your happy with yours that is all that matters. But for purposes of this discussion it is not an 8 sec driver that is reliable, and gets good mpg.s So for purposes of this discussion it isn't better than an LS platform engine.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo Album-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 8:19 PM
Team Member
Steve "Dirty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Have you put 10, 100, 1000 miles or more?
Any picture video of your car?
Over 100. I had tuning problems. Im a old bbc type of guy Lol. I wanted it right and i was trying to do it myself but it was hard for me since I really am not computer friendly. I got it to run but that was it so I had a guy remote tune it to idle in the video. I now have another guy help fine tune the car by sending him my tune. This year was tough for me to get to drive it because of work, weather and family stuff always going on. Im glad I did not rush it and I also had a sbc converter that did not work so tranny had to come back out too. Its been a tuning year and changing out all my dumb things I did to the car like the BS crappy air filter you will see in the video. 2017 im going to boost it up a notch maybe but it goes ok now with a 69mm turbo and intercooler. Might have to go meth on it on pump gas.

Alan F and Sinister like this.

68 SS427 Chevelle
5.3 LS 84mm Billet Turbo

55 Chevy Field car
"Another One Back On Jack Stands"

But you'll appreciate me soon. You're gonna be hangin' on for mercy when I get this sucker rollin'.

The internet is like the Bugs Bunny Show "AAH Could Be"
post #93 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 8:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Hey 66 BU I just noticed you are only 4 hours away from me. I am giving you a personal invite. Come down here. Bring your car this summer. We will go for a nice long ride in my car. I will even let you drive it around. Then we can take them up to the dragstrip and run them. Not against each other just run them and have some fun. I know the owners. I will see if you can ride with me for a pass. Not sure. I have full 5 point harness in passenger seat also. Then you can post on here if any of what I say is a bunch of BS. I think you will be more impressed then you think. If not I will post that I stand corrected. I will invite a bunch of my buddies both big blocks and LS's and well have a barbecue. Bring the wife and kids if you have any. They can hang out with us. I have 7 kids, 5 of who still live at home. My kids go with me to the track. Not all 5 always want to go. lol

I'll have a couple cars I tune come up. They run in the 5.20-5.90 range but they are on a mustang platform so much lighter and better suspension. lol A little easier to make fast.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #94 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 8:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modchevelle View Post
Over 100. I had tuning problems. Im a old bbc type of guy Lol. I wanted it right and i was trying to do it myself but it was hard for me since I really am not computer friendly. I got it to run but that was it so I had a guy remote tune it to idle in the video. I now have another guy help fine tune the car by sending him my tune. This year was tough for me to get to drive it because of work, weather and family stuff always going on. Im glad I did not rush it and I also had a sbc converter that did not work so tranny had to come back out too. Its been a tuning year and changing out all my dumb things I did to the car like the BS crappy air filter you will see in the video. 2017 im going to boost it up a notch maybe but it goes ok now with a 69mm turbo and intercooler. Might have to go meth on it on pump gas.

2Stroke Gt45 Tune Walk Around - YouTube
Steve you really did a good job with that. I know that it doesn't rumble like a big block but again it's a preference. I prefer the subtle sound like it has a little 307 in it. Keeps the neighbors happy. However, when you romp it it has a very distinquishable sound. I love it man. I have full 3" exhaust with bullet mufflers. You would never guess it could run 7's let alone 5's.

Your car looks awesome! I can tell you have put a lot of time and attention into it.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #95 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 8:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage

It's the plumbing that puzzles me...you guys have to fabricate/weld your own systems or are there bolt-on kits? Any sites you can suggest where one might learn more about these?

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #96 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 8:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Let's clarify this. Mark sought out me. I did not look him up and had never heard of him. I had posted I wanted a big block that could run on E85 and daily drive that was fast. Just like most the people on here are attempting to do. He did not set it up for E85 and it was not reliable enough for daily driving. So don't act like I asked for a race engine that could be daily driven. Mark said he could do it. He contacted me first. Also, for the record. I never asked for a penny from Mark after it happened. I ate the $8k. You all get mad and try to put on a spin on something when I am stating the facts.

I'm not sure if your trying to put this on me or not. Again, my mistake for believing for a 3rd time someone can build a daily driver big block that's fast that runs on E85. Again, no one has posted an 8 sec daily driver big block. So maybe, just maybe it's not possible unless you want to spend an absolute fortune. I am trying to tell people if they want their cake and want to eat it too they can but as far as I know, until someone else shows me differently an LS boosted or on nitrous is about the only way I have seen done.

Prove me wrong for the budget we mentioned.
I never contacted you ever about building your engine, infact after you contacted me to rebuild your engine with spun bearings including oil that was burnt beyond recognition I did some research on you via the forum and realized what a horrible mistake I made agreeing to build you a engine. The first problem you had was you torched the cylinder head, which I fixed free of charge, pictures coming, after the cylinder head torch you ran the car every day with E85 in the crank case after months of this abuse you spun several bearing at the track after the car slowed down. My turbo stuff would rape your car, and bad.
b&b's69 likes this.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft
post #97 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO View Post
I never contacted you ever about building your engine, infact after you contacted me to rebuild your engine with spun bearings including oil that was burnt beyond recognition I did some research on you via the forum and realized what a horrible mistake I made agreeing to build you a engine. The first problem you had was you torched the cylinder head, which I fixed free of charge, pictures coming, after the cylinder head torch you ran the car every day with E85 in the crank case after months of this abuse you spun several bearing at the track after the car slowed down. My turbo stuff would rape your car, and bad.
That's a flat lie Mark. You contacted me. Just like you contact everyone on here. Just like how you pm everyone on here to make your case for them to post on here. The reason the engine blew in hind sight is the block. In all the builds we used the same block. I asked you not to use my block but to use one of yours. You assured me mine was fine. Then you complained because you had to heli coil the entire block. Money I spent that wasn't necessary had you used a different block. When the head blew we put all new oil and oil filter in it. I change my oil once a month. It's too cheap not too. Say what you want but if the moderators can go back thru files I welcome them to be honest and pull up pm's and see who contacted who.

I'm not sure what "turbo stuff" you are talking about. I would hope with you being a world famous engine builder that if you turbo'd something it would be fast. Can it drive further than around the block? Does it get decent gas mileage? I will give you credit. The first engine you did for Bob West you nailed it. What happened on the rebuild? He paid a bunch of money and it didn't perform. Who did you blame? You blamed Bob West. Guess what he isn't on the forum anymore partly because of you. I'll even do one better. You did an awesome job on Garrett Albrights engine. It has lasted and is fast and if it's not 8's it's close. Not sure if it could be a daily driver. I do know he drives it. Not sure what the mileage is either. He is happy with it and that's great. You screwed mine up plain and simple. You promised something you couldn't deliver.

Let's see this "turbo stuff" your talking about. I am hoping to get mine in the 5.20's this year seeing how I upgraded all my suspension. I might be crazy and get no where close but I enjoy trying to see how far I can push it and still drive it every day.

I am posting a picture of mine so you have a template to follow and some ideas of how to make a 8 sec daily seeing how your incapable of such a quest so far.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #98 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
That's a flat lie Mark. You contacted me. Just like you contact everyone on here. Just like how you pm everyone on here to make your case for them to post on here. The reason the engine blew in hind sight is the block. In all the builds we used the same block. I asked you not to use my block but to use one of yours. You assured me mine was fine. Then you complained because you had to heli coil the entire block. Money I spent that wasn't necessary had you used a different block. When the head blew we put all new oil and oil filter in it. I change my oil once a month. It's too cheap not too. Say what you want but if the moderators can go back thru files I welcome them to be honest and pull up pm's and see who contacted who.

I'm not sure what "turbo stuff" you are talking about. I would hope with you being a world famous engine builder that if you turbo'd something it would be fast. Can it drive further than around the block? Does it get decent gas mileage? I will give you credit. The first engine you did for Bob West you nailed it. What happened on the rebuild? He paid a bunch of money and it didn't perform. Who did you blame? You blamed Bob West. Guess what he isn't on the forum anymore partly because of you. I'll even do one better. You did an awesome job on Garrett Albrights engine. It has lasted and is fast and if it's not 8's it's close. Not sure if it could be a daily driver. I do know he drives it. Not sure what the mileage is either. He is happy with it and that's great. You screwed mine up plain and simple. You promised something you couldn't deliver.

Let's see this "turbo stuff" your talking about. I am hoping to get mine in the 5.20's this year seeing how I upgraded all my suspension. I might be crazy and get no where close but I enjoy trying to see how far I can push it and still drive it every day.

I am posting a picture of mine so you have a template to follow and some ideas of how to make a 8 sec daily seeing how your incapable of such a quest so far.

Sinister
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: "Black Death" Count-down to take off!
Okay. Got the heads off. Drivers side looks fine and the block is smooth as a baby's butt. The passenger side had a "torched" gasket obvisouly from detonation. Everything else looks good. No signs of detonation on the pistons, thank goodness.

Sorry no pictures....I'm just trying to get my engine back together. Can't do anything else until my carb gets here anyways. Once the carb gets here my buddy Skip is going to come over and help me set the valve lash. With these Brodix stud girdles I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.

BTW. If I haven't said so...Thanks Mark for helping me to get this thing going for my showdown with Garret and Bob W.

Also thanks for the advice on the front end everyone. I will try and work on it this week.

You understated your destructive ways above, you forgot to mention you torched the center completely out of the head, which I welded up for you and remachined for free. Fortunately for you I can't find the picture of the head. But I do have the picture of your piston which tells the story. I never contacted you ever, your delusional. If there anyone on this forum I've ever contacted about building a engine, please speak up. As far as Bob goes I remember his pump gas Chevelle running 9s.

"Say what you want but if the moderators can go back thru files I welcome them to be honest and pull up pm's and see who contacted who."

I would only hope the moderators will look into this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3454.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	412577  

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft
post #99 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:29 PM
Team Member
Steve "Dirty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
It's the plumbing that puzzles me...you guys have to fabricate/weld your own systems or are there bolt-on kits? Any sites you can suggest where one might learn more about these?
Its a basic Silverado engine right down to the factory upper and lower rad hoses. Change the head gaskets to MLS and put Chinese head studs in it and I put a Z06 corvette cam for the turbo to be happy. My engine has over 130k and runs smooth on 80lb injectors while running at 58 lbs of fuel pressure on a stock fuel rails and regulator they equals to a 96 lb injectors. Flip the truck manifolds from L to R so they point forward with welded V band clamps. The rest of the exhaust is fabrication.

68 SS427 Chevelle
5.3 LS 84mm Billet Turbo

55 Chevy Field car

But you'll appreciate me soon. You're gonna be hangin' on for mercy when I get this sucker rollin'.

post #100 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:45 PM
Team Member
Steve "Dirty"

Quote:
Steve you really did a good job with that. I know that it doesn't rumble like a big block but again it's a preference. I prefer the subtle sound like it has a little 307 in it. Keeps the neighbors happy. However, when you romp it it has a very distinquishable sound. I love it man. I have full 3" exhaust with bullet mufflers. You would never guess it could run 7's let alone 5's.

Your car looks awesome! I can tell you have put a lot of time and attention into it.
Thanks Delbert. You helped me from when I was trying to piece a 496 together and I went LS. Granted I wanted to pull the engine back out many of times but it was all worth it in the long run. With it sitting for some time I can reach thru the window and turn the key on,prime fuel for 5 seconds and fire it right up like your daddies Silverado. Not pumping the gas anymore for it to run when its cold. do miss the cam rumble of the BBC motors I had in the past but then again I can put a Lil John stage 2 cam in it too..Lol. I have single 4" exhaust from turbo to rear end with a splitflow race muffler.

68 SS427 Chevelle
5.3 LS 84mm Billet Turbo

55 Chevy Field car

post #101 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO View Post
Sinister
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: "Black Death" Count-down to take off!
Okay. Got the heads off. Drivers side looks fine and the block is smooth as a baby's butt. The passenger side had a "torched" gasket obvisouly from detonation. Everything else looks good. No signs of detonation on the pistons, thank goodness.

Sorry no pictures....I'm just trying to get my engine back together. Can't do anything else until my carb gets here anyways. Once the carb gets here my buddy Skip is going to come over and help me set the valve lash. With these Brodix stud girdles I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.

BTW. If I haven't said so...Thanks Mark for helping me to get this thing going for my showdown with Garret and Bob W.

Also thanks for the advice on the front end everyone. I will try and work on it this week.

You understated your destructive ways above, you forgot to mention you torched the center completely out of the head, which I welded up for you and remachined for free. Fortunately for you I can't find the picture of the head. But I do have the picture of your piston which tells the story. I never contacted you ever, your delusional. If there anyone on this forum I've ever contacted about building a engine, please speak up. As far as Bob goes I remember his pump gas Chevelle running 9s.

"Say what you want but if the moderators can go back thru files I welcome them to be honest and pull up pm's and see who contacted who."

I would only hope the moderators will look into this.
Ha ha. Yeah Mark you posted a pm that I just started off with I torched a head. Obviously there were pm's before this one. Where is the " Hey Mark this is Sinister, I have never met you, blah, blah, blah. What's funny is even here your blaming me for the head being torched. Like I said, we should have never used the block. I asked you not to use the block. Do you deny that you quoted me $4k and the bill ended up $8k total. Or are you going to post a pm that only shows part of the story. Do you deny me asking you NOT TO USE MY BLOCK? Are you going to deny that I said I wanted a street car, daily driver, that I could run on E85 that was fast? Remember I had a carb from a top E85 carb guy (Eric) and you said the carb was junk and couldn't be used. It was brand new and tuned for E85. Sure I made the mistake of listening to you. You were supposed to be the expert. But guess what. I drive my car just as hard now as I did with the big block and it has held together, is faster, and gets better gas mileage. What do you say to that?

Let's see this daily driver Turbo Stuff you have that will rape what I have. Is this your car? Or someone else's car. Because I have cars that I have helped build turbo's for and tune them that should be in the 4's this year but are'n't really daily drivers. Just licensed and tagged. You know enough to claim they are "street cars."

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #102 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by modchevelle View Post
Its a basic Silverado engine right down to the factory upper and lower rad hoses. Change the head gaskets to MLS and put Chinese head studs in it and I put a Z06 corvette cam for the turbo to be happy. My engine has over 130k and runs smooth on 80lb injectors while running at 58 lbs of fuel pressure on a stock fuel rails and regulator they equals to a 96 lb injectors. Flip the truck manifolds from L to R so they point forward with welded V band clamps. The rest of the exhaust is fabrication.
So it sounds like my 2004 Silverado 5.3 @ 108K would be a good candidate. I'm not looking for anything too wild as it would be something for the '67 El Camino which could be driven to the track, raced and then return home.
Sinister and rel3rd like this.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #103 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:54 PM
Team Member
Steve "Dirty"

Quote:
So it sounds like my 2004 Silverado 5.3 @ 108K would be a good candidate. I'm not looking for anything too wild as it would be something for the '67 El Camino which could be driven to the track, raced and then return home.
You engine if taken care of could go as high as 300k for milage. I have a $200 ebay turbo shipped that works so Turbo it and amaze your friends Lol
HandOverFist likes this.

68 SS427 Chevelle
5.3 LS 84mm Billet Turbo

55 Chevy Field car

post #104 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
In my opinion any engine over 100,000 miles you are probably going to be okay on the rings being opened up a little. I would do nothing more than pull the heads, slap in new lifters, new LS9 head gaskets, and some KMJ head studs. A Z06 cam can be found cheap used. Turbo's like small duration cams. Makes spooling much easier. Helps with mpgs. etc... I would not touch the block. I would leave as is as long as you know the engine was running and has good oil pressure which it looks like you know this since it's out of your truck. lol
HandOverFist likes this.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #105 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Sorry Steve, I didn't mean to jump on your post.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1246 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.