Performance Our High Performance area

168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 9:45 PM
Team Member
Wes

Garage
Re: Big Block vs LS

I'm not above using a LS type engine but a BBC makes power so easy......without boost, that's its a pretty easy decision. 540 all the way!!

1967 Chevelle SS (Work in progress)
1971 Nova SS

Keep on keeping on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 9:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I think both LS and BBCs are cool. I'll even admit, I like all kinds of cars, Fords and Mopars too (I guess I'll be banned now lol. ). So, I'm not getting in the middle of this one - but it's interesting to read about em all.

One thing I'm seeing here though is that both 1/8 and 1/4 miles times posted and attempted to be compared - which is difficult at best, and confusing to boot.

I'd love to see these apples to apples - 1/8 or 1/4 times posted and compared, instead of trying to map one to another.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #78 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 9:56 PM
Team Member
George

Im surprised people still bother with big blocks myself. The magic of the junkyard LS swap is that they take boost so well with doing nothing to them and they are so cheap. I see them all the time for under $500.00. Tempting to get a G body and run one....
Sinister and bradley67 like this.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73

post #79 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 10:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Sinister paid for a race gas dependent solid roller'd BBC and expected to cruise it around like a daily driver. Its no wonder it didn't work out...
Thor454 likes this.

1970 Chevelle SS 396 (491 now) 4spd
1969 Nova 496 Turbo 400 Dana 60
post #80 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 11:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I really don’t get all the hate directed at the LS. It makes zero sense to me. Everything evolves. Things get better, stronger, more durable, reliable. No different with the power trains in these cars. They have evolved with the times into something much more than the gen 1 stuff could ever hope to achieve. Kind of makes me wonder if the flathead guys got on the flathead forums back in the 60s and made fun of the gen 1 guys. That stuff will never be as cool as a FLATHEAD! We make better stuff, sounds cooler and LOOKS a whole lot better than an ugly small block chevy! LOL

But seriously. If you gen 1 guys were true to the purist form you claim to follow, then it would all be ¾ race cam stuff and what factory intake looks the best. No. The platform has evolved. Makes more power than it ever would have in the 60s. The recipe has changed to make that power possible. Multi pattern cams, the big DR-17 heads, better ways of delivering fuel and air. Evolution has occurred no matter how much you hate it. That’s what the LS is. It’s the next step in making better, bigger, more dependable power. Now we can control all that analog garbage with a computer and assist the transmission to deliver that power. We can build an engine that can spit out a 1000rwhp tune on a street car and dial it back a little and cruise with 800hp all the way across the country and back if we want. We get the benefits of a better transmission that delivers a benefit that is unheard of in the three speed world – fuel economy! We’ve evolved in a way that would make the guys in the 40s, 50s and 60s proud! Hell, our PRODUCTION cars make more than anything made in the 60s and it still delivers the groceries when needed. How freakin cool is THAT?

Whats worse in all of this for some of you….the LS has hit its sunset. The new direct port LT-1 is here and its even BETTER than the LS. God only knows what that beast will prove to be capable of by the time its phased out. We live in great times! Enjoy the heck out of the ride and be happy you were able to take part in the evolution of power into what it is today.

Or sit on the side lines and kick rocks and attempt to belittle something you know nothing about. Up to you. I’m here to have a TON of FUN and see what we can come up with NEXT!

TC Member #96
19 Year Team Chevelle Member
1967 El Camino Build blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq

2009 Supercharged Silverado -

1967 LSx El Camino build videos on
- ***NEW VIDEO UP 1/27***
"Hey Butthead, does this Pantera guy ever relax?" - Beavis
post #81 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 11:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Those $110,000. Ls Copos are bad ass.
BTW, a real LS is a Big Block. Lmao
MarkP, dtrubey and bradley67 like this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #82 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 1:30 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by modchevelle View Post
Not sure of miles but I never raced the car yet at the strip. From driving bbc's all my life I would say this car has more power than my 468 that I had in my old chevelle with NOS. This is not my first car by far
Have you put 10, 100, 1000 miles or more?
Any picture video of your car?

Last edited by impala; Jan 7th, 17 at 12:45 PM.
post #83 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 3:22 AM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcameron View Post
I looked at efi kits awhile back but I haven't seen any ( or haven't looked for any) that support over 600hp.
FAST EFI has two systems, XFI 2.0 MultiPort or Sportsman XFI 2.0, and both supports up to 1,000 HP... Electronic Fuel Injection Leader - FAST® - Fuel Air Spark Technology Fuelairspark.com

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #84 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 12:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I love good debates where everyone can learn from each other. Like I said in my first post, as long as we are keeping these Chevelles on the road and using them, who cares what that person's preference was for the engine.

If someone is posting there life lessons, why not try to gain some knowledge from that.

My father bought a new 64 Galaxie 500 XL convertible 427 single 4 barrel car when he was younger. Guess I couldn't learn anything from him since he was a "ford" guy.

Everyone is okay with upgrading the suspensions and boxing the frames of these cars to make them more modern, and you can put in a brand new BBC, but you aren't allowed to think about LS motors?

Fast is cool. Fast and reliable is cooler. Fast, reliable and getting some fuel eco as a side benefit is still cooler.
Sinister and lucifershammer like this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #85 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 3:24 PM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Everyone is okay with upgrading the suspensions and boxing the frames of these cars to make them more modern, and you can put in a brand new BBC, but you aren't allowed to think about LS motors?

Fast is cool. Fast and reliable is cooler. Fast, reliable and getting some fuel eco as a side benefit is still cooler.
I think it's the other way around, the LS crowd seem to think that if I drive my big block further than to a parade or a car show it will likely leave me stranded... Seriously? Oh wait, that's wrong, it's just that if it's capable of being fast it can't be reliable like a 180,000 mile junk yard motor. Who knows, maybe they are right...

Personally, I have no problem with the LS motor, other than I don't find them particularly pleasing to look at. I mean heck, if the factories solution to dolling one up is to cover it up with a big old piece of plastic... Well, it leaves a little to be desired, at least to me it does. But lord knows that can be quick... and reliable... and get good gas mileage... and evidently damn near free to own...

But me, I prefer my big block and I plan on it being quick... reliable... and get good (decent?) gas mileage... To me I've combined the best of both worlds, I have a big cube, big block with multi port EFI... it slipped right in the engine compartment of my '66, no fab no mods, nothing, slipped right in... I can select up to 4 preprogrammed 'tunes' from the comfort of the driver's seat just by turning a knob on the console... I can select 'economy' on the way to the track and when I get there just flip it on over to 'performance'... it also controls my electric fans, fuel pump, trans cooler, converter, data logs, traction control, and about 80 other things that I may or may not be smart enough to figure out... And it ought to be pretty quick, she dyno'ed at 700 hp and 680 ft lb torque... I even opted for the 4L80E 4 speed overdrive transmission to put behind her, so as I stated earlier, at 65 I'll be rolling along at less than 2K rpms.... I'm hoping for high teens in gas mileage, but we'll have to see... And though I am building her as a driver, she won't be my daily driver, a) she's way too pretty to drive in in-climate weather, and b) I have a bunch of other vehicles that need some love too, and three of them have an LS in them... But I will drive her several thousand miles a year, I'll be taking her on vacations/road trips, and beat on her like she was built to do... only time will tell...
Dan65ss, rel3rd, b&b's69 and 1 others like this.

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #86 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 4:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Bu View Post
I think it's the other way around, the LS crowd seem to think that if I drive my big block further than to a parade or a car show it will likely leave me stranded... Seriously? Oh wait, that's wrong, it's just that if it's capable of being fast it can't be reliable like a 180,000 mile junk yard motor. Who knows, maybe they are right...

Personally, I have no problem with the LS motor, other than I don't find them particularly pleasing to look at. I mean heck, if the factories solution to dolling one up is to cover it up with a big old piece of plastic... Well, it leaves a little to be desired, at least to me it does. But lord knows that can be quick... and reliable... and get good gas mileage... and evidently damn near free to own...

But me, I prefer my big block and I plan on it being quick... reliable... and get good (decent?) gas mileage... To me I've combined the best of both worlds, I have a big cube, big block with multi port EFI... it slipped right in the engine compartment of my '66, no fab no mods, nothing, slipped right in... I can select up to 4 preprogrammed 'tunes' from the comfort of the driver's seat just by turning a knob on the console... I can select 'economy' on the way to the track and when I get there just flip it on over to 'performance'... it also controls my electric fans, fuel pump, trans cooler, converter, data logs, traction control, and about 80 other things that I may or may not be smart enough to figure out... And it ought to be pretty quick, she dyno'ed at 700 hp and 680 ft lb torque... I even opted for the 4L80E 4 speed overdrive transmission to put behind her, so as I stated earlier, at 65 I'll be rolling along at less than 2K rpms.... I'm hoping for high teens in gas mileage, but we'll have to see... And though I am building her as a driver, she won't be my daily driver, a) she's way too pretty to drive in in-climate weather, and b) I have a bunch of other vehicles that need some love too, and three of them have an LS in them... But I will drive her several thousand miles a year, I'll be taking her on vacations/road trips, and beat on her like she was built to do... only time will tell...
Sounds like an awesome set up! Should be a lot of fun. Love how you have mixed in the old with the new on that thing.

Build thread-

Album -
post #87 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 7:20 PM
Team Member
Marc

Garage

Sounds a lot like my 8.1. 503 cube BBC with the Gm LS computer to control everything. I love the dependable LS and am so glad they made it in a big block version. But we need to always remember that before the LS the BBC and SBC were the daily drivers of there time and were just as dependable.
Road Roamer likes this.

1970 Chevelle SS 8.1 vortec TKO 600 12 bolt 3.08
2006 2500HD 8.1 vortec Allison 4.10 4X4

My personal website

The 8.1 performance parts store!!

post #88 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 7:42 PM
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage

I see technology gaining strides in power and usability, but I'm certainly not trying to keep up with it. If we all switch to an LS now are we going to have to switch again in 5-10 years to electric power? Those Teslas are frickin fast!!!

Has anyone seen an old hotrod with an early 90's vette engine in it. A good idea at the time that is now obsolete...

I'm not going to lie, I considered an LS swap at one time, but I just couldn't do that to my 49 year old car. I enjoy an uncivilized, vibrating dinosaur that gets horrible mileage and needs a few pumps of the gas pedal to start when cold. These old cars are like a time machine for me and that's how I like them.

I hope I'm not offending anyone. I think everyone should do whatever they want with their cars. I'm only sharing my point of view. Peace!
blue_69_malibu and b&b's69 like this.

post #89 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 7:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Look man...you're running fast....but why not try to be more....friendly?

Passion is good.....but no need to disparage those who are different than you.

And I'm a SBC guy who will never put a cage in his car.

Peace.
Trying to.
haughty and b&b's69 like this.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #90 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 8:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496blaze View Post
Sinister paid for a race gas dependent solid roller'd BBC and expected to cruise it around like a daily driver. Its no wonder it didn't work out...
Let's clarify this. Mark sought out me. I did not look him up and had never heard of him. I had posted I wanted a big block that could run on E85 and daily drive that was fast. Just like most the people on here are attempting to do. He did not set it up for E85 and it was not reliable enough for daily driving. So don't act like I asked for a race engine that could be daily driven. Mark said he could do it. He contacted me first. Also, for the record. I never asked for a penny from Mark after it happened. I ate the $8k. You all get mad and try to put on a spin on something when I am stating the facts.

I'm not sure if your trying to put this on me or not. Again, my mistake for believing for a 3rd time someone can build a daily driver big block that's fast that runs on E85. Again, no one has posted an 8 sec daily driver big block. So maybe, just maybe it's not possible unless you want to spend an absolute fortune. I am trying to tell people if they want their cake and want to eat it too they can but as far as I know, until someone else shows me differently an LS boosted or on nitrous is about the only way I have seen done.

Prove me wrong for the budget we mentioned.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 955 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.