168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Test and Tuner

Re: Big Block vs LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
It is a dig at Mark, Vortec Pro, and it's a post in very poor taste.
Naw. Couldn't possibly be a dig at MJ. He specifically referenced " an engine builder to build a high dollar engine". We all know that Mark's stuff is just high quality and far from high dollar.

'69 Chevelle 11 to 1 496 BBC Straub Technologies solid roller. 710HP
Best 60' so far....1.34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Sharp Turbo 400
Motivational Engineering 3.73 12 bolt rear.
Chris Alston's complete "Auto - Cross" coil-over suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 12:01 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by modchevelle View Post
I was a bbc fan true and true but the LS is a engine that will out perform a bbc in my ways. Gas mileage ,dependability and power dollar for dollar. I have basically stock 5.3 except Z06 cam and 80 lb injectors with a $200 Ebay 68mm turbo that will walk by most bbc's. The only thing I have to say is the price of the computer was the highest cost of $1600 but to have 3-4k into it total. Hit the key and drive anywhere like a normal car is far cry from any bbc I ever owned since I was a kid. If I put a bigger turbo and tuned it, the car would run in the 9's no problem. You cant do that for another 1k for a upgrade turbo with a bbc and still drive it around like it was your daddy's stock Silverado.
Just out of curiosity how many miles have you pur with current combo to verify gas mileage and durability? and how many BB's have you wqlked by?
post #63 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 12:10 PM
Team Member
Steve "Dirty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Just out of curiosity how many miles have you pur with current combo to verify gas mileage and durability? and how many BB's have you wqlked by?
Not sure of miles but I never raced the car yet at the strip. From driving bbc's all my life I would say this car has more power than my 468 that I had in my old chevelle with NOS. This is not my first car by far

68 SS427 Chevelle
5.3 LS 84mm Billet Turbo

55 Chevy Field car
"Another One Back On Jack Stands"

But you'll appreciate me soon. You're gonna be hangin' on for mercy when I get this sucker rollin'.

The internet is like the Bugs Bunny Show "AAH Could Be"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 12:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Sure it can if you just drive it from time to time. But if you are truly driving your car on a daily basis. Meaning most days rain or shine. Some days might be local but in real life sometimes you have a 2-3 hour drive. If you still take your chevelle on those trips, then no. It can't be fast and reliable. I have yet to see anyone who drives several thousand miles a year with a big block and runs 8's or 7's. 9's yes. But like I said 9's used to be fast but even mine in the 8's is just average.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #65 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 12:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
It is a dig at Mark, Vortec Pro, and it's a post in very poor taste.
No it's not. Like I said facts. I purchased a Vortex Pro engine for $8k and it lasted 6 months. It ran 6.30's and could be driven locally but could not run for 2 hour drives. You guys are constantly praising the big block builders when you have owned the engine for a couple months. Yet when one doesn't perform then we are slamming. Why is it if my engine under performs and I post those facts then I am slamming?

I'm not mis leading anyone. Yet sponsors support sponsors on the site and only post the good. I am posting the negative as well. Here is a positive on Marks engine. There are several people who have had success. However, like I said I don't think any of them run in the 8's and drive them more than 3,000 miles a year. If I am wrong post them up. Not 9's and 10's and would have, could have's but actual 8 sec rides that are driven more than around the block. Post them. I'll wait.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #66 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Just curious of the cost for the entire set-up with twin turbos...I do like it, but not certain what is involved with something like that.
It depends what route you want to go. I went the junk yard route because of the learning curve. I blew up a couple engines learning to tune but again they were $500 each. Here is what I do to the engine if I am going to boost it. I make sure the engine has more than a 100,000 miles on it so I don't need to open up the ring gap. My current engine had a 180,000 miles on it. I leave the heads completely alone but do replace with new stock lifters and LS9 head gaskets. I also run chinese head studs. If your car isn't lowered you can run the GM performance parts (hummer) pan. It's cheap. That is how I started. You can modify your stock wiring harness and run HP tuners and have it tuned. We ran 5.99's with that set up and chinese turbo's.

Since we started I have upgraded to the Holley EFI HP, put on a Holley pan, replaced the intake, and went to a better convertor, PTC. I have also added a boost leash and upgraded the suspension. That's about another $4,000 in cost but I plan to run in the 5.40's this year after all those changes and low 8's and still daily drive. Without all that we ran 5.99's for a total of around $3500. I used the same fuel pump, lines, fittings, etc. that I already had on my big block. I also used the same transmission by modifying the holes on the stock flywheel. To this day that flywheel has held up. I run the stock coil packs, water pump, etc.. from the donor engine. The turbo's are On3 performance 61s. I have zero issues with them and they are $340 shipped to my door. I purchased used wastage's and blow off valve. They have still lasted and are currently on my engine.

This is just off the top of my head but hope this helps. Now all the haters will get on here and talk about the extra $4,000 I just spent. What's funny is most big block people spend thousands trying new heads, intakes, carbs, etc... Yet we are supposed to forget how much they spend trying to make their cars faster. For $3500 I ran in the 5's. For an additional $4k I am hoping to run some 5.40's.
bradley67 likes this.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #67 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 1:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage
Question Re: Big Block vs LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
It depends what route you want to go. I went the junk yard route because of the learning curve. I blew up a couple engines learning to tune but again they were $500 each. Here is what I do to the engine if I am going to boost it. I make sure the engine has more than a 100,000 miles on it so I don't need to open up the ring gap. My current engine had a 180,000 miles on it. I leave the heads completely alone but do replace with new stock lifters and LS9 head gaskets. I also run chinese head studs. If your car isn't lowered you can run the GM performance parts (hummer) pan. It's cheap. That is how I started. You can modify your stock wiring harness and run HP tuners and have it tuned. We ran 5.99's with that set up and chinese turbo's.

Since we started I have upgraded to the Holley EFI HP, put on a Holley pan, replaced the intake, and went to a better convertor, PTC. I have also added a boost leash and upgraded the suspension. That's about another $4,000 in cost but I plan to run in the 5.40's this year after all those changes and low 8's and still daily drive. Without all that we ran 5.99's for a total of around $3500. I used the same fuel pump, lines, fittings, etc. that I already had on my big block. I also used the same transmission by modifying the holes on the stock flywheel. To this day that flywheel has held up. I run the stock coil packs, water pump, etc.. from the donor engine. The turbo's are On3 performance 61s. I have zero issues with them and they are $340 shipped to my door. I purchased used wastage's and blow off valve. They have still lasted and are currently on my engine.

This is just off the top of my head but hope this helps. Now all the haters will get on here and talk about the extra $4,000 I just spent. What's funny is most big block people spend thousands trying new heads, intakes, carbs, etc... Yet we are supposed to forget how much they spend trying to make their cars faster. For $3500 I ran in the 5's. For an additional $4k I am hoping to run some 5.40's.
The Holley EFI is a plug n play too, isn't it?

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
6.0, 4L80e, 3.73's = [email protected], 1.49
post #68 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 2:57 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Thanks Sinister for answering my question. I'm not aware nor do I care about any personal vendettas...only looking for information.

Common sense tells me that the already fuel injected engine is right from the beginning a leg up on any that you might build then add a fuel injection system to. The post above where one said mpg doesnt factor into our hobby is backwards thinking at best...the total package does make a difference to many of us. I won't argue the numbers between a BBC vs a LS based engine simply because I don't have experience with them. I can however comment on conventional SB's vs LS engines as I have owned/built many...the LS platform is so far ahead in so many areas it's not even a race.

The reason for my question was I have a 2004 Silverado 5.3 w/108K miles which I purchased new...thinking I might drop that engine into the El Camino at some point when I return it to street duty. Kind of intrigued with a turbo set-up as I once owned a turbo equipped Harley...loved the power on boost and the civility when driving casual. It just makes sense for me to consider this route instead of building something new which I know in the end will cost me three times as much in all areas with no guarantee of the final results.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #69 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 3:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brandon

I know that my carbed 675HP/645TQ 496ci stroker gets ALLOT of seat time daily driving when the weather is nice....even more so since I put the complete UMI package on and she drives like a new corvette. On a good weekend Ill do a 200+ mile round trip with my 3.73 gears and TH400 cruising at 3500RPM and she wont miss a beat....along with that its a 10 second car...maybe high Nines with the ET Streets if I 60ft. I even get 10-12mpg if I dont get on her I dont do much track stuff, mostly street racing and 50mph rolls on the back roads. Once I put on Vintage air later this year Ill drive her even more....I prefer a BBC...I have my own LS build going together now with nothing to put it in that will be a turbo build....mainly just for fun and dyno numbers. I keep thinking swap, but I just cant bring myself to do it

Build what you want....just know a BBC can be done reliably with big power and efficient when the COMBO IS MATCHED. My 2 cents.

I do have a FITECH EFI here waiting for me to toss on as well....that will be interesting to see how she performers all around vs my Prosystem 953cfm setup.
post #70 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 3:20 PM

Quote:
No it's not. Like I said facts. I purchased a Vortex Pro engine for $8k and it lasted 6 months. It ran 6.30's and could be driven locally but could not run for 2 hour drives. You guys are constantly praising the big block builders when you have owned the engine for a couple months. Yet when one doesn't perform then we are slamming. Why is it if my engine under performs and I post those facts then I am slamming?

I'm not mis leading anyone. Yet sponsors support sponsors on the site and only post the good. I am posting the negative as well. Here is a positive on Marks engine. There are several people who have had success. However, like I said I don't think any of them run in the 8's and drive them more than 3,000 miles a year. If I am wrong post them up. Not 9's and 10's and would have, could have's but actual 8 sec rides that are driven more than around the block. Post them. I'll wait.
Every story has 2 sides to it and in the middle is the truth.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #71 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 6:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sure it can if you just drive it from time to time. But if you are truly driving your car on a daily basis. Meaning most days rain or shine. Some days might be local but in real life sometimes you have a 2-3 hour drive. If you still take your chevelle on those trips, then no. It can't be fast and reliable. I have yet to see anyone who drives several thousand miles a year with a big block and runs 8's or 7's. 9's yes. But like I said 9's used to be fast but even mine in the 8's is just average.
yeah I definitely plan to drive the car not as a daily or anything though.
post #72 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 6:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
I know that my carbed 675HP/645TQ 496ci stroker gets ALLOT of seat time daily driving when the weather is nice....even more so since I put the complete UMI package on and she drives like a new corvette. On a good weekend Ill do a 200+ mile round trip with my 3.73 gears and TH400 cruising at 3500RPM and she wont miss a beat....along with that its a 10 second car...maybe high Nines with the ET Streets if I 60ft. I even get 10-12mpg if I dont get on her I dont do much track stuff, mostly street racing and 50mph rolls on the back roads. Once I put on Vintage air later this year Ill drive her even more....I prefer a BBC...I have my own LS build going together now with nothing to put it in that will be a turbo build....mainly just for fun and dyno numbers. I keep thinking swap, but I just cant bring myself to do it

Build what you want....just know a BBC can be done reliably with big power and efficient when the COMBO IS MATCHED. My 2 cents.

I do have a FITECH EFI here waiting for me to toss on as well....that will be interesting to see how she performers all around vs my Prosystem 953cfm setup.
Man that's awesome. I plan to drive the chevelle like that when the Texas weather is right.
post #73 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 7:41 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Every story has 2 sides to it and in the middle is the truth.
The guy, who I do NOT know, has admittedly blown one of Mark's motors AND two LS motors, the latter being completely of his own accord.

That's called....a pattern.
Thor454 likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #74 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 8:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Your right it is a pattern. It's called learning to do it myself. Like I said. I run 5.60's, my engine last 2 years and counting and I get 20 mpgs. I'm a nobody and accomplished that in a NON race car. So if mine is a pattern and an engine builder has had several customers engine blow up and not last. What do you call that? Just like your doing with me your coming to his defense. You all wonder why you are losing members. Like I said my car is average and yet your 9 and 10'sec cars with $10k motors you all talk as though they are the baddest thing ever. They are cool and I love them! That's why I tried so hard to make them work. Not a single person has posted an 8 sec big block that is daily driven. Yet you try and slam me. Calculated Risk has a bad ass ride faster than mine and has done drag week. His is conventional small block I believe but not built by Mark. He has helped me tremendously. Jarrett. Stock 48 is running 7's in a drag week car with tall gears and good rods and pistons. He has helped me a ton. Think how much you could do with your car and get with the times and ask questions and help instead of slamming. If you like a "BBC". By all means go for it. But stop posting how fast, reliable, and economical they are. I love your argument that yours is NA and mine is boosted. Mine is 364ci and 180,000 miles and was $523 plus a $770 rebuild. You have 496,505,632 CI brag your NA
post #75 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 9:19 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Look man...you're running fast....but why not try to be more....friendly?

Passion is good.....but no need to disparage those who are different than you.

And I'm a SBC guy who will never put a cage in his car.

Peace.
Thor454 likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 982 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.