Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0928.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	411729  

1970 Chevelle SS 8.1 vortec TKO 600 12 bolt 3.08
2006 2500HD 8.1 vortec Allison 4.10 4X4

My personal website

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 8.1 performance parts store!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 8:59 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage
Re: Big Block vs LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Lew540-

If you could just do us all one more favor and swap those two motors around in your chevelle/corvette and then let us know the difference again :-)

Honestly, this is good info from someone who actually owns both. Yes there are differences in drivetrains and such. But still comparing from the same person on the topic we are discussing. Thanks for the info.
Well the Chevelle could take the LS not a problem just some mounting, headers and computer work (not sure if T400 on LS will work and Corvette trans is actually in the rear). The Corvette with a 540 well I am sure we will have some fitment issues in the front. I think I will just keep things the same the big block looks good in my 1965.
post #48 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 6:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Nova View Post
Sorry to say, dollar to dollar your better off with a BBC. Only place the LS has an advantage is weight. But recently, my fully dressed '69 ZL-1 with carb, waterpump, pulleys and distributor weighed just under 385 lbs coming off dyno, so it had oil and filter. That's LS weight for sure.

Now since you just want a reliable tire-fryer type engine, why not save the hassle and expense of the 540 and get VORTECPRO to build you this motor????? Best move one could make. Of if that's not your fancy and you want the bigger engine, NYES racing engine are also well respected in this hobby.
I think this is a little short sighted. But again, this is like a Ford vs. Chevy debate.

There is way too many variables to make the dollar for dollar comparison. If you look at what some people like Sloppy Mechanics are doing with LS motors it is insane what they will put up with and how fast they go...cheap! But is that what we all want to put in our restored Chevelles...maybe/maybe not.

BBC block cost vs. LS block?
Cost of heads comparison?
Rotating assembly cost comparison?

I have no idea about what is inside these two motors, but you can see the HP and costs are close. I am not recommending either one, just used them for comparison.

PSLS4270CTC,PSLS4270CTC - LS 427 Carbureted Retro-Fit Performance Engine 605 HP / 575

PACE Performance - GMP-1171-611 - Pace Dyno Tested Big Block Chevy ZZ502 600+ HP Deluxe Crate Engine

Build thread-

Album -

post #49 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 8:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Best of both...what year c10?
86' swb
Dan65ss likes this.
post #50 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 11:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I will take my junk yard 6.0 against any big block dollar for dollar any day. I run 8's and get 20 mpg's on E85. I'm pretty sure Vortex Pro doesn't have any engines or cars that have accomplished that. This is a $523 engine. After a year we spun a bearing and spent $770 to have a machine shop go through it. They lined bored it and we put in all new bearings. Engine has been together 2 years now and several 5 sec passes always driven to and from the track. Yes there was a learning curve. I went through two engines at $500 a piece to get where we are now. That's still a far, far cry from the cost of a vortecpro engine. Way faster, and much more reliable! This isn't slamming before the moderators chime in. These are merely the facts. If you like a big block by all means go for it. For those of us who have spent the money on an engine builder to build a high dollar engine and it not perform like it should and then spent pocket change on junk yard engines and chinese turbos and learned how to tune, and they performed above and beyond. We can give an honest opinion from experience. I love both but you will never get a big block to be fast and reliable in the sense of any street driving. Fast is relevant. To me 8's and 7's is fast. 9's used to be fast.

1969 Chevelle
5Sec LS

Cancer sucks!

Web Page :

Photo Album-

post #51 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 2:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I will take my junk yard 6.0 against any big block dollar for dollar any day. I run 8's and get 20 mpg's on E85. I'm pretty sure Vortex Pro doesn't have any engines or cars that have accomplished that. This is a $523 engine. After a year we spun a bearing and spent $770 to have a machine shop go through it. They lined bored it and we put in all new bearings. Engine has been together 2 years now and several 5 sec passes always driven to and from the track. Yes there was a learning curve. I went through two engines at $500 a piece to get where we are now. That's still a far, far cry from the cost of a vortecpro engine. Way faster, and much more reliable! This isn't slamming before the moderators chime in. These are merely the facts. If you like a big block by all means go for it. For those of us who have spent the money on an engine builder to build a high dollar engine and it not perform like it should and then spent pocket change on junk yard engines and chinese turbos and learned how to tune, and they performed above and beyond. We can give an honest opinion from experience. I love both but you will never get a big block to be fast and reliable in the sense of any street driving. Fast is relevant. To me 8's and 7's is fast. 9's used to be fast.

Not to take anything out of context but you don't think a big block could be reliable and fast?
post #52 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 3:11 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Just curious of the cost for the entire set-up with twin turbos...I do like it, but not certain what is involved with something like that.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #53 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 3:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Bu View Post
Or, have the best of both worlds....

I have a 540 BBC, aluminum heads, hydraulic roller, AND multipoint EFI that is self learning as well as tuneable via your laptop... Sounds incredible, starts first crank, and behaves however you want it to. Plus, looks impressive between the fenderwells... Added a 4l80e 4 speed overdrive tranny and when cruising 65 she will be turning less than 2000 rpm... This spring I'm taking a roadtrip, actually a father/daughter roadtrip, down Route 66 from mid Missouri to the southern edge of the Grand Canyon... can't wait! I'm sure I'll post pictures here while on the trip!

My brother tried to talk me into a LS, because of the modern electronics, but like others I feel that a Chevelle just looks a little odd without a big block in it. I would not consider a LS because owning a big block Chevelle was on my bucket list, so I compromised. I got what I wanted and added what he thought that I needed. We made the right decision...

Bottom line, you have to make the choice... go with your gut and get what you want otherwise I don't think you'll ever really be happy with it... Good Luck!
I looked at efi kits awhile back but I haven't seen any ( or haven't looked for any) that support over 600hp.
post #54 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 4:08 AM
Tech Team
Marc

Garage

The 8.1 vortec is a big block Chevy with LS tech, and the only motor to ever pass the marine dock test for reliability. Ran for 1000 hrs at full throttle with no failures. It is actually the most reliable engine ever produced and is a big block. They are used in the oil and farming industry ran 24/7/365 only shut down for oil changes. They can also be used with LP,NG,E85, and gas without changing any internals. They were 496ci and You can also build one up to 632ci. Built right it can take a blower or turbo for a super reliable 800+hp beast. They don't need much rpm with 450 fl lbs at 800rpm. I had a LS style small block in my c10 and loved it, had 406 before the LS, had a 350, 383, and a 468 in my chevelle and liked it, but I still don't think any motor I've ever had compared to my BBC 8.1 vortec's.

1970 Chevelle SS 8.1 vortec TKO 600 12 bolt 3.08
2006 2500HD 8.1 vortec Allison 4.10 4X4

My personal website

The 8.1 performance parts store!!

post #55 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 4:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:

Have you repainted it? And door handles again?
Looks very nice imho.
Sinister likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #56 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 8:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

The "Perfect" solution.......Idles like a Grandma's car......never gets hot and makes 580 hp at the rear tires

66 Chevelle SS LSA Powered
66 Impala Convert LS 2 Powered
Whizzer MotorBike
post #57 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 11:01 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Nova View Post
Sorry to tell you, but the info I got from one of the "better" LS turbo guy on YB was "dollar to dollar, you will always make more with the BBC over the LS even in turbo form, and therefore will always outrun the LS. The BBc is just a stronger heavier piece that will take more".

I was questioning him on his LOW 8 second LS with single BW 76mm turbo to see if he thought it would hold with twins for my '66 Nova? I was SURE Lil John would have said to use the LS engine, but nope, told me to stay BBc as there cheaper and will make stupid power.

But it's all relative. It seems you can find some respectable LS engine when for cheap, so good for you. To each there own. Good luck and congrads on the 8's
But...can you take that comparable BBC and drive it on the street daily with those mpg figures?

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #58 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
But...can you take that comparable BBC and drive it on the street daily with those mpg figures?
Can you take a gas engine and make 1200RWHP, 1900RWTQ, get 23 miles to gallon. Pull 20K pounds during the week. Haul the crew or the family to dinner a couple times during the week. Then on Friday night run 10's at the drag strip with 6800#'s.

The best choice of engine is what any of us go with for our project. Every engine type has its Pro's and Con's.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #59 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 12:28 PM

Quote:

It is a dig at Mark, Vortec Pro, and it's a post in very poor taste.
blue_69_malibu, b&b's69 and 66 Bu like this.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #60 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 12:30 PM
Team Member
Steve "Dirty"

I was a bbc fan true and true but the LS is a engine that will out perform a bbc in my ways. Gas mileage ,dependability and power dollar for dollar. I have basically stock 5.3 except Z06 cam and 80 lb injectors with a $200 Ebay 68mm turbo that will walk by most bbc's. The only thing I have to say is the price of the computer was the highest cost of $1600 but to have 3-4k into it total. Hit the key and drive anywhere like a normal car is far cry from any bbc I ever owned since I was a kid. If I put a bigger turbo and tuned it, the car would run in the 9's no problem. You cant do that for another 1k for a upgrade turbo with a bbc and still drive it around like it was your daddy's stock Silverado.

68 SS427 Chevelle
5.3 LS 84mm Billet Turbo

55 Chevy Field car
"Another One Back On Jack Stands"

But you'll appreciate me soon. You're gonna be hangin' on for mercy when I get this sucker rollin'.

The internet is like the Bugs Bunny Show "AAH Could Be"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1015 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.