Performance Our High Performance area

168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 1:08 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage
Re: Big Block vs LS

On my "to do" list someday for the El Camino - Build a conventional SB with a turbo installed coupled to a four-speed automatic...cruise the roads endlessly with decent mpg and plenty of go when I step on the loud pedal.
rel3rd likes this.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 1:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mac

My "built" 498, when first built was a 496, probably cost me around 8 grand for everything, my "built" 408 ls methanol race engine will end up costing around 11.5 grand by the time it's ready to turn the key, I fell for the "You can build an ls engine way cheaper than a big block" trick. Some are doing it with junkyard ls stuff and turbos but with my luck mine would scatter on the first pass.

And besides all that none of my tools fit that ls stuff
rel3rd likes this.

1970 Chevelle SS full weight street car (4030lbs)
498-11.5:1 (Mac built) 91 pump gas+
Strauby sissy roller -
brodix-rr rec 294
weiand stelth- Pro Systems 1000
turbo 400 10" 3200 Coan 4.10 12 bolt
Best Passes on28-10.5-15 slicks and 110
1.56-6.97-99.83
1.6194-11.1666-120.94

And a drag [email protected]

If it wasn't dangerous, it wouldn't be fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 5:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
I see posts like this and I have to scratch my head. The OP has very few posts and is pondering something rather "intense" from a build perspective....yet will NOT race the car.

So I now have to ask the OP: what is the most serious motor that he has built or ridden/driven behind? It's never been easier to get 550 HP out of a 454....or even 475-500 HP out of a small block Chevy.....than it is NOW. 489s can make 600HP standing on their heads. Are you 100% that this is not enough for you?

We take it for granted on this site, but if you put someone behind the wheel of a real 500 HP motor, especially someone who doesn't spend time at the Track, they often wet their pants when that kind of extreme power is applied to the rear tires.

So, before the OP kills himself in a very stout 540 or LS, the question should be (IMHO): Is he 100% sure that a 550 HP 454 or a 600 HP 489 isn't enough for him? Is the OP aware that however much power he makes, he still needs to apply it to the rear wheels.....or it is wasted?

Lastly, while it has never been easier to go LS than it is now, it is still a LOT of work. Much more work than what you see on TV or read in the magazines.

And while many people have been successful installing EFI on SBC or BBC, there is a LOT of up front work involved. If the OP doesn't want to race, is the Juice Worth The Squeeze? In other words, is all the time and effort worth it?
Hmm I guess the most "serious" motor I've been behind would be a built 496 and I agree I don't NEED a 540 or crazy built ls for the purpose of the car however this is what I want for my chevelle. Also I don't mind the work involved to get exactly what I want the car doesn't have to be completed any time soon

post #34 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 5:57 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Fair enough, El Cameron. So long as you know what you're getting into and don't mind the work. You certainly have the budget for it.

I've never met someone pondering a 540 that didn't intend to race it. But different strokes for different folks. Some people just like lots of cubic inches. I get it. And sometimes, certain projects are just plain fun.

Best of luck!!

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #35 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 6:49 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Somebody asked a question on the difference I see between the two motor/cars I own LS vs BBC. Well my 540 BBC does 550 / 515 hp/tq to the tire and the LS does 610 / 565 hp/tq to the tire on the same dyno. The other thing is Chevelle weighs 3,780 pounds full tank of gas Corvette weighs 3,180 pounds full tank of gas. As far as speed and pulling goes to the Corvette has it over my Chevelle the combination of the 600 pounds and the 60 rwhp is very noticeable. The 540 has a lot of power buy Mr. Turbo 400 wants a lot of that and thus probably 25% power loss versus the stick Corvette with new technology 15% power loss. So the motors are probably pretty close in power but driveline takes it away. The Corvette is about 138 mph while Chevelle is 127 mph in 1/4 mile. As far as sound the 540 is a tone lower and the 3.5 inch exhaust helps that. The Corvette has a 3 inch exhaust with cats, both cars all the way out the back. The LS revs a little easier. LS little better throttle response, but that is the fuel injection versus carb. I agree with the LS good engine comments above but as a few people mentioned sort of looks nice with a big block under there. Also very simple set up no computer stuff which can be good and bad.
post #36 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 6:52 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

I'm with the Big Block!!!

Freddy
post #37 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 7:11 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

The sound part well I have high flow cats on the Corvette and from what I hear it does dumb down the noise a little. The Corsa muffler gives it a little more of an exotic sound versus the Chevelle. Both engines put peak power out a like 6,000-6,200 rpm so its not like one puts out the top power at 7,500 rpm and has the super high rpm whine. The LS is a 454 so it is not a small LS and that is similar in size to what you are looking at if you went LS. Now see if you are thinking a 500-540 CID BBC that will sound great in the car and give a lot of power and that deep tone we all know and love.
post #38 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 7:29 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Just be prepared to be humiliated/ridiculed if you don't have your platform set up to apply that power to the ground...seen it a thousand times.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #39 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input, I'm leaning towards giving Delilah 71' a big block and giving the c10 an ls
aukai and MarkP like this.
post #40 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 12:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Best of both...what year c10?

Build thread-

Album -
post #41 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcameron View Post
I've already posted about this awhile back however I cant figure out for the life of me how to find the original post (sorry Im a noob). I have a 71' chevelle and im trying to decide between a big block or an ls/lt. The car currently has a bone stock 2 barrel 350. Ive narrowed it down between a 540 using a dart block and an ls7/lsx454 or lt4. The car will be driven a few times a week depending on the weather and is not seeing the track or strip. The power goal is around 600hp/tq as long as its streetable. Id like to keep the build n/a but im not opposed to boost. My budget for the engine and tranny would probably be around 15k though i wouldnt mind throwing a couple of more to get exactly what i want. I pretty much want a mean sounding, overpowered cruiser. Please let me know what you guys think and happy new years.
OEM 2 bolt or 4 Bolt block
AFR26 heads out of the box
.580 lift/ 235 @ .050" duration Hyd roller
Morel Street Series Lifters
Vic Jr.
AED 950
Balance Rotating kit yielding around 10 to 1

and your looking at the kind of power you are after.
blue_69_malibu and horton409 like this.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #42 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 4:03 PM
Tech Team
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
Somebody asked a question on the difference I see between the two motor/cars I own LS vs BBC. Well my 540 BBC does 550 / 515 hp/tq to the tire and the LS does 610 / 565 hp/tq to the tire on the same dyno. The other thing is Chevelle weighs 3,780 pounds full tank of gas Corvette weighs 3,180 pounds full tank of gas. As far as speed and pulling goes to the Corvette has it over my Chevelle the combination of the 600 pounds and the 60 rwhp is very noticeable. The 540 has a lot of power buy Mr. Turbo 400 wants a lot of that and thus probably 25% power loss versus the stick Corvette with new technology 15% power loss. So the motors are probably pretty close in power but driveline takes it away. The Corvette is about 138 mph while Chevelle is 127 mph in 1/4 mile. As far as sound the 540 is a tone lower and the 3.5 inch exhaust helps that. The Corvette has a 3 inch exhaust with cats, both cars all the way out the back. The LS revs a little easier. LS little better throttle response, but that is the fuel injection versus carb. I agree with the LS good engine comments above but as a few people mentioned sort of looks nice with a big block under there. Also very simple set up no computer stuff which can be good and bad.
Interesting info and a little depressing! Ive always wanted to see the difference between an LS 454 and a BBC 454 with AFR or equivalent heads. With around the same cam specs I'd figure they'd be close, but not so sure now!

64 Chevy II, L92 6.0, 57mm S200s, AWD with Syclone/Astro transfer case

63 Impala, 454ho short block, 265 afr heads, 60mm S300s
62 Biscayne LS3 turbo, M23
post #43 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 6:32 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

No, I can tell it will not be that close given apples to apples. My cam specs are only 243/259 hydraulic roller at .050 with good size lift .660 on a 114 centerline. Not too bad 23 degrees of overlap at .050. If you assume 15% power loss the 610 /565 is like 715 / 660 tq at flywheel even with a lower % loss number like 12% still like 700 and 650 hp / tq. This is done with pump gas (11.7 to 1 compression) and by 6,100 rpm with peak tq at 4,900. So do not need to rev to moon to get great power. The car puts out At The Tire 500 ft pounds at 3,100 rpm. I think the key to these motors is the heads. Mine flow very well at 410 cfm at .650 lift (intake port is about 275 cc) with exhaust about 260 cfm with an exit tube.
post #44 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 8:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
No, I can tell it will not be that close given apples to apples. My cam specs are only 243/259 hydraulic roller at .050 with good size lift .660 on a 114 centerline. Not too bad 23 degrees of overlap at .050. If you assume 15% power loss the 610 /565 is like 715 / 660 tq at flywheel even with a lower % loss number like 12% still like 700 and 650 hp / tq. This is done with pump gas (11.7 to 1 compression) and by 6,100 rpm with peak tq at 4,900. So do not need to rev to moon to get great power. The car puts out At The Tire 500 ft pounds at 3,100 rpm. I think the key to these motors is the heads. Mine flow very well at 410 cfm at .650 lift (intake port is about 275 cc) with exhaust about 260 cfm with an exit tube.
Lew540-

If you could just do us all one more favor and swap those two motors around in your chevelle/corvette and then let us know the difference again :-)

Honestly, this is good info from someone who actually owns both. Yes there are differences in drivetrains and such. But still comparing from the same person on the topic we are discussing. Thanks for the info.

Build thread-

Album -
post #45 of 242 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 17, 9:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66rat View Post
How can you argue this point? You got a vintage muscle car, so what is the appropriate choice for an engine?

To me, there's certain things a man shouldn't do,

1. Be seen inside a smart car (this one would result in immediate revocation of the "man card")
2. Drink skunky beer, unless of course you live in a dry county, its Sunday afternoon, and that's the only beer left in your Buddy's fridge
3. Swap out your fat motor for a LS motor in a vintage muscle car because you want better gas mileage....probably the most grievous of the infractions

OP, ponder these and get back with us on your decision, lol
Only thing I wanted was a little better gas mileage.. would love a quadrajet

I'm the Haught guy.......
2004 GMC Pickemup-
1972 Chevelle...
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Ultimate
2001 BMW K1200 LT (Sally Ride)

Whatever doesn't kill me, Better RUN!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 949 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.