Performance Our High Performance area

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 6:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Re: JEG'S 40520 distributor

Side mounted dist modules.

The Australian equivalent of HEI used a Bosch module. Very reliable, used for many years on many makes of cars, including GM & Ferd. The module was mounted on a small shelf that doubled as a heat sink & sat half way up the dist body. 4 pin module similar size to the HEI, has the same mounting centres. The Bosch module switches fractionally higher current.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 10:20 AM
Team Member
George

I have the Pertronix billet small cap distributor. It's been working great. Most that look think I'm running a points distributor.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 8:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo71 View Post
I have the Pertronix billet small cap distributor. It's been working great. Most that look think I'm running a points distributor.
Do you have a part number I can check out..thanks!

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 1:31 AM
Team Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Importtech View Post
Do you have a part number I can check out..thanks!
I think this is the one I have....they have another one with built in rev limiter too. These don't need an ignition box...just a coil. Easy to change the advance curve. But the vacuum advance isn't fully advanced at my vacuum level. I just run it ported and it's fine.

Pertronix D100700: Flame-Thrower II Billet Distributor Small and Big Block Chevy | JEGS

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 1:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

If you can live with cast housing I installed a couple(3 so far oldest was installed around 2008)of these on cars I worked on with sucess.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d104600
But I belive a hei module puts out more current so personaly I would use a msd 8361 and hook it up with a hei module like the description in my earlier post if you dont want a ignition box. But I have also had luck with the msd ready to run distributors I have installed(so far 5 oldest 2006) and same with msd boxes no faillure yet.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 9:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I use a points distributor with a Crane XRi unit which has a built in rev limiter. Looks like an HEI module and fits under the rotor. Been running this set up for 5+ years with no issues. FWIW, a remanufactured points distributor is $25-30,Crane module about $70 and Moroso curve kit (you really only need the 2 lightest springs and the advance stop bushing) is $10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 16, 1:40 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

this cast look deal looks pretty good to me. if a guy slid a piece of black shrink wrap over the wires it would be hard to tell it isn't stock.

Apparently they don't say in the marketing materials whether you have to run the resistance wire or ballast.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 16, 4:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
this cast look deal looks pretty good to me. if a guy slid a piece of black shrink wrap over the wires it would be hard to tell it isn't stock.

Apparently they don't say in the marketing materials whether you have to run the resistance wire or ballast.
You cn get instructions here:
PerTronix Instruction Sheets

http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instru...ts/D104600.pdf

I used the matching coil from Pertronix on the ones I installed.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 16, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Still haven't decided what I'm going to do. Now that I've got the dirt track thing out of my system for good I think I have more time for the 'velle. I'd like to put in an efi ready tank and work on getting a better tuned prom. I'm not concerned with originality on the distributor since nothing looks stock. If I knew that MSD could repair my 6AL reasonably and be RELIABLE I'd probably go back to and 85551 and be happy. I'm still kicking around the dUI..I like their stuff. Wonder if the RTR distributors could be fitted with a 4 pin module if when they fail. I see Dave says they are soldered in but that's not a big deal I don't think. I'm got plenty of big cap modules lying around.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 2:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Importtech View Post
Still haven't decided what I'm going to do. Now that I've got the dirt track thing out of my system for good I think I have more time for the 'velle. I'd like to put in an efi ready tank and work on getting a better tuned prom. I'm not concerned with originality on the distributor since nothing looks stock. If I knew that MSD could repair my 6AL reasonably and be RELIABLE I'd probably go back to and 85551 and be happy. I'm still kicking around the dUI..I like their stuff. Wonder if the RTR distributors could be fitted with a 4 pin module if when they fail. I see Dave says they are soldered in but that's not a big deal I don't think. I'm got plenty of big cap modules lying around.
If you was happy with your 85551 distributor and have plenty of hei modules why dont you use the wiring diagram in my earlier post and hook up a hei module to it, will cost you nothing and perform very well if you dont miss the lack of vacuum advance.

If you goes with a msd or jegs ready to run I belive you could unsolder the module in them if they fail and replace with a external mounted hei module might not be so fun to do on the side of the road though.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 6:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Easy to just use the magnetic trigger/pick up from the Ready To Replace dist.

The 4 pin HEI module is marked G & W for the pick up. The MSD black/orange wire goes to the W terminal & the black/purple wire goes to the G terminal.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 16, 7:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Bringing this back up from the dead. I finally made a decision to let the ECM control spark timing so rebuilt one of my cheap ebay small cap distributor's with all new GM delco pickup coil and GM Delco professional series module and new melonized gear. Of course these distributors used the external epoxy E coils from the factory. I have an oil filled Red blaster 2 coil from the 90's. The coil primary winding is right at .9 ohm. Seemed to remember Dave Ray didn't like these coils but was wondering if that is just newer ones. Is there a better option now? It seems to run just fine but don't want to overheat this module.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 16, 9:03 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

.9 should be OK. Check it when it's hot, see what it says.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1142 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.