Performance Our High Performance area

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 9:56 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: JEG'S 40520 distributor

Wow, that DUI dist is $300. They could have at least turned a flat spot on the bottom and mounted the module there instead of hanging off the side like that.

You'll probably have to call them during business hours to get any detail info about their stuff. Their site doesn't really say much.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

I'm up for suggestions Tom.... I need a small cap distributor. .... .$80 cheap Ebay-POS, $200 JEG's-POS, MSD-$300-POS, $300 DUI(w/coil) that uses factory body, factory weights, springs,setup on dist machine-ugly POS. that about cover it?

Last edited by Importtech; Sep 26th, 16 at 10:34 PM.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 10:47 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

I have swap meet brand new HEI that ran 7 minutes max, and it was a no name with soldered in module. Now taking up space in the garage.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 11:08 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Yeppers Jack. And Dave.

How about a stocker with a Pertronix setup? You know anybody with a distributor machine?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

So all the "new" RTR distributors are using a non serviceable module then I'm gathering...probably a circuit board correct?
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Yeah Tom we have a distributor machine at school. I'm not familiar with pertronix setup but I've heard of it.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 12:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Buy a msd 8361 and a good hei module you can mount the module hidden somewhere if its a permanent solution maybe something with a cap? msd's pro billet distributors is pretty good quality imho and made in Us(at least says so on the box and when you ask summit). Easy to set up mech advance just change a bushing. The cheap chinese HEI's arent good quality wven though I have installed a couple that has lived for several years now. Personaly I would only use a old "real" HEI and have it rebuilt if I was considdering a large cap HEI.

Heres an old carcraft article.

I have this setup as a spare of my msd 6al box ever will fail(10 years and thousands of streetmiles so far) most failed msd box I have seen was from bad instsllations(not following msd instructions how to wire them). Just a couple of minutes to hook up.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles

Last edited by Malibu ss 64; Sep 27th, 16 at 1:20 AM.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 5:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

I have a DUI catalog where they describe the combustion process as the mixture 'exploding' in the cyl. I wouldn't buy a rotor button off a company selling ign products & that thinks normal combustion is an explosion....
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 8:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Jack
I use to run the Accel with the Coil pack / BIG Top HEI but it kept burning up inside
and after the 3rd rebuilt it got thrown in the garbage bin

So went to the small Top HEI with a separate Coil

Here is what I am running for Electronics on the Engine;
- MSD # 6420 Box & Resistor put in June 2007
- ALL81216 Distrubtor Allstar Performance - racing and high performance car parts, accessories and specialty tools.
- ALL81230 Ignition Coil Allstar Performance - racing and high performance car parts, accessories and specialty tools.
- ALL76202 Solenoid Kit Allstar Performance - racing and high performance car parts, accessories and specialty tools.

Has been running great since

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 8:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
I have a DUI catalog where they describe the combustion process as the mixture 'exploding' in the cyl. I wouldn't buy a rotor button off a company selling ign products & that thinks normal combustion is an explosion....
DUI is a good distributor I don't care who wrote that. Anyone who has been around the racetracks at all know's about DUI.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 9:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Jack
I use to run the Accel with the Coil pack / BIG Top HEI but it kept burning up inside
and after the 3rd rebuilt it got thrown in the garbage bin

So went to the small Top HEI with a separate Coil

Here is what I am running for Electronics on the Engine;
- MSD # 6420 Box & Resistor put in June 2007
- ALL81216 Distrubtor Allstar Performance - racing and high performance car parts, accessories and specialty tools.
- ALL81230 Ignition Coil Allstar Performance - racing and high performance car parts, accessories and specialty tools.
- ALL76202 Solenoid Kit Allstar Performance - racing and high performance car parts, accessories and specialty tools.

Has been running great since
I had a 6AL and 85551 but the box went out very quickly and I never replaced it. I've got to run small cap distributor due to clearance issues with my manifold. I ditched the msd setup and I went to an EST style distributor and remote coil several years ago but I would like to separate ignition timing from the ECU. I'd rather not run a box if I can get around it.
Seems like the general consensus is that the RTR setup isn't real reliable either.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 6:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Jack,
DUI wrote [B]THAT[/B]!

Quote from p. 10 of the DUI catalog:

"...providing a more powerful explosion of the fuel mixture."

Quote from p. 11: "..providing a more powerful explosion of the fuel mixture."
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 8:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
Jack,
DUI wrote [B]THAT[/B]!

Quote from p. 10 of the DUI catalog:

"...providing a more powerful explosion of the fuel mixture."

Quote from p. 11: "..providing a more powerful explosion of the fuel mixture."
I'm not doubtin' its there, probably written by some dumb salesman...nevertheless DUI Hei distributors are a quality piece. We spin one 7400-7800 religiously every weekend March -Sept.
DUI has come up before...
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-p...xperience.html
Since everybody is telling me the RTR's are junk . I'm probably goin' to go with DUI small cap. I don't care if the module hangs off the front. Ford did that for years. You can't really even see my distributor.
I do appreciate the input from all.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 8:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
Just an FYI. I have 3 of those GM 93440806's that I purchased from Amazon during the previous 4 years.

Now understand that I'm not sure what caused the failures (could have been my cars' elect. glitch) but two of the modules failed with less than 60 hours on them. One module was ink stamped on the back side: "Made in Singapore".

Still troubleshooting the issue, but I'm beginning to suspect the dist. cap/coil assembly. Why? I installed a D.U.I. module in one of them and have had 3 hiccups with it. (Engine abruptly stopped and later re-started.)
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 9:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Coil in cap's definitely get hotter. You need to run a low resistance bushing with a hot coil too. I often wonder if my 60 year old harness might have been part of the reason the 6AL died so quickly. If you can catch it not starting check the AC voltage from he pickup coil. Usually an ohm check is almost useless on anything ignition related. Least that's been my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1142 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.