Dyno tuning factory engines - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 16, 3:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marty

Dyno tuning factory engines

Anyone ever have the chance to dyno a factory stock engine like an LT1 350, LS6 454 or any of the others and only make changes to jetting and timing curve? I'm just wondering how much more was gained by changing the factory " for every driver" tune.

Marty
1980 Camaro
1970 Malibu

Last edited by LevonH; Sep 18th, 16 at 8:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 16, 12:18 PM
Tech Team
mark

Re: Dyno tuning factory engines

Great question. I would love to see what a good tuner could get out of a stock engine.

1969 Chevelle
412 small block
M-20 4spd
4:11 12 bolt

1957 Thundarbird Gasser
Aluminum Shafiroff 582
Richmond 5spd
4:33 59 Olds rear
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 16, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Mark Jones built a factory stock L72 427 awhile back and ended up around 550 HP at the flywheel,using the factory 780 cfm Holley.
No headwork either. Just all GM parts and careful assembly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 16, 2:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Sean

Garage

My pretty much bone stock L72 made 502 at the flywheel.
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 16, 7:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage

I think Mark free's up a lot of power with his machine work and careful attention to detail. It would be cool to see dyno numbers from a stock L78 or L72.
WHT/73 likes this.

1971 Chevelle Triple Black

VortecPro 496, 9.8:1 comp. 049 heads 2.25/1.88 valves, [email protected]50 Isky Hyd Roller, Eddy Air Gap, Holley HP1000, Doug's D316 Headers, Hughes TH400, ATI converter, GM 12 Bolt, 3.42 Posi, SEE DYNO VIDEO
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 16, 11:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

I've actually got a "student" who does LS swaps and custom tuning with HPTuners on the factory PCM's. He does all the work, builds the harness's and does the tuning. I'll pick his brain and see what he says. We have brand new 4 wheel mustang dyno going it but its not up and running yet. Can't wait to get on it.

best regards
Jack

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 1:39 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Jack, that is cool. Always a learning experience if you haven't done it before.
Importtech likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 9:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Nova View Post
Mark also did a 1969 396 L78 and it was in the 450+Hp range

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-p...dyno-test.html
Thanks for the bringing that thread up.I forgot about that one.
There is some interesting info in there that specifically goes with the topic at hand,IMHO

In 1965,Chevrolet rated the 396/425HP at 6400 rpm for the Corvette and full size Chevy.
And as we all know,that motor used the 143 solid cam,sq. port heads,780 Holley/High Rise,etc.
This is the same motor build that would be called the L78 and rated at 375 HP @ 5600 rpm

Mark's build made almost 455 HP at 6100 and the HP was rising with the same type motor.
Also,Mark's L78 is making 446 HP at 5600

So,one could say this is an interesting comparison between a factory HP rating and the same build carefully assembled with much detail.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 9:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

I have 1 but no dyno numbers just MPG numbers.
Not a performance engine.
1979 454 1 Ton dually tow truck 4.11 gears and granny 4 speed.
Heavy steel bed with boom winch.
Owner of the car lot pulled the 454 because it got 6 MPG and installed a 350 and it got 8 MPG.
I began working for him as Repo man and brake mechanic.

The tow truck was a putz.. never left the metro area so mostly slow city driving and most of the time had a car in tow.

I talked the owner into letting me stick the 454 back in ..I told him I could tune it to better MPG vs the factory.

I re-curved the distributor ..quick curve, I adjusted the APT on the Quadrajet carb to be 2 1/2 turns out vs the 4 3/4 turns out from GM.
No vacuum advance with the quick curve I put in it..

12 MPG is what it got after those 2 changes.. Owner said it felt peppier also.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 1:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Garage

Brand new COPO Chevelle factory stock jetting and distributor smog settings. Five the eight cylinders the rings didn't seat and it drank oil at about 135 miles to the quart. 260 hp at the rear wheels at 5,000 rpm. Re-ringed, tuned and headers made a huge difference but I never had it on a dyno again. Our L78 '69 was a 13.3s car, 3900 pounds with driver. You do the math. Lots of careful detail work to get the horsepower that these guys are getting. In the past, whenever I asked someone how they got their big hp numbers, they went silent. Not saying it can't be done but not everyone is knowledgeable enough to do it. I'm not.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 8:57 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Well when it comes to an engine dyno and a chassis dyno it can be a little heartbreaking when you get the rear wheel number. A 997 point 1970 LS6 Chevelle so really very stock put down 290 hp at the tire. That is with factory manifolds too which we know are power robbers. Probably with headers that number gets closer to 330-340 hp at the tire. They did a 426 hemi Chrysler that probably had 485 hp (or that's what they said) at the motor and it did like 335 hp or 345 hp at tire. Most of these cars loose 25% or more to the tire, especially if automatic. Also lets face it we all wish we had dyno headers on our cars you put regular headers and have to push the exhaust back over the axle another 15 feet, well you loose some power. My Chevelle is no exception engine has like 725 hp at flywheel and 545 hp at the tire. Another guy similar engine as mine 690 hp at motor dropped in car next day (shop has engine and chassis dyno) and shazaam 525 hp at the tire. I would say the chassis dyno is a great tool to tune the car as it has the full exhaust and all the other nuances of the car in a running state - just be ready for a lower number.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 9:08 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

I think I remember reading in the - How to Hot Rod a Big Block Chevy - that the GM HP numbers are based on using headers. The LS6 actually on makes like 380-390 hp when you put the stock iron manifolds on it (down from 450 hp).
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 16, 9:52 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Paging Jim Lerum and John Brown...
mr 4 speed likes this.

1972 SS 454 Chevelle - 468/M21/3.73
1969 Malibu L48/M20/3.31 -> L72 swap
1968 Malibu 307/PG -> LQ9/80E swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
How do you retire from something you rarely do?

Its like a welfare reciepiant saying there done working...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 16, 7:50 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Yes the Turbo 400 is a power hog (but it is strong) and the loose stall converter does not help either. That is good to know about efficient units out there, I also here a Turbo 350 is a little more user friendly on power loss. I think the other power looser is the exhaust (as compared to dyno headers) though a lot of this can be over come with nice correctly sized exhaust pipes/mufflers X/H pipe and a good set of headers but you can only do so much to fit it in the chassis. Another power draw that is not on the engine dyno can be the old flex fan or a clutch fan that is not working right. If possible I would highly recommend any of the readers here take your car to a good tuner / chassis dyno operator and really dial in your car it is well worth it. Not just for all out power but even for just farting around town driving.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 16, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Nova View Post
I would say it's MORE beneficial to the guys just farting around town to get these stuff dyno tuned then the racers.
Agreed. FWIW,Out of all the cars I have dialed in for customers and friends over the years,most of the common issues I come across is throttle linkage not adjusted for WOT,not enough advance and wacky carb "calibrations" by someone who thought they had a good idea.
This stuff isn't rocket science but it seems there are more and more people that want to enjoy these cars and have no clue on how to work on them or check basics for it perform well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1210 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.