Team Chevelle banner

Fuel pump push rod (another one stuck)

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  rhodsonr702 
#1 ·
So, looks like I was late to the party and found out the hard way about these bronze tip pushrods. I can not get it out and I don't want to tear the motor apart to remove. So, question is can I leave the stock PR where it is, install block off plate and go electric. Seems like an easier fix.

Second question, what do you recommend for electric fuel pump (454 with a QF 950cfm carb). I have a regulator installed currently.

Third question, what about bronze distributor gear, do I need to check that every so often? What is the deal there?

Thanks all. Dave

#3 ·
Bronze distributor gears do need to be inspected regularly and replaced as needed.
If a GM Melonized gear will work instead I would switch the bronze for one of those.
If you have an aftermarket distributor with a .500 shaft you can have the GM one honed to the correct size;
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ado-19052845/overview/
Or I believe that Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis has them on his shelf.
Guy

#8 ·
#9 ·
I mushroomed all bronze tip fuel pump pushrod brands I tried(comp, crane and howard)before I bought one from Chris it has worked twice as long as the others I tried and last time I checked it it came right out. I use to check it often like once a month. Deburred it and installed it just like I did with the others. Only other pushrod I have had luck with was the howard carbon polymer but just felt saver with a metal one.

#13 ·
I too have mushroomed a bronze pushrod back a few yrs ago ....I now bevel the edge on a new pr before I install no problems since doing that ..... and yes use a Ampco 45 bronze one like Chris sells

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.