How do you block the oil filter bypass? - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 16, 9:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Re: How do you block the oil filter bypass?

Freinds don't let friends run Fram filters.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 16, 9:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Whaaaaaaaat. AC Delco filters are fram? Please someone tell me different. I have a Ac Delco on my brand new 496. If its junk its coming off. I hope not.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 16, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
Whaaaaaaaat. AC Delco filters are fram? Please someone tell me different. I have a Ac Delco on my brand new 496. If its junk its coming off. I hope not.
AC Delco filters use to be a good filter years ago but have been cheapened up and the quality is gone.

Website is up and running

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #79 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 16, 2:42 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
Well, I'm just going to politely say I won't run one in any engine I have. Some other filters I won't run are SuperTech and Fram.

Last edited by thrasher; Aug 18th, 16 at 3:02 AM.
post #80 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 16, 3:13 AM
Senior Tech Team

ACDelco of today is not the AC-Delco of yesteryear (note the missing hyphen). It was pretty much sold off after the bankruptcy and many parts are low bid Asian imports, like oil filters.

This doesn't mean all ACDelco parts are bad. ACDelco "professional" is assembly line OEM grade. If you need an AC condenser, ACDelco units will have the correct number of tubes, the aftermarket is usually less tubes which means less cooling efficiency.

Pass on their oil filters. Reach for a known good brand name. Hastings, Wix, Mobil1, K&N... If you have piston rings from ANYBODY, chances are good Hastings made them.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #81 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 16, 11:03 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

Also, pass on any/all ACDelco ignition parts - all chinese made and to incorrect tolerances across the board!

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #82 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 16, 5:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Only thing else I want to add is that once you do this it is imperative that you use a good quality racing type filter, especially if you are ever going to run the engine when cold. Also you need to warm the engine up so the oil temperature gets normalized before you start "leaning" on it.
Yup I couldn't agree more... Blocking the bypass and running a cheap filter on a circle track engine is asking for trouble. Guys are always having to jump on the track with a cold engine. It's going to happen.... Either don't block it or run a racing filter. You could make a case for it both ways. I've ran it both ways and don't have engine failures.
post #83 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 16, 6:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Importtech View Post
Yup I couldn't agree more... Blocking the bypass and running a cheap filter on a circle track engine is asking for trouble. Guys are always having to jump on the track with a cold engine. It's going to happen.... Either don't block it or run a racing filter. You could make a case for it both ways. I've ran it both ways and don't have engine failures.
Never had to run a Racing filter to date on my circle track engines, And there are a lot of engines that never get any oil temp and no problems more so the cars that have to be push started with 3 or 4 laps they are racing.
Wolfplace and StevenS like this.

Website is up and running

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #84 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 16, 8:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Never thought a 1/4 inch pipe plug would get to 6 pages.
paul bell and porky70 like this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #85 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 16, 1:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
Never had to run a Racing filter to date on my circle track engines, And there are a lot of engines that never get any oil temp and no problems more so the cars that have to be push started with 3 or 4 laps they are racing.
I see what you did there..You mean specifically a Racing filter like 51060R which is what I generally run. I was thinking more along the lines of not running a cheap filter. I can't say a 51060 wouldn't work because I've never tried it but I know a fram won't. I get nervous when i don't see oil pressure. I know the "R" filter is a little more free flowing.
post #86 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 16, 2:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Wix filters are good, I personally will not run a Racing Wix when I can get the flow with better filtration from another brand. This is just my opinion. There was a discussion earlier about it.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-p...l-filters.html

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #87 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 16, 12:05 PM
Team Member
George

After reading all this, still have no idea what is the correct oil filter to run. ZZ4 roller block 383, melling hv standard pressure pump, 8 quart oil pan. Builder recommended the blocked bypass and an HP4 filter. Sounds like it's not liked here. I've always run Napa filters and never had anything bypassed before.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
388 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #88 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 16, 1:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo71 View Post
After reading all this, still have no idea what is the correct oil filter to run. ZZ4 roller block 383, melling hv standard pressure pump, 8 quart oil pan. Builder recommended the blocked bypass and an HP4 filter. Sounds like it's not liked here. I've always run Napa filters and never had anything bypassed before.
Not following what you mean by "never had anything bypassed before"??
In stock form you had a bypass in the filter mount & this is what we usually plug so all oil goes through the filter 100% of the time
I would for sure not do this with a Fram filter but I do not use Fram so for me this is moot

For a filter I would stick with your NAPA Gold, it is a Wix
IE
1061 NAPA = 51061 Wix
Importtech and paul bell like this.

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #89 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 16, 3:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

There has been some changes, I don't think Wix is making for NAPA anymore. Just to be sure, you should be looking for the actual Wix version.

Step up to the XP version (51960XP), it has that better synthetic media backed by a wire mesh.

Part Details

Wix 51060XP Case of 6

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #90 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 16, 4:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

The only difference between the 51060 & 61 is the 60 has the "anti drain back valve which is totally unnecessary in any Chevrolet V8 application with the filter upright as oil rarely drains uphill

As far as the XP series, I agree, it is an excellent filter but I have had zero issues with the cellulose line so I see no reason to change considering the first two I use get tossed usually on the first or second day

Interesting on the Napa filters,,, I have cut open a couple of customer supplied Napa 1061's within the last month or two & they certainly look to be the Wix but for me this is a non issue as all I normally use is genuine Wix

More info for those that care
Wix Filters - Product Catalog search results

WIX Filters - Racing Catalog

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1252 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.