Help with drag tire choice - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 3:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kerry

Help with drag tire choice

I have a 71 Nova which is street driven, with a MJ 467, which made 630/600 on his dyno. TH400 with Mark spec'd tight ATI 2500 convertor, 8.5 with 3.42 gears. Cal tracs with 2" drop split monos, double adjustable Vari shocks front and rear. The suspension is also for handling, with front and rear Hellwig bars, SPC 2" drop springs in front and Upper/lower SPC arms. I weighed the car at the gov't scales the way I drive it on the street. It weighs 3660lbs with me in it. 56.6%/43.4% F/R.

I am looking at changing my wheels/tires for at the track only, from the 17" torque thrust I have now. I have 245/45-17 front, and rear, Hoosier DOT drag radial on the back. My best 60' so far is 1.844.

I am looking at the Race Star 92 Drag Star Bracket racer wheels, 15x8 for the rear, and 17x4.5 for the front (I have Baer 13" discs on the front, requiring 17" wheels).

I was thinking of the Moroso 17029 front drag tires, as I want to keep the 26" tire, and they say they fit on a 4.5" wheel.

For the rear, should I stay with a 26" tire to keep my gear ratio lower? Or will a 28" tire be that much better for off the line that it will offset the taller over all gear ratio?

The track I race at is not very consistent for traction, and it is all bracket racing. Based on that, what tire should I look at? I was thinking of the MT Pro Bracket Radial in 26/8.5-15, or the Hoosier stiff sidewall slick in 26/8.5-15.

Help me out, because with the poor CDN dollar, I would rather make the best choice the first time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 3:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Help with drag tire choice

Are you spinning when running that 60ft? I've always had excellent results with the Hoosier drag radials. At a 3900lb race weight, I've gone 1.47 on the 60ft.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 3:58 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Being a street driven car Kerry I would make as few changes as possible. Your suspension set-up isnt going to help you at the track...I would just stuff the largest tire under the back I could and call it done. A wheel/tire change up front is not going to contribute much in your case vs the money spent.
Steve R likes this.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 4:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
I have a 71 Nova which is street driven, with a MJ 467, which made 630/600 on his dyno. TH400 with Mark spec'd tight ATI 2500 convertor, 8.5 with 3.42 gears. Cal tracs with 2" drop split monos, double adjustable Vari shocks front and rear. The suspension is also for handling, with front and rear Hellwig bars, SPC 2" drop springs in front and Upper/lower SPC arms. I weighed the car at the gov't scales the way I drive it on the street. It weighs 3660lbs with me in it. 56.6%/43.4% F/R.

I am looking at changing my wheels/tires for at the track only, from the 17" torque thrust I have now. I have 245/45-17 front, and rear, Hoosier DOT drag radial on the back. My best 60' so far is 1.844.

I am looking at the Race Star 92 Drag Star Bracket racer wheels, 15x8 for the rear, and 17x4.5 for the front (I have Baer 13" discs on the front, requiring 17" wheels).

I was thinking of the Moroso 17029 front drag tires, as I want to keep the 26" tire, and they say they fit on a 4.5" wheel.

For the rear, should I stay with a 26" tire to keep my gear ratio lower? Or will a 28" tire be that much better for off the line that it will offset the taller over all gear ratio?

The track I race at is not very consistent for traction, and it is all bracket racing. Based on that, what tire should I look at? I was thinking of the MT Pro Bracket Radial in 26/8.5-15, or the Hoosier stiff sidewall slick in 26/8.5-15.

Help me out, because with the poor CDN dollar, I would rather make the best choice the first time!
A taller tire will give you more contact patch.

Check with some of the better bracket racers to see if they are also having traction problems. If they aren't then there is a good chance it's your suspension set up rather than track prep that's causing your inconsistency.

Steve R
oliver69 likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 6:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kerry

My car does spin on the launch now.

Being that my tire/wheel combo is very heavy, that is one reason I was thinking of going to a much lighter wheel. And I would only be putting them on for at the track.

The second reason is that I thought a 15" tire would make quite a difference in traction from the 17" I have now, even considering the suspension set up compromise.

I do adjust the shock and Caltrac settings for at the track, then change back for on the street. And I don't mind doing that either. I have not played with suspension settings a lot, as I guessed the tire I am running would be the main limitation right now.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 6:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I like the hoosier quick time dot. C06 compound.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 7:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ron

2500 converter or 5200??

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315/Straub hyd roller/pump 91
TH400/GV OD/9" 3.50's/ 255/60/15 DR

10.86 at 124.8
3670 with driver
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 8:21 PM
Team Member
Mark

I agree with Steve. With your power, I'd go as tall and wide as possible. Without new wheels, the offset will drive what can fit.

A 275 60 15 should fit. A 295 65 15 might. Make sure to check both sides (axle may not be exactly centered). You'll need to change the speedo gear in the Trans after you figure out what fits (unless only for the track).

The Mikey Thompson and Hoosier seem to hook best.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 8:25 PM
Team Member
Mark

I recently got 18s for the back (295 45 18). They have no where near the straight line traction of the 275 60 15 MT ET Streets I usually have on the car.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 8:31 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
I was thinking of the Moroso 17029 front drag tires...
...MT Pro Bracket Radial in 26/8.5-15, or the Hoosier stiff sidewall slick in 26/8.5-15.
Go the Moroso bias fronts and the Hoosiers, or choose an M/T slick in a bias.

I know plenty of people do through ignorance or lack of awareness, but mixing radials and bias tires on the same car is never a great idea.
If you must, at least put radials on the front where they can steer.

Post pictures.. -or it never happened!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 2:18 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
My car does spin on the launch now.

Being that my tire/wheel combo is very heavy, that is one reason I was thinking of going to a much lighter wheel. And I would only be putting them on for at the track.

The second reason is that I thought a 15" tire would make quite a difference in traction from the 17" I have now, even considering the suspension set up compromise.

I do adjust the shock and Caltrac settings for at the track, then change back for on the street. And I don't mind doing that either. I have not played with suspension settings a lot, as I guessed the tire I am running would be the main limitation right now.
Kerry - It isnt the weight of the wheels that are hurting you on the track, rather the short, stiff sidewall 17" tires. A full slick like a Hoosier or M/T radial will be your best bet with no need to run a tube...run them no lower than 17psi. In reality a worn out set of junk 50/50 oil filled mono shocks for the rear will work better than any gas charged twin tube regardless of adjustment. I would say disconnect the front swaybar normally, but with your springs it likely would be wasted effort...no stored energy to be found there.

Not the largest tire you can fit under your car, but these will work without issues... Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks 3052R - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Think cheap as you can find for wheels... Wheel Vintiques 38 Series Hot Rod Rallye Silver Wheels 38-581205 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

Last edited by HandOverFist; Apr 1st, 16 at 2:50 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 10:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Kerry, you need the lightest wheels with radials on the back, not sure this will work with your setup, Moroso drag fronts as narrow as possible on a light weight wheel. Wheel/tire weight always matters. The proper setup from what your running now could be close to a second quicker.
oliver69 likes this.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 10:48 AM
Team Member
Mark

A second improvement sounds like a lot! How much of that second is from skinny fronts? Can a 245-255 width front tire cost a few tenths?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 10:58 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO View Post
Kerry, you need the lightest wheels with radials on the back, not sure this will work with your setup, Moroso drag fronts as narrow as possible on a light weight wheel. Wheel/tire weight always matters. The proper setup from what your running now could be close to a second quicker.
Mark - He isnt going to have the proper set-up unless he makes major changes front and rear...things I doubt he will be willing to do given it's street driven status. All the flyweight parts in the world will not matter in a bracket race anyway.

Not many will want to hear this, but in reality with what he is working with would be easier to cope with if he simply had less hp on tap. I just hate to see people keep throwing money at something for little to no gain.

Well sorted combo's here...not suitable for any street use tho. http://vid434.photobucket.com/albums...ps4a010362.mp4

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 16, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech Team

The lighter wheel is not for ET, in this case a heavy wheel does not recover as quickly when it spins.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1328 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.