Team Chevelle banner

65 Chevelle Drag Car Build

17K views 82 replies 21 participants last post by  JBoggs 
#1 ·
I've been posting pics and such in other threads so I thought I'd start one and not pollute others..

New to the site, no really new to drag racing.. BUT I will be the first to say there's always something to learn..

After owning a fox chassis mustang 13 years, and getting VERY tire of it.. I sold it to a friend of mine,and have decided to do another car..

I had a buddy who street raced a 65 El Co many many years ago.. and I've always loved the front ends, but wasn't too into the truck thing.. SO I went out a found a good base to start another build.

I guess I'll keep this running as I progress through its stages.

current config:

136 car, nothing overly special.But had a solid frame underneath it, and was a race car that hadn't been hack up with some backyard 4 link or ladder bar..

Fiber glass:
Fenders
Doors
Hood
Bumpers

Windows:
All Lexan

Front suspension:
All stock with a manual disk conversion

Rear suspension:
Jegs non adjustable control arms
Air bag
Unknown type shocks

Rear:
Narrowed 12 bolt 35 spline axles w/ wilwood brakes

Cage:
10pt mild steel. I believe should cert to 8.50

When I sold my mustang I kept all the electronics, the entire drive train (BBC/2spd th400) and the rear coilovers. So I have those for this car.

Plans are to go 25.3 with the car.. keeping it stock suspension.

So I guess this can be a running thing as I progress.

See less See more
#75 ·
Hell... That's the starting point!

This is a whole car approach. The shop I'll use is absolutely uncanny in the way they're able to get weight out of a car. I think doing something like a 65 chevelle is a "challenge" for them since most cars being built these days are fox body mustangs, and 4th gen camaros..

#78 ·
Love where your going with this, cool project! I don't see many '64/'65 cars racing in the PNW.

Mine is very similar and my hopes are to run a similar Weld wheel as you pictured earlier and replace the scoop with a cowl hood.

#81 ·
Bringing the back from the dead a bit..

Life and other business ventures have required me selling off my drivetrain.. So... no more 565/turbo glide :-(

BUT.. all things are not lost!

I dropped the car off up at Team Z motorsports to get the chassis done. Orders were... "Max Light" effort

This delivery has been in the works since PRI last year, and both Dave and I have been CRAZY busy. I was finally able to drag the car to MI to drop it off at his new building. (super impressive btw)

Not much has change in regards to ideas.. I am going to make sure the car is X275 legal. So it will have as much of the stock frame as required, but nothing more.. It will retain stock rear suspension, it will have as much stock floor as needed.. beyond that, it's game on!

It will be set up for a sb/nos/efi combo but the chassis is going to be built to accommodate a dry sump 5" motor.

This will be a process.. but I will post pics as I get them..

#82 ·
Very impressive, and ambitious, I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.