Lost one on the break in today... - Page 7 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 110 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 6:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: Lost one on the break in today...

Shouldn't the lifter have wear marks on the outer portion of the face? Isn't that what makes it spin? (lifter convex / cam tapered) It looks like the lifter was spinning, but the wear is in the center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 7:16 PM
Team Member
Broc

Unhappy Re: Lost one on the break in today...

That lifter face indicates to soft metal. It should not be cupped that bad in 15 minutes if the metal was anywhere near spec hardness ... It's not the cams fault - it's another bad lifter ...

And as to oil - 1.) 540 RAT will prolly not be back by to answer your question..., and 2.) I was not suggesting any specific oil. I was saying that if you buy a cam and lifters from say Howard's, they will have specific recommendations that you will follow if you want the 5-year warranty to be honored on their end.

It's not negotiable on a warranty claim if there ever is one (which I doubt there will be ...).
427L88 likes this.
post #93 of 110 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 7:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

When a flat tappet fails it is typically during the break in so 15 minutes isn't unreasonable.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'

post #94 of 110 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 8:01 PM
Gold Member
Gene

HOLY COW! Was I looking at a "cupped" lifter? If I was, that a lot of shiny HARD metal racing through the engine, And bearings down to copper backing OUCH!

No pro here, but for a lifter to go from crowned to concave is alot of shaving. And it isnt aluminum. Hence all the collateral damage. Not the oil's fault.

You know what the friggin bitch of it is, pulling all the oil galley plugs and cleaning that whole mess super super super well. We used long gun brushes , one piece kind.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #95 of 110 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 8:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Luckily I've been using the Valvoline VR-1 racing oil for a long time now. It's probably the best rated conventional oil there is according to 540 Rat's charts. Suggest you guys read over the chart he posted. It's good reading with factual information.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 110 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 9:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

That damage to me looks like there was no oil flow to the mains.
Lifter and cam are lubed by splash from the rods.
Ditto for piston skirts.

In spite of what the gauge said........

Bummer Alan!

Ron

69 Nova
LS Alum 5.3 single turbo
Best ET 8.76
Best MPH 157
2000 Corvette C5 Auto LS1 [email protected]
Dyno Operator/Tuner
post #97 of 110 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 10:22 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post
Luckily I've been using the Valvoline VR-1 racing oil for a long time now. It's probably the best rated conventional oil there is according to 540 Rat's charts. Suggest you guys read over the chart he posted. It's good reading with factual information.
I helped a friend rebuild his 467 BBC 27 years ago and he recently gave me the truck. It has a CC 268H flat tappet cam. I recall spring pressure was over 330 lbs on the nose. Motor has over 80k miles on a steady diet of Valvoline 20W/50 non-synthetic racing oil. I recently had the intake off and the cam looks great. It's $6/Qt but well worth it for a quality oil that doesn't require any additives.
post #98 of 110 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 10:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte442 View Post
Did you remove the pressure relief valve in the pump cover when you welded the pick up on ?
Helped a guy year ago who gas welded his pick up on. a Mellon HV SBC pump... the heat stiffened the oil pressure spring resulting in idel pressure @ 80 lb and bury the 100 lb S&W meter at anything above 2000 rpm... changed spring from old pump = A - OK

Wayne
TC # 186
ACES#1556

post #99 of 110 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 11:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not want to morph the thread... lost a cam and lifters on a fresh engine
Lunatie Voodoo cam and lifter kit ....
in the long run IMHO the # 3 intake and # 5 exhaust lifters collapsed.
disassembled the mother last week ... these two lifer were mushroomed and the lobes wiped .070 in the #3 intake and .045 on the #5 the 14 lifters all had nice 3/8 swirl marks but the two bad lifters were turning but wore down 1/8" plus.
I have no access to a Brunel Hardness tester but a spark test and fine file tests reveals Not bright spark like other of the 14 good one's but a dull Orange... and the File test on the good lifters hard hi pitched sound and no visible file down/cut on the edge Where the two bad lifters there was on each pass was low sound and visible cut hatch !

OH well first cam failure in my 50 plus years of building engines
only other failure was a 265 that I stuffed a latter SBC cam in and it id not had the cam flat spot !!! = blue bearings

Wayne
TC # 186
ACES#1556

post #100 of 110 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Ever find out the cause of all the carnage?

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #101 of 110 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 16, 2:55 AM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadknee View Post
I helped a friend rebuild his 467 BBC 27 years ago and he recently gave me the truck. It has a CC 268H flat tappet cam. I recall spring pressure was over 330 lbs on the nose. .
====================

" Motor has over 80k miles on a steady diet of Valvoline 20W/50 non-synthetic racing oil. I recently had the intake off and the cam looks great. It's $6/Qt but well worth it for a quality oil that doesn't require any additives. "

FYI,thats because you did the right thing using oil the was designed & formulated specifically for Ft cam use that has a quality base stock oil along with a quality additive containing approx 1,400ppm of anti wear agent / zddp (Zinc & Phos) thats just right for ft cam protection & nice long normal srvc life just like you got.

Scott ,read this announcement - https://www.chevelles.com/forums/58-r...uncements.html

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
2009 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC ULTRA (GOT 11/14 W-9,700 miles)

Last edited by Mike; Mar 18th, 16 at 2:58 PM.
post #102 of 110 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 16, 3:21 AM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO View Post
I'm all about using your data, please just tell me what oil to use with my 360 inch flattappet engine, thanks.
=================

Mark,you have a pm!

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
2009 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC ULTRA (GOT 11/14 W-9,700 miles)
post #103 of 110 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 16, 7:49 PM
Tech Team
Andy

Garage

Back in 1982 I had purchased a 1971 Chevelle with a nicely Built 355 from a friend of mine. They engine was built buy a local reputable shop, seemed to run good, car had a muncie and 12 bolt 3:73 rear. The Engine had a Crane Fireball FT Hyd cam, a low profile single plane intake and a 600 Holley DP.

Not long after I had purchased the car, I discovered it had ate a lobe/lifter - been that way since break in I guessed. Not knowing any better, I flushed the engine in the car with oil, swapped in a Comp 292H FT and a Weiand intake.... broke in the new cam and changed oil again, and tuned it up and ran it.

It had another 5,000+ miles on it when I sold it, still holding 40+ #'s oil pressure showing no signs of any issue. Regularly running it to 6000+ Rpms.... I had sold the car due to a spiral crack in the frame over the right Rear wheel. I had never seen anything like that, wasn't sure if that was due to my penchant to drop the clutch at about 6,000 RPMS from about every stop light and redlight I cam across. I went through 2 sets of L60's in that 5,000 miles...

I know better today and certainly would tackle it differently today, if I found a trashed lobe and lifter, but back then I was 18 and didn't have a lot of money. It is more prevalent of an issue today, but it happened back then as well.
post #104 of 110 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 16, 8:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

Lifter and cam are lubed by splash from the rods.
Ditto for piston skirts.

Bummer Alan!

Ron[/QUOTE]

Wrong!!
post #105 of 110 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 16, 12:05 AM
Tech Team
Scott

Why is everyone so quick to trash Comp? I love their stuff and have never had an issue in 20+ years.
This doesn't have the symptoms of a cam failure. It sounds more like bearing failure possibily due to debris in the oiling system taking out one or more bearings. Been there.... Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1248 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.