Point me to a good machine shop in Ontario, GTA (Toronto). - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 15, 2:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Point me to a good machine shop in Ontario, GTA (Toronto).

Hello TC,

Super anxious to get going on my project 496, but I'm still searching for a good shop in the Greater Toronto area. I'm in Burlington and I think this might be the biggest decision of the build, so I want to get it right. How I wish I lived in GLA!

I went and spoke with Howie at R+B Engines in Oakville, but he doesn't plate hone, and It's common knowledge I'll certainly need it for .060 over. The only other shops I could find anything written on line about were Active Engines, Nash, Beatty and Wood's and Aurora. But very little even on those.

I really need a boost here with some solid advice as I feel I'm stalled without it. I don't know anybody personally that has had a performance block machined around here, so I'm kind of out there on my own. If needed, I'd even consider travelling across to upper Western NY, to find a good reputable shop that will do me fairly, as I'm only one hour away.

Looking for block cleaning, NDT inspection, a good quality plate bore/hone to .060, Deck and possibly align hone. Lifter true? Cam bearings, plugs, etc...The standard stuff.

I already have what appears to be a nice, solid and clean 4 bolt .30 over 454 Mark block, a Mike Lewis balanced Scat steel crank and rods, and the Probe SRS pistons that came with the Mike's kit.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers and thanks, Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 15, 3:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage
Active Engines used to have an excellent reputation.They built a real nice working 350sbc for my Uncle Fred in the eighties.Far as I know they are still good...
Guy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 15, 5:48 PM
Team Member
Dan

Re: Point me to a good machine shop in Ontario, GTA (Toronto).

Beatty & Woods in Mississauga, Chuck & Jeff know their stuff. They're good people.

Dan

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 15, 5:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Pretty parts. What heads are you going with?

1971 Chevelle Triple Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VortecPro 496, 9.8:1 comp. 049 heads 2.25/1.88 valves, [email protected] Isky Hyd Roller, Eddy Air Gap, Holley HP1000, Doug's D316 Headers, Hughes TH400, ATI converter, GM 12 Bolt, 3.42 Posi, SEE DYNO VIDEO
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 15, 7:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Race-Rite BB-O's.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 15, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gerry

Give Steve a call. Great to work with!
www.stevesautoandmachine.com

67 SS BBC
4.11's
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 15, 12:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Eagle Engines in Woodbridge. Ask for Don. They machined my 496 and many other engines I've built. Great to deal with and they hone with plates. (905) 660-4646 cheers
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 15, 12:45 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Beattie and Woods
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 6:24 PM
Tech Team
Andreas

A&J automotive if Nova Scotia isn't too far!

They currently have my 502 and are going to do up my short block.

Allyn and John Armstrong own the shop. They are very respectable engine builders and have been in the business for a long time! Both drag race and I know Allyn's Opel with an engine he built ( machined the block) has set records in North America!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 15, 8:02 PM
Team Member
steve

Hi
You might want to try Ed Wiens Automotive in Niagara on the Lake.
He has a complete machine shop and specializes in BBC.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 15, 4:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions guys,

I think I'm going with Active engines in Missisauga. Just got back with spending a hour talking to the owner Mike Kerley. He explained everything that needs to be done with the block in great detail (Mike obviously loves to talk!). Toured the shop. He showed me some of his newest equipment and the engines in progress. The place is a beehive of activity, and has engines on the go from all makes. He is Mercury Marines main engine shop in Canada as well.

He asked me about my plan, my car, then offered some suggestions on the direction I might consider taking with the 496. So I'm quite impressed with the personal time he took with me. Mike also got pretty emotional about the loss of his brother Wayne this year. To talk about that personal loss with someone he just met is big in my books.

This will not be a cheap proposition in the least. But at least it'll be done right.

Cheers and thanks, Mark

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 15, 5:41 PM
Tech Team
RANDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asnarby View Post
A&J automotive if Nova Scotia isn't too far!

They currently have my 502 and are going to do up my short block.

Allyn and John Armstrong own the shop. They are very respectable engine builders and have been in the business for a long time! Both drag race and I know Allyn's Opel with an engine he built ( machined the block) has set records in North America!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I remember the Armstrongs from back in the late 60's/early 70's running a Chevy Stovebolt powered Anglia?? I believe. The sound of that high winding Stovebolt was famous at the time!! If I remember correctly they had a regular maintenance schedule that included tightening the flywheel bolts every few runs.

Thanks
Randy
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 15, 6:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnpont View Post
Thanks for all the excellent suggestions guys,

I think I'm going with Active engines in Missisauga. Just got back with spending a hour talking to the owner Mike Kerley. He explained everything that needs to be done with the block in great detail (Mike obviously loves to talk!). Toured the shop. He showed me some of his newest equipment and the engines in progress. The place is a beehive of activity, and has engines on the go from all makes. He is Mercury Marines main engine shop in Canada as well.

He asked me about my plan, my car, then offered some suggestions on the direction I might consider taking with the 496. So I'm quite impressed with the personal time he took with me. Mike also got pretty emotional about the loss of his brother Wayne this year. To talk about that personal loss with someone he just met is big in my books.

This will not be a cheap proposition in the least. But at least it'll be done right.

Cheers and thanks, Mark
I don't think you will regret choosing them.
Back when my late Uncle Fred had them build an engine for his then brand new 1982 Z28 they came highly recommended by a "Gear Head" we worked with.
Very sorry to hear about the loss of Mike's twin brother Wayne,that must have been a hard blow.
They told my Uncle Fred they would build him a "Bulletproof" LT-1 350,(old school LT-1).
You could drop it from a 747 and not hurt it they told my Uncle,and he did his best to see how tough it was and never hurt it.
Tranny went,then the rearend but the 350 held together for many years.
Guy

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1460 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.