th400 2nd gear leave ? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 13, 5:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

th400 2nd gear leave ?

HI i have full manual valve th400, trans go full manual valve kit, 34 element sprag, good clutchs ect, 454or bbc, 530hp ,580fltlbs, 3700 lbs, 3.42 ,gear, 26.1 drag radial, stall flash 3500 rpm, 175 shot nitrous,
How hard is it on th400 doing this ? or how hard is it on anything ,who has done this , we got race on old airport strip ,no burnout allowed any help advise please
thanks
Victtor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 13, 6:43 PM
Banned
Anthony

Re: th400 2nd gear leave ?

Cant say on the th400 but a friend of mine had a camaro with a 383 and a th350 years ago and he ended up leaving in 2nd gear because of traction. Ran it that way for a while untill the tranny went and then upgraded to a glide.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 13, 7:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

If you can get away with leaving in a 1.45 gear it won't be especially hard on the tranny. And at least you won't likely be spinning your tires on the line.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 13, 7:44 PM
Tech Team

cant you leave easy in 1st and after your out a bit then spray it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 13, 8:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Davey

not that uncommon...one of the most popular T-brakes we sell (Griner) has a 1+2 option that lets you use the brake in 1st or 2nd gear...

Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SloMo...

'67 Chevelle 516 hyd roller
4.11's
9.06 best mph 147.75
5.73 best mph 119.98
3520 lbs to 3570 depending on fuel
1.26 60 ft
Straub/Foxwell
Motor by Mark Jones

E-Store at
crazydaveyracing.com

Davey..
TC Gold Level Know it All
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 13, 8:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

For longterm reliability i'd add another intermediate friction and tighten up the clearence to .040 to .060. Switch to BorgWarner High energy frictions if you have the stock style waffles or some unknown brown.

Usually shock going from 1-2 hurts the sprag, a 2nd gear launch with a 34 element should be fine.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 13, 11:44 PM
jakeshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
For longterm reliability i'd add another intermediate friction and tighten up the clearence to .040 to .060. Switch to BorgWarner High energy frictions if you have the stock style waffles or some unknown brown.

Usually shock going from 1-2 hurts the sprag, a 2nd gear launch with a 34 element should be fine.
I usually add a friction to the intermediate on all my 400 builds and run ~.060 clearance but it's not critical on a dedicated 2nd gear leaver, nothing wrong with the OEM tan frictions for that application. You could run any clutch in that pack, 3 would be plenty, and the clearance doesn't really matter. You can also do it with an 8 element roller clutch
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 13, 2:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Ok, but i would still add the extra friction, tighten up the clearence and use the better sprag if I was building it for my personal car.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 13, 7:39 PM
jakeshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
Ok, but i would still add the extra friction, tighten up the clearence and use the better sprag if I was building it for my personal car.
On a dedicated 2nd gear leaver, the clearance has no effect. You could have .100+ clearance. There is also good reason to use a roller clutch on that type of deal too but I'm giving away too much info so I'll leave it at that. On a dedicated 2nd gear leaver I don't use any intermediate clutches.
On a 1+2 deal, it becomes critical because it will make 1-2 shifts. Launching in 2nd is a different ballgame.

Last edited by jakeshoe; Sep 25th, 13 at 8:02 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 13, 8:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

He already has the 34 element sprag, thats moot.

Chances are the trans may someday see action where it leaves in 1st, why have a trans not built to handle the 1-2? Op asked about leaving in 2nd, not building a dedicated 2nd gear leaver. If you want to build a 400 with 3 stock frictions, an 8 element sprag and .100 intermediate clearence then I don't give a flying fart.

Nothing wrong with the advice i gave, if you think it is overkill then fine, but it's not wrong or incorrect. It's how the 400 is in my car, and someone very well know built that unit and it's a 2nd gear leaver. Actually i'm wrong, mine doesn't have a 34 element sprag, it has no sprag.

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

8.02 at 171mph:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2210 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.