421 dyno results - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

421 dyno results

Spent Friday on the dyno testing 421 pump gas build for a customer, He was looking for a 600 horse pump gas build and we achieved our goals with this build. Torque was very impressive @ 574 FT LBS. Tried to build this with all shelf stock parts so it so it could be duplicated. The good thing this is just a street car and only needed to turn this engine 6400 to make peak power.

Little about the build

Dart SHP block 4.155 bore
Callies 3.875 D/S crank
Callies 6 inch rods
Mahle pistons
Clevite V bearings
Steffs custom aluminum pan
Bullet S/R roller cam 1.000 base circle cam
.904 Morel lifters
AFR heads 220/75cc chambers ( Thanks Tony Mamo )
061040 World intake
Pro Systems carb
MSD Distributor
ATI balancer
Crower SS rockers 1.5
Mellings 10552 pump

Website is up and running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Machine shop tour

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monthly Specials

Last edited by CNC BLOCKS N/E; Jul 20th, 13 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 12:02 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Re: 421 dyno results

Congrats, nice job Carl.

Mountain Lion Motorsports
Bethel,CT
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 12:07 PM
Tech Team

Very nice, That is about where my pump gas 434 was, Nice numbers.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 4:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

that is one sweet small block! the really sweet part is it's just the CORRECT combo of off the shelf parts..nice!

Greg C.
1969 Chevelle Malibu
New, waaaay overcammed 496 "The Dud"
[email protected]
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 4:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Great job, That's a killer small block. Someone will be very happy with that mouse.

1971 Chevelle Triple Black

VortecPro 496, 9.8:1 comp. 049 heads 2.25/1.88 valves, [email protected] Isky Hyd Roller, Eddy Air Gap, Holley HP1000, Doug's D316 Headers, Hughes TH400, ATI converter, GM 12 Bolt, 3.42 Posi, SEE DYNO VIDEO
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 9:05 PM
AJS
Tech Team
Alan

Mighty mouse would be proud. Sweet engine. Those are crower stainless steel shaft rockers?

69 Chevelle sport coupe
72 Buick GS
72 Buick Skylark

Troy built 6.5hp 21" lawnmower with governor removed-this baby screams!
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 9:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

Looks like a good one Carl! Can you share ballpark cam specs?

You could go into the 'serious" crate engine business!

JIM

'67 Vette-555"/Gforce 5 Spd/Dana 60 IRS-3.07's

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 13, 8:27 AM
Senior Tech Team

most street engines live below 3600 RPM's, so I never get to excited about max power, more about idle vac. and torq in the driving range, but dynos don't seem to produce #'s down low
good #'s though

when your credit cards are maxed, have the limits raised
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 13, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcd ind View Post
most street engines live below 3600 RPM's, so I never get to excited about max power, more about idle vac. and torq in the driving range, but dynos don't seem to produce #'s down low
good #'s though
By a GM stock crate engine lie a target master you should be fine.

This exactly what the customer wanted and he is very happy with a 6 speed and 4:11 in the rear he can run what ever he wants for RPM.

I have built a lot of street and strip engines that build peak torque over 3600 and so far no complaints.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

Last edited by CNC BLOCKS N/E; Jul 21st, 13 at 10:56 AM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 13, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Hotrod View Post
Looks like a good one Carl! Can you share ballpark cam specs?

You could go into the 'serious" crate engine business!

JIM
259/263 SR 108 Lobe sep .626 lift.

I get a few of these engines a year to do and that's enough for me, I have a lot of circle track engines and block work that keeps me pretty busy LOL.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 13, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS View Post
Mighty mouse would be proud. Sweet engine. Those are crower stainless steel shaft rockers?
Stud mount rockers that's what he had brand new. If he would have bought the shafts I would have gone to a 227 Dart or AFR head.

All in all it came out as planned it did not need a lot of RPM to make peak power with this set up.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 13, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Thats a nice street motor just waiting for its turn at the track.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 13, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Thats a nice street motor just waiting for its turn at the track.
I doubt this would ever see any track time, If the customer did not already have the stud mount Crower rockers I would have gone with the 227 Dart or AFR heads and made some real power. LOL

For only needing 6400 RPM for peak power its a great street build and should last a long time.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 13, 1:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcd ind View Post
good #'s though
I never quite understand these type comments. Yes...when street driving most street engines stay well under 4000 RPM.

But what does that have to do with power? That's at part throttle operation-cruise mode. That's a driveability issue..not a power issue. What would a number at WOT and 2000 RPM mean to anyone *(plus few dyno's can hold a high power motor down in that range)? If you go WOT at 2000 RPM you're going to be through that in about a nano-second with any sort of converter,trans combo...and if you've got a stick trans hopefully folks will drop out of high gear when trying to do it.

"Torque in the driving range" is again a part throttle deal unless you're talking about towing a trailer up a mountain with your foot stuffed in it. You can drive around all day and never use 50-100 HP.

I'm not trying to be a jerk...I understand what you're saying. I drive rental cars regularly while traveling for work, and the driveability new stuff achieves with V-6's and turbo'd 4's is amazing to me. I had a Ford Eco Boost the other day that was great....and the 305HP V6 Mustangs do good on a 50 MPH roll. Heck even Chrysler 300's drive great. They are incredibly smooth and torquey at low RPM...and when you smack them they have a very fat torque curve...but they rev to 5000-7000 rpm for the max TQ/HP ranges and shift pretty high.

JIM
Thor454 likes this.

'67 Vette-555"/Gforce 5 Spd/Dana 60 IRS-3.07's

Best ET
Best MPH

200 MPH at TX Mile

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 13, 1:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

Nice thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2384 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.