Drag Only Chevelle Build - Page 14 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #196 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 18, 11:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Re: Drag Only Chevelle Build

So,,,, how was your day Mac .............
bigmachd likes this.

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 12:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I don't care much for days like that. Damn

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #198 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 1:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Good Lord.......

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #199 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 6:56 AM
Senior Tech Team

Welcome to the world of drag racing. And you wanted a drag only Chevelle!!!!!!! I just walked away from it myself.
post #200 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 7:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jarad

That wheel is way out of round! What was the 60'? You guys got it out and ran it after a huge undertaking. Still impressed.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
bigmachd likes this.

72 Slovelle
555 Pump Gas BBC
Best so far:
5.87-118.52 MPH
post #201 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 8:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoggs View Post
That wheel is way out of round! What was the 60'? You guys got it out and ran it after a huge undertaking. Still impressed.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
Quite a day, I'd probably been so pissed I would've turned around & went home.
JBoggs likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #202 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 8:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

The tire mishap kind of sucks.. I bet you secure it much different next time.. a learning experience.
I really do not see too much frustration as it happens to all of us and for a car that you guys never test drove it did not do too bad.
I have had converters die in 8 miles, l luckily I was 1 mile from home.
New starters new fuel pumps and distributors have failed me in mere minutes of use ..I have had alternators only make the drive around the block.

You never know what will happen.
At least you did get to learn if the car goes straight.. sounds like the chassis will be working very well for you.
I bet you are more excited about racing it again than you are upset about the mishaps.
66SSFan and bigmachd like this.
post #203 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfplace View Post
So,,,, how was your day Mac .............
everybody is a comedian ....... not so bad I guess, had worse, at least I'm still here to bitch about it
Wolfplace likes this.

1970 Chevelle SS full weight street car (4030lbs)
498-11.5:1 (Mac built) 91 pump gas+
Strauby sissy roller -
brodix-rr rec 294
weiand stelth- Pro Systems 1000
turbo 400 10" 3200 Coan 4.10 12 bolt
Best Passes on28-10.5-15 slicks and 110
1.56-6.97-99.83
1.6194-11.1666-120.94

And a drag [email protected]

If it wasn't dangerous, it wouldn't be fun!

post #204 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 18, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mac

yeah all in all a pretty sucky day, forgot a bunch of stuff at home, (big hurry) like jack, laptop to change timing, rpm limits and shift points, camera, and some other stuff, don't even know where the slip is, gave it to crew chief when I pulled into pit, I will ask, maybe even post if y'all promise not to look at the rt.
We Did get a lot of compliments on the build, lots asked about paint and we told them we were just gonna rattle can "SOMEDAY" across the doors ,.
Don't know what else we could have tied the slicks down with, if you look in the pic of truck and trailer you can see the ratchet strap across them, crew chief loaded them and tied them down and I checked them, both ends of strap was still hooked on rub rail, ratchet still locked, :confused :, just one of the mysteries of the universe I reckon.
Have NEW slicks AND different brand starter coming, will exchange "lifetime warranty" one and throw it in trailer for a spare.
Brain in air bag system is bad, gotta call them tomorrow and get one headed this way fast.
Need to change spark plugs to colder plug before full throttle pass, just for a little safety margin, stock is 5, has 6 in it now and will install 7 or 8 before Friday, got a little more sheet metal work done yesterday underneath rear quarters, they were full of rocks from the pits, didn't want to be throwing rocks at cars going down the track. WE "should" be a little more organized this next weekend.....SHOULD , we're going to try it again........ for some reason .
WE do appreciate all the comments and compliments, THANKS !
Wolfplace likes this.

Strauby sissy roller -
brodix-rr rec 294
1.56-6.97-99.83
1.6194-11.1666-120.94

post #205 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 18, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
The tire mishap kind of sucks.. I bet you secure it much different next time.. a learning experience.
I really do not see too much frustration as it happens to all of us and for a car that you guys never test drove it did not do too bad.
I have had converters die in 8 miles, l luckily I was 1 mile from home.
New starters new fuel pumps and distributors have failed me in mere minutes of use ..I have had alternators only make the drive around the block.

You never know what will happen.
At least you did get to learn if the car goes straight.. sounds like the chassis will be working very well for you.
I bet you are more excited about racing it again than you are upset about the mishaps.
yep, just because its a new part doesn't mean its a good part, and you are correct sir, we are more ready to go now than ever, THIS is going to be a long week. !.............What mishaps ?
jeff swisher likes this.

Strauby sissy roller -
brodix-rr rec 294
1.56-6.97-99.83
1.6194-11.1666-120.94

post #206 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 18, 1:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
Welcome to the world of drag racing. And you wanted a drag only Chevelle!!!!!!! I just walked away from it myself.
Feeling remorse? Lol
bigmachd likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #207 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 18, 7:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Looking at the strap on the tire you sure would not think it would come off there at all.
Run an extra one through the rim.. or tie some 550 cord around the strap and through the lug holes.
I use 550 cord or bailing wire to safety "secure" my hooks on the chains or my boom handles or come-alongs.

Just never know when something wants to shake loose.
Saved me a couple times.

My buddy just purchased a 21 foot ski boat a few years ago.. towed it from another state to his place.. fixed it all up really clean and slick.. decided one day to go to the lake and test it out.
He grabbed another friend and they hooked ti to the truck and were all exited to go to the lake.
Heading down the highway at 65 MPH he glances a motion in his side mirror.

It is the boat on the trailer trying to pass him.
It heads for the grass and hits the cable retaining system that stops cars from going into the opposite traffic.
The cable caught the trailer and the boat launches off the trailer and luckily stops short of the paved highway.

He said it was surreal like is this really happening!!!

Seems between the 2 of them they never latched the hitch and did not hook up safety chains.. excitement got the better of them.

So just know your trailer and car stayed attached
bigmachd likes this.
post #208 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 18, 8:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
Feeling remorse? Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
I miss the car. I don't miss headaches like this and the work that went with it. Not with my Chevelle, but I've been on the side of the road with broken hold downs and the car half off the trailer, and tire blowouts.

The comments of "as long as the car and trailer made it home in one piece was a good day" exist for a REASON!!!!

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #209 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 18, 12:28 PM

great progress, wish i was here from the start but im here now!
post #210 of 282 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 18, 8:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

Ouch...Those pictures of the slick and rim are painful to look at Sorry that happened.
It`s crazy how things decide to act up once you get to the track !

Looking forward to better outings in the near future !
bigmachd likes this.

Steve
68 BISCAYNE 4060lb
468-9.4:1
1.76 60FT Drag Radials
11.69 [email protected] 116.30 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in