Fuel system question - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 13, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Fuel system question

I've been researching and researching and researching fuel system posts. I decided to bump up from my holley blue to an aeromotive pump and while I'm down there just go ahead and go to a 1/2 line from 3/8. My question is braided or hard line? From what Ive read I haven't really been able to find which one is superior. I have both in my garage. The braided is gonna be a heck of a lot easier to install but I wanted to get some opinions or preferably facts if there's gonna be a downside to braided over a hard line. Sorry to beat another subject to death.

'65 chevelle-black on black
502ci, brodix RR 294cc w/brodix dual plane intake, Straub hydraulic roller cam, built turbo 350
3500 stall
Ford 9" 430 gears, tubbed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 13, 2:53 AM
Tech Team
George

Lightbulb Re: Fuel system question

Hard line is best going from the rear to the front mounted on the chassi.
Just use braided line conecting the engine to hardline and tank to pump, pump to chassi.
Just my opinion
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 13, 7:49 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Fuel system question

Well, lately the issue has been the weird unleaded gas breaking down steel braided line. It doesn't happen right away, I would say 10 years? Then you start to get the constant gas smells in the garage from the fuel permeating the line. Eventually if it gets bad enough it will develop leaks. I know of 3 of my friends that had to replace their lines. 2 out of the 3 felt it wasn't bad and replaced the line with steel braid again.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 13, 7:50 AM
Senior Tech Team

Braided line in a big size like that is $$$$.

Most of it seeps gaoline vapor; makes your car & garage reek of fuel 100% of the time.

IMO hard line is the way to go; with the shortest practical sections of flex line, only where motion needs to be accommodated. And for those, use the $$$$$$$ Teflon-lined stuff that isn't permeable by fuel.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 13, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jason

Which supplier of hard line in 1/2" size?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 13, 7:59 AM
Tech Team
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownchevelle68 View Post
Summit has annealed aluminum 1/2 in in a roll
I have used the Moroso seamless wall works good.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 13, 3:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Anhtuan Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownchevelle68 View Post
McMaster Carr has stainless steel or aluminum. You will need a quality tubing bender for the stainless steel line though. The 304 smooth-bore seamless stainless line is what I got and found by reading "F1 Speed"'s posts.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/149/=l9ho73

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 13, 4:16 PM
Tech Team
John

I am about to redo my system too. Summit has this -8 PTFE lined braided hose for $75/20' which doesn't seem bad. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220993/overview/
Of course, they say you have to use the Summit brand PTFE-specific hose ends. But even they aren't that expensive.

Summit has this interesting warning on all of the fuel hose they sell: In recent years various fuel manufactures may have added any number of new unpublished additives to their fuel blends. Due to this fact it is very difficult for hose manufacturers to know how the inner liner of their elastomeric tube compounds will react with a given fuel. Because of these unknowns we are unable to guarantee that the hoses we provide are the best possible products to use with any specific fuel. The most commonly reported issue being a fuel odor that permeates from the hose. If there is any doubt regarding the fuel you plan to run we recommend that you select a PTFE lined hose for your application.

1970 Monte in the 11s
1968 Camaro in the 10s
Street Cars are More Fun!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 13, 5:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

I used PTFE braided hose from here... http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/inde...90b6719d556504

It's $3.49 per foot. You have to use their fittings also. I like that the outer diameter is smaller when compared to rubber. PTFE hose is stiff compared to rubber, but as long as you're not trying to make a really tight bend, it's nice stuff.

71 Chevelle SS
zz502 (Straub Cam, RPM Airgap, ProSystems Carb, MSD, etc.)
Rossler TH400
Built 12 bolt 4:11

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 13, 8:34 PM
Tech Team
George

Don't use frozenboost.com or Summit for there PTFE line or fittings there inside diameters are restrictive use the big name brands ,with the PTFE line make sure the PTFE is a black colour not clear or white
ask me how I found all this out Lol
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 13, 8:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Quote:
with the PTFE line make sure the PTFE is a black colour not clear or white
What's the difference?

71 Chevelle SS
zz502 (Straub Cam, RPM Airgap, ProSystems Carb, MSD, etc.)
Rossler TH400
Built 12 bolt 4:11

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 13, 9:18 PM
Tech Team
George

The clear or white PTFE with high flow creates static which thay are finding out
And thay are putting some carbon into the PTFE to stop that, that's why the good PTFE is black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2507 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.