Header & Carb size help - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 4:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Header & Carb size help

I need some help here on what brand / size headers & carb sizing (Long post): I have read and researched until my eyes bled (including this forum) , to find out what size & brand headers I should use (& carb size) on my 67 chevelle SS 396, factory 4 spd & rear end 3:31. I know the header primaries will be either 1 3/4 or 1 7/8.
I do not want to go smaller than a 700 cfm carb.
It will be a street car restored original, except for intake, carb, & exhaust. I will attempt to retain an original look.

I actually want to pattern it after a 66 chevelle 396 that I had back in 1980. The headers that I had then had a removeable drivers side primary tube for #5 cylinder that would slip in & out, for spark plug removal.
I wish I could remember what brand or size these headers were, but they worked great.
This car had a Crane hydraulic (about 4 steps above factory) that idled about 850 rpm and made power up to 6000 rpm, but worked best when shifted at 5600 rpm. Carb was a 750 Holley - this car drove like a dream, focused on low / mid-range power, and hauled butt. No body could figure out why a 10:1 compression car was so fast..., but I was in my glory.
The downfall to this car was when I put a Holley 650 on it, due to a cracked throttle body on the 750. I was sick - throttle response was good but power hit a wall at 4800 rpm, no more 3 gear posi burn outs after that. It just didn't have the power.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Last edited by guitargeak99; Dec 23rd, 12 at 6:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 4:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Re: Header & Carb size help

I don't think you want any bigger headers then 1 3/4", 750-780 cfm carb is right in my opinion. People run bigger of each at this ci but I think bigger probably is not as good.
Jon

72 Monte Carlo (3865 lb Street/sStrip Orange Monster)
6.09/113.75 mph 1.32 60 ft.
9.634/141.50 mph-best pass

79 Trans Am Super Street, Top Eliminator, Super Pro , Quick 16, Hot Rod
5.25 eighth mile
8's quarter mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 6:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

The headers you had were " Appliance " I had a set on my 66 396 back in late 69/70 ...
... they were 2" primary couple of the plugs were real tight

I had them kickin around for years donated them for a budget build a couple years ago

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 7:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

1-3/4" primary tube headers with a 3" collector. Avoid a 3.5" collector (too big) if you can.

For a carb, I'd run an HP950 on it. Its the same venturi size as your old 750 and would have similar throttle response but would flow more and give you better power up top. This carb does not have a choke horn on it and would not look original with the air cleaner off.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro 427" E85 burning small block. 9.90 @ 135 mph through the mufflers on motor. Best 60' 1.319 on motor. 5.92 @ 116 1/8th mile on spray with 1.425 sixty on the back tires.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 8:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Hedman Elite 68198 headers. Fit nice, thick construction, coated, and have ball/socket collectors. Can be had for $350 shipped which isn't bad for a coated header.

7xx Holley with vac secondaries.

71 Chevelle SS
zz502 (Straub Cam, RPM Airgap, ProSystems Carb, MSD, etc.)
Rossler TH400
Built 12 bolt 4:11

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 8:43 PM
Tech Team
gary

steve go on ebay,those headers that you had.the tubes that come off they have a pair of them on there.type in big block chevy headers in ebay motors.go to parts and acc.i seen them today.good luck.i am going to get me a set of hedman elite ceramic coated headers for my '66 SS 396.

will spend my life working on a '66
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
The headers you had were " Appliance " I had a set on my 66 396 back in late 69/70 ...
... they were 2" primary couple of the plugs were real tight
2" primaries?! Come to think of it mine did look pretty big. Everyone says that 2" is too big, but I remember my car having tons of torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick71ss View Post
Hedman Elite 68198 headers. Fit nice, thick construction, coated, and have ball/socket collectors. Can be had for $350 shipped which isn't bad for a coated header.
7xx Holley with vac secondaries.
How do the Headman's fit? I know I hear a lot about people having to take a hammer to Hookers.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 12, 8:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

I know they fit 68-72 without any dings or mods needed and they tuck up under the car great. Do a search for "68198" to see if any 66/67 owners have commented on their fit.

Edit: Here you go... https://www.chevelles.com/reviews/sho...hp?product=148

2nd and last post are from 66/67 owners.

71 Chevelle SS
zz502 (Straub Cam, RPM Airgap, ProSystems Carb, MSD, etc.)
Rossler TH400
Built 12 bolt 4:11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2434 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.