Vortec Roller Block 383 Build? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 12, 5:59 PM Thread Starter
ryne

Vortec Roller Block 383 Build?

I just bought a vortec 350 engine block w/ mechanical fuel pump provision. I want to build a 383 roller motor using most the parts I already have. I plan on buying this eagle roating assmbley from summit B13404L03053. It comes with dish with d shaped 12 cc pistons. It will have about 9.75 to 1 compression with 64 cc heads (EagleRod.com).

Hear is my list of parts I already have.
2000 chevy 350 roller block
stock oil pan 1 pc
Vortec heads from Scoggin Dickey w/upgrades .525 lift max 64cc
tall proform valve covers
edelbrock vortec RPM Intake
billet underdrive pullies
Hei igntion
headers

Parts Im planning on buying

Eagle rotating assembly
Gm Hot cam
1.5 roller rockers
larger carb

How much hp and torque should I expect from this build?
Any other CAM reccomendations? 69 Chevelle TH350 3.73 Posi 2200 stall
Carb currently is edelbrock 600
Thinking about a demon. Any carb reccomendations and cfm? Mostly street driven. Non daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 12, 9:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave 383 now

Re: Vortec Roller Block 383 Build?

450 hp should be easy to get.
The GM Hot cam would not suit your build.
Look at the cam they use in the ZZ383 it would be better.

Camshaft lift (in): .509 intake / .528 exhaust
Camshaft duration (@.050 in): 222'c1 intake / 230'c1 exhaust

I would use a 3000 stall and a Holley 750 Street HP

Dave
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 12, 10:11 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

I got a 770 street avenger on my vortec 383, seems to work pretty good. Also I second a 3000 stall, I like mine.

67 Beaumont

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 12, 11:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Second ditching the Hot Cam. Too mild for a 383. Had a stock like idle and performance in my old 350. Call Chris Straub or Mike Lewis for cam recommendations. They know their stuff and won't steer you wrong. You might talk to Mike about the rotating assembly. I got mine from him for a great price and it was all professionally balanced and shipped to my door. He is cheaper than Summit and the work is much better than the "Factory Balanced" assemblies that you get from Summit. You do get what you pay for with engine parts.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969chevellemalibu View Post
I just bought a vortec 350 engine block w/ mechanical fuel pump provision. I want to build a 383 roller motor using most the parts I already have. I plan on buying this eagle roating assmbley from summit B13404L03053. It comes with dish with d shaped 12 cc pistons. It will have about 9.75 to 1 compression with 64 cc heads (EagleRod.com).

Hear is my list of parts I already have.
2000 chevy 350 roller block
stock oil pan 1 pc
tall proform valve covers
edelbrock vortec RPM Intake
billet underdrive pullies
Hei igntion
headers

Parts Im planning on buying

Eagle rotating assembly
Gm Hot cam
1.5 roller rockers
larger carb

How much hp and torque should I expect from this build?
Any other CAM reccomendations? 69 Chevelle TH350 3.73 Posi 2200 stall
Carb currently is edelbrock 600
Thinking about a demon. Any carb reccomendations and cfm? Mostly street driven. Non daily driver.
I've got 2 Pro Series Lunati Cranks left. These are $1700 1 pc cranks. I can spec and ship you a rotating kit with one of these for a killer price. PM if you are interested.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 9:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969chevellemalibu View Post
:
If those are the mexican casting good luck trying to make power as the runners are only a 159CC intake runner instead of 170 CC like GM advertises.

I would look at the Dart SHP 200CC aluminum heads as they can be bought for 920.00 dollars and seem to work pretty good.

Website is up and running

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 3:45 PM
Tech Team
Ralph

I have done a quite a few of these stroker builds and each one has been very impressive for the money spent. Starting with the stock vortec 880 block you have a great foundation for your build. Have the block cleaned honed and cam bearing installed and your set to start the build. You will need to clearance the block for the stroker kit, it can be done by your self or have the shop that's cleaning the block do it. You can order a kit of ebay for some where around $800 with free shipping to your door. To save money you can just order the standard bore kit. The 880 castings have little to no where in the cylinders to speak of unless it is a VERY high mileage block. Order the roller cam to fit your driving style and match it to the gear ratio and converter you plan to use. If you get a complete vortec motor from a truck just reuse the heads with machine work to the valve springs and match the springs to the cam and your set. If you do a lot of work your self you should only spend $13 to $1500. for the build. More if you send it out for the machine work.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 4:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Alot of things to consider here.

You can get a rotating assembly that can with stand 500 horsepower and then step up from there.

Best bet is to get a cam and head package from Chris or some of the other grinders to match each other and throw in the intake from there.

Carb is the last thing to discuss.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 4:47 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Plan on changing your valve springs........

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 5:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAV8 View Post
I have done a quite a few of these stroker builds and each one has been very impressive for the money spent. Starting with the stock vortec 880 block you have a great foundation for your build. Have the block cleaned honed and cam bearing installed and your set to start the build. You will need to clearance the block for the stroker kit, it can be done by your self or have the shop that's cleaning the block do it. You can order a kit of ebay for some where around $800 with free shipping to your door. To save money you can just order the standard bore kit. The 880 castings have little to no where in the cylinders to speak of unless it is a VERY high mileage block. Order the roller cam to fit your driving style and match it to the gear ratio and converter you plan to use. If you get a complete vortec motor from a truck just reuse the heads with machine work to the valve springs and match the springs to the cam and your set. If you do a lot of work your self you should only spend $13 to $1500. for the build. More if you send it out for the machine work.
A lot of the ebay rotators do not use stroker rods and leads small base circle cams which is not the hot set up !!

The scat 9000 series crank for 6 inch rods will internally balance no problem, The scat I beams with 7/16 bolts are the way to go, I have been using the Mahle or Wiseco pistons with great results. Heads if your using an Air Gap intake the Dart SHP 180 or AFR heads are a good choice, If your using a single plane intake go with the Dart SHP 200 runner or 195 AFR heads.

I like the 880 castings Sonic test, Line hone, ARP main bolt kit, zero deck, bore and plate hone, stroker clearance I have used quite a few of the GM hot cams 234/242 cams with great results and cheap money for the cam kit. Real nice sound !!!

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 8:28 PM
Tech Team

If you do go with the Eagle kit, get the unbalanced kit and send to someone you know for balancing.

For sure pass on the balanced kit. I personally would pass on Eagle entirely and go with Scat. Mike Lewis for one can hook you up with a nice balanced rotating assembly at a fair price, that's speaking from first hand experience.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 9:59 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I've comletely quit using 1.5 rockers. every SBC I do has 1.6 rockers on 7/16" studs. there's no reason to do the 1.5 x 3/8" studs.

What Jake said, he's right. I also have first hand experience.
p40 likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 7:47 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave427 View Post
450 hp should be easy to get.
The GM Hot cam would not suit your build.
Look at the cam they use in the ZZ383 it would be better.

Camshaft lift (in): .509 intake / .528 exhaust
Camshaft duration (@.050 in): 222'c1 intake / 230'c1 exhaust

I would use a 3000 stall and a Holley 750 Street HP

Dave
With that combo a 750 is to big with the GM hot cam the engine will never consume 750 CFM

Just ran a 383 with on the dyno HYD roller 238/242 lift is .590 on 108 lobe sep. Dart 200 SHP heads. With a Quick Fuel 650 had a real flat torque curve 500 torque 507 horse real nice fuel curve. Tried a 850 actually hurt the HP and 3 more FT LBS of torque in the mid range.

Both carbs the engine was done about 6100 the Air Gap was the biggest restrictor that being said I will just go with the Dart 180's unless I went to a single plane intake then the 200's would work great.

That 650 Quick Fuel is for sale if interested PM Me.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 9:57 AM
Team Member
George

I'm using the same block for my build as well. Using the Scat rotating assembly with 6" rods though. Most seem to like the I beam rods with the the 7/16 rod bolts for clearance. My build is more comp, cam, head etc, but the scat rotator assembly should still work well for you.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 8:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
If those are the mexican casting good luck trying to make power as the runners are only a 159CC intake runner instead of 170 CC like GM advertises.

I would look at the Dart SHP 200CC aluminum heads as they can be bought for 920.00 dollars and seem to work pretty good.

"If those are the mexican casting good luck trying to make power"

Those things have a lot of problems, I wouldn't consider using those either.
CNC BLOCKS N/E likes this.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1064 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.